does yeast multiply ?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

adanac58
Bootlegger

does yeast multiply ?

Post by adanac58 »

i have been brewin some whisky washes lately , the one carboy has had 3 different batches fermented on the lees ( i just pitch the yeat only the first time then save the lees for 3 or 4 more batches ) and i notice that the carboy that has had a couple brews on the lees ferments WAY faster than the carboy that only had one batch on the lees or just had the yeast pitched , the yeast cake when i fist pitched the yeast was only a couple MM's thick now its well over a centimetre or more thick . anyways my question . does yeast multiply or is this something else ? it seems that turbo yeast is not needed because once you create enough lees there is alot of nutrients like in turbo yeast im guessing ?? and im only using fleshmens breaad yeast . cant imagine how active and fast fermenting the yeast would be if the cake was this big and it was lavalin champagne yeast or something , most of my wines use that yeast and i gotta add sugar very slowly when its active or it will be like a baking soda and vinager bomb . anyways enough babblin for me lol.
brewhaus standard 5 gallon stainless steel pot still.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Re: does yeast multiply ?

Post by junkyard dawg »

short answer, yes.

It multiplies rapidly when it has oxygen available. This is why you want to aerate at the beginning of your ferments. Once the oxygen runs out, the yeast start producing alcohol and co2. Check out some of the beer brewing boards for lots of info on yeast farming...
this is the internet
adanac58
Bootlegger

Post by adanac58 »

thanks :) yes in my wine kits i have brewed it has always said to give your must oxygen by stirring it rapidly for a couple minuites , i usually do this with the whisky wort , at least stir it every 2 days for a good 10 minuites. but does the yeast produce alcohol as well as multiply or does it have to do one or the other ?
brewhaus standard 5 gallon stainless steel pot still.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

as I understand it, it is one or the other.

I don't think you should stir to aerate after the first time. you just want to aerate it thoroughly and then let it do its thing. Pushing down a cap to prevent mold is one thing, but you don't want to work in oxygen after its going strong.
this is the internet
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

within the yeast cake (lee's) will also be a lot of dead yeast that also provide some nutrient to the wash.
some take a few cups of yeast cake and boil it, this breaks the yeast down for nutrients, then cool and add back to the yeast cake.
the number of yeast in the lee's is normally quite high so thats why the ferment can really take off.

many beer brewers prepare a batch of wort and tip it into the a yeast cake from the last brew (i also do this for my all grain beer) these beer cakes often contain hop material and maybe hot and cold break material depending on how you brew. Many say there is no major changes in the beer, i dont seem to notice BAD tastes.

IMO i dont often reuse yeast cakes from sugar washes, bakers yeast can get bit stressed if pushed hard and the remaining yeast my be only the most hardy ones that survive.
i prefer to make a fresh starter of bakers yeast and pitch that onto sugar wash. this i feel gives me a degree of control over the yeasts ability to convert and is not targeting those hardy yeast who may or may not be the best.

there is nothing "wrong" with re-using but you have to remember that over a number of generations of wash there is going to be changes to the yeast and possibly wild yeast entering. I also think there is a higher chance of infection that need to be managed.

i just stir when mixing everything up, then don't touch. this is mostly form making beer where you don't want to risk any infections :)
but i have also never needed to stir a still wash
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

junkyard dawg wrote:short answer, yes.

It multiplies rapidly when it has oxygen available. This is why you want to aerate at the beginning of your ferments. Once the oxygen runs out, the yeast start producing alcohol and co2. Check out some of the beer brewing boards for lots of info on yeast farming...
Thanks for this reply
Learnt something new today.

Cheers
TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

There's a big difference between brewing for stillin and brewing for beer or wine. For stillin you get the yeast multiplied up to the max at the beginning so they can eat up all the sugar fast. When the sugar is gone then the alc is sorted out in the still. Not too fast...turbos are a power boost with plenty of compromises.

Beer and wine brewers have to sort it all out in the brewing without the benefits of a still, and this is achieved with extra careful brewing.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Adding my 2 cents worth.

In the way it was explained to me by my dad.

You put the yeast in and then you give it a good stir slosh it around real good to make frothy bubbles.
This makes the "buggers" (his pet name for yeast) happy and they'll go to mixing up and reproducing.
Then one they settle down they will go to work eating.
Well like everything yeast eats its got to go.
So then they start to pissing alcohol and farting. (CO2)
Once they eaten all the goodies they fall asleep.
So you can skim off some of the fat and happys and save em for the next batch.

Sounds like a regular ole orgy in my fermenter now that I think about it.
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

That explains it very well.
got to love a good orgy in a bucket... :D
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

still crazy your dad is a genius! If you can't understand that there is something wrong. Bucket orgy! :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.