Superstart Distiller's yeast question

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

guillermo
Novice

Superstart Distiller's yeast question

Post by guillermo »

What is the ideal temperature range for a wash using Superstart Distiller's yeast? I want the ferment to be as neutral as possible.
Thanks.
rubber duck
retired

Re: Superstart Distiller's yeast question

Post by rubber duck »

I go 80f for rum but that the only thing i use supper start on. I would think thats a little high for a nutral maby 70f would be good it will fement out a little slower but 70 or 65f should give less off flavors and a cleaner product.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Found this info with Google search-Super Start Distillers Yeast (DADY). Superb alcohol tolerance to 22% alcohol. One pound bag of yeast. Use 1-2 lbs of this yeast per 1000 gallons of mash. (0.5-1.0 gram per gallon).

This yeast is a distillers yeast specially selected from strains of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae. It has been carefully produced so as to have a minimal lag phase before fermentation begins and also to exibit high alcohol tolerance. Consequently, the yeast is able to produce ethanol under the most adverse conditions and has the abiliity to ferment when other yeasts have stopped.

Superstart is in the active dried form and has a shelf life of about 6 months at room temperature. For optimal fermentation the temperature should be controlled at 90 deg F. plus or minus 2 degrees.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
guillermo
Novice

Post by guillermo »

Thanks for the info. I pitched some Superstart Distiller's yeast into 12 gal of Wineo's sugar wash 3 days ago and it sure is fermenting slowly. I'll try raising the temperature to see if that speeds things up.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I have used this yeast a lot in summer temps and always with good results.Also used it in my recent steam cooked corn meal mash .Had left thermometer in barrel something I don't usually do and when checked Tuesday had almost come to a complete stop . I noticed temp was 70 f. Wrapped barrel with elect blanket and some insulation and when temp got back up to 75 -78 mash went back to fermenting.So in this case seems that's low end temp for the distillers yeast .In this case anyway. :)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
hillbilly505
Novice

Post by hillbilly505 »

just ordered some superstart from ebay. didnt know it was high temp yeast. its fixin to get cold here and I wish I hadnt got it now. Wonder how cold a temp it will work in?
hillbilly505
Novice

Post by hillbilly505 »

winery says it will work ok if mash isnt kept in the fridge. Keepin it outside whats th difference...lol
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hillbilly505 wrote:winery says it will work ok if mash isnt kept in the fridge. Keepin it outside whats th difference...lol
I think Tater pretty much answered your question... The lower the temperature drops from the yeasts optimal temperature the slower the ferment will go and at some point the colony will go dormant...
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

rad14701 wrote:
hillbilly505 wrote:winery says it will work ok if mash isnt kept in the fridge. Keepin it outside whats th difference...lol
I think Tater pretty much answered your question... The lower the temperature drops from the yeasts optimal temperature the slower the ferment will go and at some point the colony will go dormant...
It is interesting that someone bumped this thread. I have used this yeast exclusively since I started. It will slow considerably when temp is too low. It definitely likes warmer temps and is quite hardy for higher ABV washes. Having gotten over the greed issue, most of my washes are 10% Max.

I recall RD and a few other AG guys saying that they liked using bakers yeast in grain washes for the different flavor it created.

With my UJSSM I usually go 5-6 batches using existing yeast bed before starting a new wash. I think with fall coming and cooler weather on its way I will go away from my trusted Super Start and use bakers in my next UJSSM start.

MR
Alabama_High_Test_89
Novice

Post by Alabama_High_Test_89 »

mash rookie wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
It is interesting that someone bumped this thread. I have used this yeast exclusively since I started. It will slow considerably when temp is too low. It definitely likes warmer temps and is quite hardy for higher ABV washes. Having gotten over the greed issue, most of my washes are 10% Max.

I recall RD and a few other AG guys saying that they liked using bakers yeast in grain washes for the different flavor it created.

With my UJSSM I usually go 5-6 batches using existing yeast bed before starting a new wash. I think with fall coming and cooler weather on its way I will go away from my trusted Super Start and use bakers in my next UJSSM start.

MR

When you make your UJSSM using Super Start, how much yeast do you use per gallon? Do you make a starter for it or just pitch it? Do you use any nutrient? I apologize if any of these are dumb questions or have been answered some where else. I appreciate any advice you can give me.
KY1792
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by KY1792 »

When I make UJ sour mash I use one level tablespoon of DADY proofed for about 15 minutes in 2 cups of warm water then add to my 5 gallon buckets, which are usually between 80-90F. I have never gone past 6 generations without restarting but only have to pitch the first lovin' spoonful.

There is quite a bit of comprehensive yeast pitching information on this site but have always stuck with what works for me, I ferment between 70-85F (house temps) and never had a problem finishing in 5-10 days. Plus I can never use up the entire one pound I buy every spring by years end. I think it costs around $7.

By comparison I only use a single 7 gram sachet of Mutton's ale yeast when making an 8 gallon batch of NChooches bourbon which is only 1/2 of a tablespoon (mass vs volume fudge factor) and never got stuck either.

I use DADY on my UJ, Birdwatchers, and Rad's all bran but ale yeast for my all grains. I refrigerate all my yeast but let it come up to room temperature for several hours before proofing, then again I may not need to pitch at all as my house is probably a free range for "wild" yeast that has been set free over the years.

You don't need nutrients for UJ sour mash but I add a teaspoon of DAP and a small sprinkle of epson salts just because I have it for my sugar washes and is a cheap kick starter.

edit: need to add that I only make my mash/wash between 10% -12% and all grains around the 6%.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

When you make your UJSSM using Super Start, how much yeast do you use per gallon? Do you make a starter for it or just pitch it? Do you use any nutrient? I apologize if any of these are dumb questions or have been answered some where else. I appreciate any advice you can give me.
No problem Alabama ask away.
I do make a starter. for a ten gallon wash I wake up about a quarter cup of super start one half an hour before pitching in four cups of 95 degree water.
I pitch about half of it and add wash back into the other half. I let that grow up over night before pitching the remainder. I leave my wash loosely covered for the first 24 hours. Once it is up and running hard I put the air lock on.

There is no need for nutrients with UJ. The great thing about UJ is that you can easily ferment 5-6 batches without adding corn or yeast. It just keeps going by adding more water and sugar. By removing and adding fresh corn you can go on for many generations using the same yeast bed. It is the easiest and cheapest recipe ever.

Right now I am working with bakers yeast on a batch. It is on its fourth ferment and doing well. Of course I started it with 6th gen backset from previous runs. I just sampled my last run and it is quite tasty. I think the bakers yeast works well with UJ
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

I'm going to be starting a ujssm and a sweetfeed whisky wash. What will give me the best flavor superstart distillers yeast or Fleshmans yeast. I stopped using turbo and lowered wash abv to improve my taste. From what I'm reading it was the way to go. Now I see some thing different.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm going to be starting a ujssm and a sweetfeed whisky wash. What will give me the best flavor superstart distillers yeast or Fleshmans yeast. I stopped using turbo and lowered wash abv to improve my taste. From what I'm reading it was the way to go. Now I see some thing different.
In a sugar wash use bakers. In a mash use a beer or distillers yeast.a champagne or wine yeast for fruit.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

If I understand this right a wash is sugar and a mash can have sugar and you convert starch from say corn to more sugar using malt or amylase. Right