Dunder pit infections

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Dunder pit infections

Postby wtfdskin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Old Town wrote:So do you use any type of heating system inside of your insulated box?
I do in mine. I only run in the winter, gets way too hot in the garage over the summer.

I use an ebay 25$ temperature controller and a 10$ wal mart ceramic heater. Keeps my brandy ferments right at 70 and rum gets bumped up to 80. Built it to be knocked down for off season storage and on wheels to roll out of the way. Holds 4 14 gal barrels.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Postby OtisT » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Old Town wrote:So do you use any type of heating system inside of your insulated box?

My box is inside, and I use a 15W bulb when I need to raise the temp of my ferment. I made a tin foil hood for the bulb, as some feel direct light is not so good for yeast. Not sure if true, but being safe anyway.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
viewtopic.php?t=52975
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby ElCubanazo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:08 am

Finally siphoned off about half a gallon of my culture/infect to put in the fridge. I'd have done a gallon or two but the GF was already peeved about my disgusting experiment taking up a half gallon of space in our only fridge :lol:

Planing on using this half gallon either for spirit run or mixing with feints for a week for the spirit run as Otis suggested. Might pull more from the pit for my spirit run depending on ratios of water and fresh dunder.

Not gonna lie, the smells coming off this little milk just were.... A complex mix of beautiful and nasty. It's some interesting shit!!!
-El Cubanazo

¡Viva Cuba Libre!
ElCubanazo
Novice

Postby Shine0n » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Since I've only done this experiment in the summer I had no need for the box, now that fall is here I need to build one for the cooler weather so I can keep at 90+f.

I'm a gluten for punishment because I run all year, hot as hell and cold as Siberia, I just like the sound of the still running plus the end product of course. lol

I see no need to refrigerate the dunder, keep it in a 5 gallon bucket outdoors. OR get a few buckets of smaller size that you can put a set amount in to add to the set amount of low wines for a spirit run. Say 10 gallons LW and 2.5 gallons dunder for a 12.5 gal total.

I always diluted my LW to 35%Then add my dunder so I know I'm safe in the spirit run :thumbup:

Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Old Town » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:48 pm

I think I'm going to build me a box for this winter as well. I like the heater with the temp controller idea.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Postby wtfdskin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Old Town wrote:I think I'm going to build me a box for this winter as well. I like the heater with the temp controller idea.
Heres a link to a thread with my build. Mines near the end, I seem to be a thread killer, lol.

viewtopic.php?t=58523
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Postby Old Town » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:03 am

Yeah sorry ShineOn.. Back to the dunder pits..
Old Town
Swill Maker

Postby Stargazer14 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 am

I keep mine on top of the water heater in the basement which keeps an almost constant warm temp.
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Shine0n » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:59 pm

As long as Tater don't yell at us I'm fine with it, no need to go too far off though. lol

wtfdskin, nice box :thumbup:
Stargazer, I wouldn't be able to sit mine on the water heater, too big!

OT, what's up buddy
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Tater » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:15 pm

tater yelled
PLEASE READ THIS FORUMS RULES AND THESES Links: http://homedistiller.org and New Distiller Reading Lounge I use a pot still
Tater
Admin

Postby Shine0n » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:20 am

loud and clear, sorry!!!
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby NEGaxSEGa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 am

I just finished reading this whole thread, and I'm hooked on the idea of trying it, once I get my still running.

Thanks for the great read, der wo, ShineOn, and others.

I've also gotten a seed of an idea from this and the reading I've done on Belgian sour brewing traditions. When the weather gets cold enough (very cold), might it be useful to open the boiler while hot and let what remains inside cool naturally overnight? You should pick up an interesting and diverse mix of esther and acid producing critters this way, and it could serve as a starter for future dunder projects.
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Postby Shine0n » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 am

That would work, I don't always empty mine right after stillin and is usually cooled down.
sometimes I can't get back to it for a while because of work so I cap off the top of the keg with something because I don't want but sooo much funky shit in my boiler, I know it gets clean on the next run but if you've seen the pits.... that's not something I want in my boiler. lol

I hope you give it a try and like it as much as I have, it's definitely an interesting rum and is coming along nicely aging on oak.
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Old Town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi buddy I'm going to give your recipe a first try this weekend. I got enough supplies to fill my 30 gallon fermenter. That should give me enough for two stripping runs. I plan on starting my own dunder pit also can't wait to get started..
Old Town
Swill Maker

Postby Shine0n » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:54 am

OT, What's up buddy!
When you do the stripping runs, make sure to go wayyy down to capture as much flavors you can get.

The dunder is something you can use fresh or aged or infected, see how much low wines you collect and add accordingly. If using fresh dunder make sure not to over do it, since you run without a thumper I'd add no more than 10-15% total volume, on my next one using dunder I may scale it down as well. I'm letting the dunder age now till next summer and just make reg rum for the cold weather.
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Old Town » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 pm

I got quite a bit of distillers yeast I would like to use up. Would this be ok to use on the rum or should I get some bakers?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Postby kiwi Bruce » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:31 am

My two cents worth...if it will ferment...use it!
I'll just sit quietly in the corner over here, with a tall glass of something special.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Postby Shine0n » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm

+1 to what kiwi said, use it up :thumbup:

I've used Dady many times as it was 1 lb so it lasted a loooong time, I liked it just fine but I also love my bread yeast for rums.

Do you plan to strip then rerun with dunder?
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Old Town » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:55 am

Yes I do,I got enough for two stripping runs. I'll save the dunder and cut my stripping runs down to low wines with it. I started my ferment last night and no action out of the bubbler yet.. I don't know if it's warm enough in the house so I'm going to wrap it in a blanket and see if she gets going.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Postby Shine0n » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Keep that puppy warm!
If you have a small space heater I'd aim it at the closet and crack the door, even with Dady yeast I'd still ferment hotter than 80f.

Since you haven't done this before and like I've mentioned many times, start with about 15% dunder as it adds a serious punch to the likker, not in a bad way imo but some say 25% like I do is too strong for their likings.

Most people are so used to buh-kar-dee They can't appreciate the esters that a bold rum has to offer but me... I love the shit!!! And I'm the only one who matters when it comes to my likker but I just want you to enjoy this without having to wait for a year to settle down.

I don't mind the wait because I know what's coming :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Postby Shine0n » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I haven't touched the rum with infected dunder so I can't say for sure if it has any of the pineapple taste or not but I did have a smell of it today and there is nothing resembling pineapple now :(

It did however have a great rummy smell and I think for thanksgiving I'll knock down a bottle to 90p and see how it's progressing flavor wise.

I can smell a difference between my normal rum and this one with infected dunder and now on to the aging until March or so, I'll take samples from time to time to see the goodness get better.
Shine0n
Distiller

Previous

Return to Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients