Lalvin Brand Yeasts Quick Reference List

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Lalvin Brand Yeasts Quick Reference List

Post by EuroStiller »

•ICV K1V-1116 (Saccharomyces cerevisiae). Selected by the Institut coopératif du vin in Montpellier among numerous killer strains isolated and studied by Pierre Barre at INRA, the K1V-1116 strain was the first competitive factor yeast to go into commercial production and has become one of the most widely used active dried wine yeasts in the world. The K1V-1116 strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 10° and 35°C (50° and 95°F), capable of surviving a number of difficult conditions, such as low nutrient musts and high levels of sulfur dioxide (SO2) or sugar. Wines fermented with the K1V-1116 have very low volatile acidity, hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and foam production. The K1V-1116 strain tends to express the freshness of white grape varieties such as Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Seyval. The natural fresh fruit aromas are retained longer than with other standard yeast strains. Fruit wines and wines made from concentrates poor in nutrient balance benefit from the capacity of K1V-1116 to adapt to difficult fermentation conditions. Restarts stuck fermentations. Highly recommended for dry whites, aged reds, and late harvest wines.

•Bourgovin RC 212 (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) The Bourgovin RC 212 strain was selected from fermentations produced in the Burgundy region by the Bureau interprofessionnel des vins de Bourgogne (BIVB). It was selected for its ability to ferment a traditional heavier-style Burgundian Pinot Noir. The RC 212 is a low-foaming moderate-speed fermenter with an optimum fermentation temperature ranging from 20° to 30°C (68° to 86°F). A very low producer of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and sulfur dioxide (SO2), the RC 212 shows good alcohol tolerance to 16%. The RC 212 is recommended for red varieties where full extraction is desired. Lighter red varieties also benefit from the improved extraction while color stability is maintained throughout fermentation and aging. Aromas of ripe berry and fruit are emphasized while respecting pepper and spicy notes. An excellent choice for both young & aged red wines.

•71B-1122 (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) Selected in Narbonne at the Institut national de recherche en agriculture (INRA) by J. Maugenet. The selection was designed to isolate yeasts that would produce a fruity yet fresh character in wine that would live long after fermentation. The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 15° and 30°C (59° and 86°F) that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. In addition to producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so the maturation time is further decreased. The 71B is used primarily by professional winemakers for young wines such as vin nouveau and has been found to be very suitable for blush and residual sugar whites. For grapes in regions naturally high in acid, the partial metabolism of malic acid helps soften the wine. The 71B also has the ability to produce significant esters and higher alcohols, making it an excellent choice for fermenting concentrates. An excellent choice for blush & residual sugar whites, nouveau & young red wines. Also a good choice for late harvest wines.

•ICV D-47 (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) This strain was isolated from grapes grown in the Côtes-du-Rhône region of France by Dr. Dominique Delteil, head of the Microbiology Department, Institut coopératif du vin (ICV), in Montpellier. ICV D-47 strain was selected from 450 isolates collected between 1986 and 1990. The ICV D-47 is a low-foaming quick fermenter that settles well, forming a compact lees at the end of fermentation. This strain tolerates fermentation temperatures ranging from 15° to 20°C (59° to 68°F) and enhances mouthfeel due to complex carbohydrates. Malolactic fermentation proceeds well in wine made with ICV D-47. Recommended for making wines from white varieties such as Chardonnay and rosé wines. An excellent choice for producing mead, however be sure to supplement with yeast nutrients, especially usable nitrogen. An excellent choice for dry whites, blush wines and residual sugar wines.

•EC-1118 (Saccharomyces bayanus) The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of the most widely used yeasts in the world. The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 — extremely low production of foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — make this strain an excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also properties of the EC-1118. The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations. An excellent choice for champagnes and late harvest wines. Also a very good choice for dry whites.

All info from the net! Always great to have on hand whent your trying to decide which yeast is best for your ferment!

EuroStiller
exon
Swill Maker

Re: Lalvin Brand Yeasts Quick Reference List

Post by exon »

EuroStiller, that's great information to have !

What would be your preference ?

In your experience, for purposes here on HD, which one have you chosen from the listings?

I can see where the Saccharomyces cerevisiase, the ICV K1V-1116 is known to be a rapid starter with constant and complete fermentation between 10C and 35C, AND it can re-start stuck fermentations!

Would you choose it, or the Saccharomyces Bayanus, the EC-1118 which is claimed to be good for 10C to 38C, which apparently demonstrates high osmotic stress and alcohol tolerance? What is your experience with the claim that it produces a relatively neutral flavor and aroma and it can ALSO be used for stuck ferments?

This is GREAT stuff!

At the moment I am only using Red Star Quick Rise and Fleischman's Bread Machine Yeast, which are available locally.

Have you noticed a significant difference in the different yeast when working with the basic sugar washes ?

Thanks!
exon
I am a pathological liar and functional illiterate.
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller »

Exon

For my sugar and sugar beet syrup washes I like EC-1118. I have found that for just sugar type washes, or any wash with a very high sugar ratio, the EC-1118 works like a charm. It produces more alcohol than baking yeast and it works well/ in harmony with distillers yeast. You can use a 1:1 ratio depending on your wash type. I basically follow Wineo's Sugar wash recipe, but I have ommitted all adjuncts. Just good spring water, sugar source, and yeast.

It also helps to start your yeast from a dry state, feed it a little at a time, let the colony multiply, then pitch it.
Again, this works for me.

When it comes to making regular wine, fruit wine, cider, etc., then I will tend to vary my choice of yeast based on what I'm fermenting. If you want specifics, name your item, as I am very particular about which yeast I will use.

Hope this has helped.

Euro Stiller

P.S. Can you get Lavalin yeast in the States in 1/2 Kg bags yet? Anybody know?
exon
Swill Maker

Post by exon »

Thanks, Eurostiller.

I will give it a try when my learning curve flattens out with the Fleischman's I'm using now.

A google search shows Lalvin yeast is available in 1lb bags from many sources in the us.
exon
I am a pathological liar and functional illiterate.
hydraulicfix
Novice

Post by hydraulicfix »

Great information. I'm a newbie and needed info on Lalvin K1-V1116..... I looked on here and went right to it. Thanks a bunch
sungazer
Bootlegger

Post by sungazer »

When I started I was using 2226 and it worked pretty good. But I switched to the 1118 mainly because that was was being talked about by people.However after reading the product guide again I think it might be the better yeast for sugar only washes and when you aim for a slightly higher %

http://winequip.com.au/products/yeast-c ... hone-2226/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
IanD
Novice

Post by IanD »

I can give my impressions of a couple for cider making.

71B is good for fermenting cider if you have high acid juice. It really does eat up malic acid as advertised.

I don't like EC-1118 for cider. it seems to ferment drier than dry. I know all yeasts will ferment all the sugar in apple juice so there is never really any residual sweetness but subjectively EC-1118 seems to find even more.

This year's schedule has been:
Anything above 3.8pH is adjusted to 3.8pH with malic acid.
Above 3.5pH get 50ppm sulphite and wait for a wild yeast fermentation.
3.2pH-3.5pH gets 50ppm sulphite followed by 71B. Both the above are for drinking not distilling.
Anything below 3.2pH gets nothing added, wild fermentation and goes in the still.
sungazer
Bootlegger

Post by sungazer »

I just got a reply from the supplier. "This is available in 100g packs for $22 or 500g packs for $46" At the dosage rate I use which is about 20g / 20L its not to expensive $1.84 per wash at some of the higher rates I have seen mentioned this gets really expensive.