what kind of yeast to use

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Forum Mods

what kind of yeast to use

Postby thoordog » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:35 am

I stumbled upon this thread and thought this would be a good place to ask MY yeast question :oops: . I’m a bit confused about what kind of yeast to use :econfused: . When we are talking yeast are we talking the type of yeast used for baking :?: , or is it yeast especially for distilling. In other words, when the time comes for me to start my fermenting can I just go to the grocery store and pick up a couple of packets? Thanks in advance for any clarification that is posted.
thoordog
Novice

Re: what kind of yeast to use

Postby Dnderhead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:12 am

a variety of yeast is used ,many use bread/bakers yeast for general use.then if doing brandy use wine yeast ,AG use beer yeast.
there can be a difference in bakers yeast so dont try one and say its not good.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:29 am

It's also a good idea to have another type or brand of yeast on hand. Just in case somethin happens with a ferment. I keep Red Star bakers yeast on hand. It's what I mainly use. And I keep EC-1118 on hand for emergencys and specialized ferments. It's a good strong all around yeast. That is good to have around for stuck ferments or what ever else you mite have. You should always have extra around. You never know when you mite need it. Usually you need it when the stores are closed.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Postby rad14701 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am

If you decide on bakers yeast for your primary yeast, as most here use, you are better of buying in bulk if you are serious about this hobby... I get 2 - 1 pound vacuum sealed bricks of Fleischmann's for ~$5.00 at Sam's Club... Sure beats ~$1.79 for a 3 pack...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:54 am

Costco has Red Star 2 one pound bricks for $4. And I have found Wal-Mart has the best price on the 4oz jars. Average half the price of all the other grocery stores in my area.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Postby Coon-ass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Prairiepiss wrote:It's also a good idea to have another type or brand of yeast on hand. Just in case somethin happens with a ferment. I keep Red Star bakers yeast on hand. It's what I mainly use. And I keep EC-1118 on hand for emergencys and specialized ferments. It's a good strong all around yeast. That is good to have around for stuck ferments or what ever else you mite have. You should always have extra around. You never know when you mite need it. Usually you need it when the stores are closed.

I have always used EC-118 except for this time because my supplier was out. Does anyone have experience with EC-116?
That is what I used or my 55 gal. I read the yeast descriptions in the sticky but I am looking for personal experiences.
(not trying to hijack thread but it is relative to the topic)
CA
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Coon-ass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby moonshine guy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 am

I have always use turbo yeast, if I go with red star do I need to add anything with it? I know the turbo's have additives in it and red star is just yeast with no additives in it! So what would one add to it say for 25L simple sugar wash, how much red star and what ever else that should be added? Thanks for your replies!
moonshine guy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Bayou-Ruler » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 am

rad14701 wrote:If you decide on bakers yeast for your primary yeast, as most here use, you are better of buying in bulk if you are serious about this hobby... I get 2 - 1 pound vacuum sealed bricks of Fleischmann's for ~$5.00 at Sam's Club... Sure beats ~$1.79 for a 3 pack...

That's a good recommendation. I too use Fleischmann's instant dry yeast and buy in bulk. I have had great success with it in 10%ABV Sugar washes. I get complete ferments in 7 days constantly. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
www.BayouEthanol.com
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Mud Mechanik » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:32 am

Bayou-Ruler wrote:
rad14701 wrote:If you decide on bakers yeast for your primary yeast, as most here use, you are better of buying in bulk if you are serious about this hobby... I get 2 - 1 pound vacuum sealed bricks of Fleischmann's for ~$5.00 at Sam's Club... Sure beats ~$1.79 for a 3 pack...

That's a good recommendation. I too use Fleischmann's instant dry yeast and buy in bulk. I have had great success with it in 10%ABV Sugar washes. I get complete ferments in 7 days constantly. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Same here :thumbup:
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby mash rookie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 am

I have mostly used C&B distillers yeast. I recently have changed to bakers yeast for my UJSSM as it gives a little more character to the flavor.
A recent rum batch did not quite finish to dry using bakers yeast. I will return to the distillers yeast on my next rum. I use distillers yeast in my sugar wash.
Like Dunder says different ferments, different yeasts. Find what works best for you.
mash rookie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:59 am

Coon-ass wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:It's also a good idea to have another type or brand of yeast on hand. Just in case somethin happens with a ferment. I keep Red Star bakers yeast on hand. It's what I mainly use. And I keep EC-1118 on hand for emergencys and specialized ferments. It's a good strong all around yeast. That is good to have around for stuck ferments or what ever else you mite have. You should always have extra around. You never know when you mite need it. Usually you need it when the stores are closed.

I have always used EC-118 except for this time because my supplier was out. Does anyone have experience with EC-116?
That is what I used or my 55 gal. I read the yeast descriptions in the sticky but I am looking for personal experiences.
(not trying to hijack thread but it is relative to the topic)
CA

I've used lavin ec-1116 I think it's for red wines, very similar to 1118.
if your gonna ride, ride the wild horse
rockchucker22
Forum Mod

Postby Dnderhead » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:05 am

EC 1118 is a "neutral" flavored yeast,,,,,,EC 1116 brings out more of a "fruity" flavor.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby rtalbigr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:18 am

Dnderhead wrote:EC 1118 is a "neutral" flavored yeast,,,,,,EC 1116 brings out more of a "fruity" flavor.

Both are good for a stalled ferment. I use 1116 for my fruit brandies.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Dnderhead » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:07 pm

ec 1118 and ec 1116 both are rated for 18% .but that does not mean you should "push" either to that high of ABV.
as the ABV goes up over a certain point. so does the "nastiness" then you have to "cut" or discard more in heads and tales.
then you are wasting ingreadeants.

Now with some ferments like rum/tequila the "nasties" (esters) are wanted but usually achieved by fermenting at a hi temperature,
and choice of yeast.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby Addracing » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Fleischmann's instant dry yeast from Sams cannt beat the price and always there when you need it.
NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE
Addracing
Novice

Postby Dan P. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 am

Addracing wrote:Fleischmann's instant dry yeast from Sams cannt beat the price and always there when you need it.

I'm using wild yeast right now. It was free!
Dan P.
Rumrunner

Postby rad14701 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 am

Dan P. wrote:
Addracing wrote:Fleischmann's instant dry yeast from Sams cannt beat the price and always there when you need it.

That's great when you live where there's good wild yeast in the air and results are repeatable... :thumbup: Not gonna get that here, at least not in the NE US, however... :econfused:
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Dan P. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 pm

rad14701 wrote:
Dan P. wrote:

That's great when you live where there's good wild yeast in the air and results are repeatable... :thumbup: Not gonna get that here, at least not in the NE US, however... :econfused:

Why ever not? Yeast is everywhere.

To be frank, I was mostly being facetious. I don't know if my results will be repeatable. I've used it a few times before. It is slow. You can probably count on losing some horsepower to other bugs in the mix.
For the record, I collect it thus;
Tree fruit (no stems or leaves!) in a small container of strong (1060+) mash. Leave it to acclimatise for 2-3 weeks, if it's good, pitch.
Bakers' yeast is surer, I use it more.
-Dan
Dan P.
Rumrunner

Return to Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients