Experiment with EC-1118

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Experiment with EC-1118

Post by dstaines »

I pitched EC-1118 onto some grain flavored sugar head after the bakers yeast I pitched first finished up about where I expected it to. It was kind of an experiment to see if I couple boost the EtOH a couple more points with the fairly neutral champagne yeast while still getting the estery flavors of the Fleischman's. It definitely did something, as I saw a second krausen start to form within a day, and it slowly fermented to absolute dryness over the next week or so. We'll see how the ester profile comes out in the drink eventually, but so far I'd call that a qualified success.

The other effect that I saw was much clearer beer than I am used to running, and a more compact yeast cake. When I make whiskey I usually use an all grain mash with a pretty heavy rye component, and Fleischman's yeast. They typically never get close to "clear" and I have accidentally scorched a wash when I goofed up my heat management. This was my first grain flavored sugar head, and still had several pounds of rye in the 6 gallon wash.

Do you guys think that adding EC-1118 after primary fermentation as a standard practice would help my all grain washes to clear better? It seems that whittling down the residual gravity, combined with the high flocculation of this yeast would help things to settle better. Anyone ever tried using EC1118 or other champagne yeast for that? Did you like the results?
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I was part way through fermenting some tequila @ 21 degrees centigrade ( 70 degrees F )

using the attached method with sugar, agave syrup , 10g EC-1118 , 2 tablespoons Tomato paste ( 6 kg sugar in 30 litres water )

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... lit=rogers

after 4 weeks all activity seemed to cease (SG 1.080 to start and only 1.050 to date )

put the heatbelt on the fermenter as it was cool here and the temperature went up to 24/25 degrees C

added additional 2 tablespoons tomato paste and one teaspoon of wine nutrient ( could not get DAP )

after 1 more week we are now at 1.040

I knew it was going to be slow , not worried about the time , just as long as it finishes
The Friendly Spirit
ed71
Novice

Post by ed71 »

Well I just joined this forum as a begining distiller, and one of my
questions was exactly about this specific yeast. I had read about some of
the other yeasts out there for making washes. But since Ive been making
wine for several years, Ive always used EC 1118 for making my country wines
(wines not made from wine grapes)

Was wondering if I could keep using it for mashes and by reading all of the
threads here, I see its quite commonly used. I only use it since I prefer
my wine stronger or dry. It usually never fails me and I get the same
results. Most of time. As a home wine maker and other fruits (with alot of sugar added) it has been my staple of yeast for wines. Thank god its also usable for mash in distilling.

Thanks for bringing this post up.
Secale
Novice

Post by Secale »

I just bought two packs of this yeast a few weeks ago and will use it to make alcohol for Vodka.

I read it ferments pretty clean as well and is widely recommended elsewhere online as well.

BTW: I'm very new here as well.
If it's on YouTube. It has to be real. LOLZ

http://homedistiller.org/intro
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Secale,

The champagne yeast is very good with fruit ferments. But I doubt you'll be using fruit as the base for your vodka. The EC1118 likes temps a little cooler than traditional ale or bakers yeast. And it ferments slower, although it will finish dry with time.

For your first ferment, however, I recommend following one of the Tried & True recipes, including the recommended yeast protocol. For a vodka (assuming you're a novice at this) I recommend Rad's all bran recipe as it is clean and very punctual to complete, especially if you adhere to the recipe.

And.....the recipe uses simple baker's yeast like you get at the grocery store. (save the champagne yeast for when you have a bit more experience).

Good luck, and read, read, read!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Secale
Novice

Post by Secale »

I'll probably just do a pure dextrose sugar wash, with nutrients,etc. and then distill 2-3 times with a final dilution to 40%.

I do have lots to read that's for sure. :angel:
If it's on YouTube. It has to be real. LOLZ

http://homedistiller.org/intro
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Secale wrote:I'll probably just do a pure dextrose sugar wash, with nutrients,etc. and then distill 2-3 times with a final dilution to 40%.

I do have lots to read that's for sure. :angel:
Fermented dextrose will give you a "ferment bite". It's not the best solution for a neutral.

Also, dextrose has been known to stall out, especially if the ferment is "low and slow".

But you'll do what you want to do.

I just forewarn you before you come back complaining about the taste. You can't blame ignorance.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

ec1118 is what most kit wine's come with standard. This is because it's fairly neutral and robust - ie; less stuck ferments for the wine kit manufacturers. When you get into the craft of winemaking a little deeper you will like to use other yeasties which provide different flavor profiles. I just did a batch of malted barley, apples, apple cider, and honey all together in two 20g brute cans. I used K1V1116 yeast in one and D47 yeast in the other. Both of those are recommended for ciders and meads. The D47 tends to appreciate some nutrient (SNA schedule) to prevent H2S (hydrogen sulfide - rotten egg smell). I will strip each of these ferments and combine low wines for spirit run but appreciate the added complexity by fermenting with different yeasts and blending the product.

I am looking into some different yeasts for my whiskey ferments to do this too where I end up fermenting and running different runs of the same recipe. ie; Us05 has been my go-to for corn and barley mashes so I'll try some diverse ale and lager yeasts - my basement is cold :)...

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I have had good luck with EC-1118, but have had a couple of failures. I've found it needs yeast nutrients to work with corn or sugar. I use a tablespoon a Citric Acid, a Teaspoon of DSP and Gypsum, and 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salts for a 5 gallon batch with 8 lbs of sugar.

I used 12 pounds of cracked corn converted with enzymes and the same yeast nutrients. The corn ripped through and was finished in 3 days. Set up the right conditions and it is a very fast, clean yeast. Use a started and there is no lag.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Re:

Post by Sunshineer »

possum wrote:Exactly, but not with grapes, berry fruit.
The red wineberrys and black raspberrys grow around the cemetaries and roadsides in Southern PA. About the last week of june untill mid july the fruit should be ready. I just hope I can get the time to pick them with my summer classes (away from my usual residence by 200miles). If I can get a good pickin' on I will probably freeze 'em untill I can get the yeasties in effect...it will be a little cooler then in september anyway and I should have more time.

When I fed my fruit wines in multiple stages using REDSTAR CHMPAGNE last year the end result was good. My sister liked it very much, but the supply is gone now.
Watch out for the bears their not going to be happy with you taking the berries
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I make slivovitz with it every year. Just started a batch yesterday. A good yeast if making fruit brandies
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Just addedd 1118 to a secondary fermentation of blueberries and corn sugar it will finish at about 17%abv.