C&B DADY Instructions

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Forum Mods

C&B DADY Instructions

Postby Steep-n-Rocky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Okay, I tried searching and could not find an answer, how do you guys use DADY and baker's yeast with AG mashes? By use I mean do you use a starter or simply add to your wash? If you add to your wash, how much do you use? I'm getting ready to try DADY for the first time and may try bakers yeast with a rye mash too.
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Re: C&B DADY Instructions

Postby just-a-sip » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:30 pm

many people use a starter or a yeast bomb but others just pitch the yeast once ready... as for how much, it will depend on the amount of wash. ie water sugar grain yada yada yada
Just-A-Sip
just-a-sip
Trainee

Postby Steep-n-Rocky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:50 pm

In my case I would be working with 10 gallon AG washes. I have used Nottingham ale, T-58, and EC-1118 and just bought some DADY and Red Star ADY.
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm

There was some good advice given to me in this thread. You mite read through it.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25434&hilit=dady
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Postby rtalbigr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:24 am

C&B DADY is my primary yeast and pretty much all I use for my AG's unless I'm trying for something special. From my experience it is an excellent yeast for grain fermenting as it was developed for that use. It is a Fermantis product. It should be re-hydrated before pitching in sterile water at 90-105F. Add yeast to water and let rest for 15-20 minutes before stirring. Let it cool so that it is within 10 degrees F of your wort temps before pitching. If you make a starter with diluted wort you still need to re-hydrate before pitching into the starter.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Steep-n-Rocky » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks guys. Rtalbigr, Does 2 tbsp bakers or DADY per 5 gallons mash sound about right? I thought I remembered reading that but cannot find it now. I am also thinking that rehydrating sounds better than pitching dry but perhaps it does not make that big a difference?

As always, I cannot say how much I appreciate and enjoy this forum!
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Postby rtalbigr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 am

Steep - re-hydrating is important. In the first milli-seconds the yeast cells cannot control what enters through the cell walls. So when you dry pitch the yeast into the wort you end up instantly killing 1/3-1/2 of the colony. Re-hydration prevents this thus insuring a much healthier yeast colony.

I generally use 4 teaspoons/5 gal of wort. 2 tablespoons is mildly over-pitching but really not enough to do any harm or result of off-flavors.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Steep-n-Rocky » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks Big R, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Postby Rib Eye » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 am

Pardon my confusion, but what is C&B DADY?

Also, Big R, can you help me understand a good way to hydrate dry yeast before I pitch? I had a stalled wash, and wasn't sure how much yeast to add to restart it. I'd like to understand better what happens when I throw yeast into a stalled wash.

Thanks
Rib Eye
-Mediocre spirits will always encounter violent opposition from great minds.
Rib Eye
Novice

Postby Stilly » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Rib Eye wrote:Pardon my confusion, but what is C&B DADY?

Also, Big R, can you help me understand a good way to hydrate dry yeast before I pitch? I had a stalled wash, and wasn't sure how much yeast to add to restart it. I'd like to understand better what happens when I throw yeast into a stalled wash.

Thanks
Rib Eye

Crosby & Baker Dry Active Distillers Yeast

cheers
stilly
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby rtalbigr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 am

Rib Eye wrote:Pardon my confusion, but what is C&B DADY?

Thanks
Rib Eye

To re-hydrate yeast you need sterile water. I just stick it in the microwave until it boils. I boil about a quart and then use the extra to sterilize all the vessels and equipment I'm using to re-hydrate (thermometer, spoon, etc.). Accepted volumes are typically 10 ml water for each gram of yeast; I use this as the minimum. Generally, let the water cool to 90-105F (although some yeasts have specific temps, check the package) and add the yeast. Let it set for about 15 minutes before stirring, by then all the yeast will have been hydrated. Stir occasionally until the temps are within 10 degrees F of the wort before pitching. I always use Go Ferm Protect when re-hydrating. It is a product containing the essential micro nutrients needed by the yeast and is designed to insure safe re-hydration and maximum survival rates of the yeast colony.

Just re-pitching yeast isn't necessarily a solution for a stalled ferment. You need to determine, if you can, what caused the ferment to stall. Most often a stalled ferment can be caused by any of several factors such as lack of oxygen, temps too high or too low, lack of adequate nutrients for the yeast, insufficient quantity of yeast, some other infection, shocking yeast due to excessive temp difference, competition from a wild yeast strain, excessively high SG, or any other factor within the wort that is killing the yeast. Stalled ferments can be rather frustrating.

Big R
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Return to Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients