White Labs Whiskey Yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Country Pete
Site Donor
Site Donor

White Labs Whiskey Yeast

Post by Country Pete »

Howdy, I have been reading, and reading and reading posts since I found this sight. This is my very first question. Has anyone had any experience with WLP050 Tennessee Whiskey Yeast from White labs? This is the write up on their site:

Suitable for American-style whiskey and bourbon. This yeast is famous for creating rich, smooth flavors. Clean and dry fermenting yeast. Will tolerate high alcohol concentrations (15%), and ester production is low.

I have used their yeast making beer many times and have always been very happy with the results. I would like to hear if it really is any better than say an ale yeast or even Red Star bakers yeast. I did try searching the site using various combinations of the name but came up with nothing, but I could have been doing something wrong ( I frequently do). Thanks in advance.
Bless the hands of the distiller for he makes the world a better place.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: White Labs Whiskey Yeast

Post by rtalbigr »

I have not used that particular yeast but would certainly like to know how it does if you try it. Is it a liquid culture, smack pak?

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

My beer brewing days with full grain tell me thet yeast and temp control are pretty important. I would just like to find a place to buy some of this yeast to try no one seems to carry it.
Big Stogie.
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Country Pete
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Country Pete »

Here is the link to the page it's on. The brewing supply in the town I live in does not normally carry this but they said it would be no issue to order it along with their normal yeast order. They sell it for 6 bucks. I am sure if you can find a brew shop near you they will order it for you as well. I'm gonna give it a go at some point and I'll let you know.
Country Pete
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Country Pete »

Whoops! Guess it would help if I actually posted the link. I believe it is a liquid yeast. I talked to the Brewing supply shop owner and was told it would last up to 3 months in the fridge.

http://www.whitelabs.com/distilling/yeast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I've been looking for a single vial of this yeast for a while. It's currently backordered on homebrewmart.com, one of the few places I've been able to find it. I have my doubts as to whether or not it will ever become available, they might be waiting to get enough orders to buy a set of vials from White Labs. You can buy direct from White Labs, but you get two slants for $114. I've been building up my personal inventory of yeast handling equipment (innoculating loop, agar, pressure cooker as a makeshift autoclave, etc.) to practice lab-style yeast handling. Maybe once I'm feeling confident I'll buy the slants and finally get to try it. Or maybe that $8 vial will just ship someday. I know that sounds like great lengths, but I just consider yeast handling a separate hobby, and call it a day.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Actually I just checked in on the order and they've got it in stock... looks like I won't be spending an arm and a leg for single colonies of yeast, after all. I'm still planning on making slant plates from these samples so I don't ever have to order this yeast again. I plan on trying this yeast on a few different grain mashes (100% sour rye mash, corn & distillers malt, maybe a more traditional 3- or 4-grain bourbon ratio), I'll write back whenever I have results.

Anyway take a look at homebrewmart.com if you want to buy a vial for yourself.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

wow, they even list it on their site, thanks. I'll try my guy and see if he'll order it.
captnKB
Novice

Post by captnKB »

I know this is an old thread but i was wondering if anyone can speak to their experience using this yeast??
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone tried this? If so how did it turn out?
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

It's a good yeast to use. But there are many strains which are just as effective and much more economical. When making a whiskey ferment, the yeast selection is not as critical as you might think.

The specific gravity (OG) probably has a lot more to do with it than choosing a $7 snap-pack of liquid yeast. OK, if you're going to propagate and produce run after run, then the investment of a select yeast may be justified.

But regardless, you should not be pushing the yeast in a ferment higher than 10%ABV potential. It simply stresses the yeast and it (the yeast) will produce off flavors. It is suggested OG's around 1.070-1.075 are the upper limit for a good healthy whiskey ferment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

When I ferment I tend to go in cycles, so the $7 for the yeast isn't a big deal, I'll do a starter and ferment hundreds of pounds of grain off that vial. Right now I'm using WLP070, all I can say so far is that it smells right.