Rum Yeast

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum Yeast

Post by King Of Hearts »

King Of Hearts wrote:My hook Rum is done after 4 days it's at 1.000 Now that's what I call getting her done. Updated specs below.

10.5 gals of wash 1.083 SG - 1.000 FG 11% abv

1 gal Blackstrap Molasses = 11lb
10 lbs white sugar
Brewhaus Distillers Yeast Nutrients 60g.
Lalvin ICV-K1 (V1116) yeast 10g
1 tspn Acid Blend
85-90 degree ferment temp
My "Hook Rum" smells like brandy. go figure, it's a wine/brandy yeast. It smelled like wine when fermenting. Most of the rum character is in the tails, but it has a sharp taste, I just might rerun and try to get some of those good flavors from the tails without the bite, per Arroyo. It fermented 100% so next time it's all Blackstrap.

http://distillers.tastylime.net/library ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
RipleyCountyYankee
Novice

Post by RipleyCountyYankee »

Did you save your dunder for your next ferment ? I think that dunder makes a big difference.... My first run of Hook rum had no dunder and I run it as a spirit run to experiment with cuts. I kept 3 jars (5, 6, and 7) to sample and threw the rest into a carboy for a later spirit run. The 3 jars I kept were at 65% abv. It was so smooth you could drink it straight, though it did not have as much flavor when compared to the later runs using dunder in the ferments. Eventually I collected 3 stripping runs and did a spirit run on 5/2/12. That first spirit run *just* finished aging/flavoring and it turned out very good. Using the Red Star bakers yeast my ferments smell like sweet beer. In fact, the whole room smells like someone dumped beer all over the floor.

RCY..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When faced with the most incriminating evidence......deny, deny, deny.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

RipleyCountyYankee wrote:Did you save your dunder for your next ferment ? I think that dunder makes a big difference.... My first run of Hook rum had no dunder and I run it as a spirit run to experiment with cuts. I kept 3 jars (5, 6, and 7) to sample and threw the rest into a carboy for a later spirit run. The 3 jars I kept were at 65% abv. It was so smooth you could drink it straight, though it did not have as much flavor when compared to the later runs using dunder in the ferments. Eventually I collected 3 stripping runs and did a spirit run on 5/2/12. That first spirit run *just* finished aging/flavoring and it turned out very good. Using the Red Star bakers yeast my ferments smell like sweet beer. In fact, the whole room smells like someone dumped beer all over the floor.

RCY..
No I didn't save it, I don't think this yeast is the right one. How many and what size samples did you collect? My hearts smell and taste like a brandy and are 65%, below that to about 45% bite, and the lower % to 30 have the buttery rumminess which I might add to my hearts, or just rerun the whole thing again and try to make better cuts.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

King Of Hearts wrote: No I didn't save it, I don't think this yeast is the right one. How many and what size samples did you collect? My hearts smell and taste like a brandy and are 65%, below that to about 45% bite, and the lower % to 30 have the buttery rumminess which I might add to my hearts, or just rerun the whole thing again and try to make better cuts.
I've used K1 to do rum with really good success. Adding dunder makes a big difference, especially aged dunder. I will be using K1 whenever I make more rum.

I finally got out a bottle of some I made last year. I aged it on oak for 14 weeks. When I first distilled it I was really disappointed, it just wasn't right. But after aging on oak and then just sitting for a while in glass it has made a wonderful transition. The rum/molasses flavors are very nice and it's a really smooth drink. It is really much better than some rum I made a couple of years ago that didn't have the aged dunder in it.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

rtalbigr wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote: No I didn't save it, I don't think this yeast is the right one. How many and what size samples did you collect? My hearts smell and taste like a brandy and are 65%, below that to about 45% bite, and the lower % to 30 have the buttery rumminess which I might add to my hearts, or just rerun the whole thing again and try to make better cuts.
I've used K1 to do rum with really good success. Adding dunder makes a big difference, especially aged dunder. I will be using K1 whenever I make more rum.

I finally got out a bottle of some I made last year. I aged it on oak for 14 weeks. When I first distilled it I was really disappointed, it just wasn't right. But after aging on oak and then just sitting for a while in glass it has made a wonderful transition. The rum/molasses flavors are very nice and it's a really smooth drink. It is really much better than some rum I made a couple of years ago that didn't have the aged dunder in it.

Big R
did you mix in any tails?
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

King Of Hearts wrote: did you mix in any tails?
Some, not much though. My notes show some tails at 60% abv. (I consider tails starting at around 65%)

It probably would add some flavors to go a little deeper into tails than I did and I will probably do that next time I make rum.

From my experience using aged dunder really does add significantly to the profile, but aging the distillate is what really makes the difference. The rum I just opened was in a 1 1/4 gal barrel and was pot stilled 2x. I still have some in a 5 gal barrel that was distilled 3x. I sampled it about a month ago and it wasn't there yet (barreled it in January). I also have 1 gal that I kept white so I could compare. I probably need to sample it but I just haven't gotten around to it. I want to get all three and see what the differences are.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

rtalbigr wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote: did you mix in any tails?
Some, not much though. My notes show some tails at 60% abv. (I consider tails starting at around 65%)

It probably would add some flavors to go a little deeper into tails than I did and I will probably do that next time I make rum.

From my experience using aged dunder really does add significantly to the profile, but aging the distillate is what really makes the difference. The rum I just opened was in a 1 1/4 gal barrel and was pot stilled 2x. I still have some in a 5 gal barrel that was distilled 3x. I sampled it about a month ago and it wasn't there yet (barreled it in January). I also have 1 gal that I kept white so I could compare. I probably need to sample it but I just haven't gotten around to it. I want to get all three and see what the differences are.

Big R
Thanks Big R, I didn't realize Rum was this complicated, I used a 5 plate column. My hearts are 75% to 55%.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

King Of Hearts wrote:[
Thanks Big R, I didn't realize Rum was this complicated, I used a 5 plate column. My hearts are 75% to 55%.
KOH, I am strictly a pot stiller so I only know of plated columns what I have read. I'm going to get a heavier flavor profile with a pot still because I've always got a heavier "smear" between my cuts. I would guess my hearts will already have more tails then would yours. Checking my notes I had a 5 gal spirit run with low wines at 37.7%. My heart cuts started at 79% and I ended at 60%. I pulled out 1 quart of fores/heads.

I believe you would really benefit from the addition of dunder/aged dunder. I used 15% (aged for about 6 months), so my rum is still fairly light, but I have read that some use much more. So, ya rum can get fairly complex, but it's an interesting exercise with lots of possible variations. That's what makes this hobby so interesting.

Big R
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

rtalbigr wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote:[
KOH, I am strictly a pot stiller so I only know of plated columns what I have read. I'm going to get a heavier flavor profile with a pot still because I've always got a heavier "smear" between my cuts. I would guess my hearts will already have more tails then would yours. Checking my notes I had a 5 gal spirit run with low wines at 37.7%. My heart cuts started at 79% and I ended at 60%. I pulled out 1 quart of fores/heads.

I believe you would really benefit from the addition of dunder/aged dunder. I used 15% (aged for about 6 months), so my rum is still fairly light, but I have read that some use much more. So, ya rum can get fairly complex, but it's an interesting exercise with lots of possible variations. That's what makes this hobby so interesting.

Big R
Thanks for sharing your notes. This is the first running my column. What I did notice is the cuts are sharply defined compared to the pot still. I ran it on the slow end for just that purpose, the run was complete in 4 hours going from 11% wash. I agree with Arroyo that the bottom tails have some really good flavor in them. I'm going to take small samples and mix them with some hearts and see how it tastes.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

What if I just make up a weak gravity molasses wash and let it naturally start fermenting to get that bacteria going, ferment an 8-10% wash 80% of the way and thro in the natural fermented molasses wash and let it finish up?
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

King Of Hearts wrote:What if I just make up a weak gravity molasses wash and let it naturally start fermenting to get that bacteria going, ferment an 8-10% wash 80% of the way and thro in the natural fermented molasses wash and let it finish up?
I don't know, but it sounds interesting. My washes were around 12% as I recall. I don't really know but the bacteria might compete with the yeast. I know I've had a couple AG's get infected, and while I did get alcohol from them the infected mash yielded considerably less. When I use my aged dunder I always give it a hard boil first, so all the bacteria is killed.

Big R
Fusefinder
Novice

Post by Fusefinder »

I read where some members recommend EC-1118 for RUM and others Bakers yeast, while others like V1116 (K1). They did not recommend mixing K1 with bakers yeast as K1 will kill other strains.
Are there pros and cons to mixing EC-1118 and bakers yeast?
I thought I read it (but cannot locate it now) where they may complement one another due to their attributes...bakers yeast quicker start butter tones and Ec-1118 higher alcohotolerancece. Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge of this?
Thanks
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Seems to me once you use any yeast to make rum wash.(or any other that's same ).If ya make a starter and then reuse from trub that you have left in wash .Reusing in next run and so forth You have created a yeast strain for that mixture regardless what strain was used for when starting.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Good news, after a month with this K1 yeast make its improved a great deal. Big vanilla, butter aromas now and very drinkable even on the rocks. Im going to add some more charred wood and see what happens.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

A few years ago I used a Hefewiezen yeast that I cultured from a growler I bought at a local brewery to make my brown sugar only rum. Fermented it above 70F. It was very fruity. Perfecto! Now I'm thinking about trying some YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™ in my heavier molassas rums I'm making now to see if it will give more of the fruity flavors that I like. But I'll need a good warm spot to get the banana flavors, above 72F I think.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Beerswimmer wrote:A few years ago I used a Hefewiezen yeast that I cultured from a growler I bought at a local brewery to make my brown sugar only rum. Fermented it above 70F. It was very fruity. Perfecto! Now I'm thinking about trying some YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™ in my heavier molassas rums I'm making now to see if it will give more of the fruity flavors that I like. But I'll need a good warm spot to get the banana flavors, above 72F I think.
I asked Brew and Grow about ordering yeast from Still Spirits and they said they could. Still Spirits sells Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, and that crap turbo stuff. http://stillspirits.com/nz/distillers-y ... 6s6bmpdf71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

King Of Hearts wrote:
Beerswimmer wrote:A few years ago I used a Hefewiezen yeast that I cultured from a growler I bought at a local brewery to make my brown sugar only rum. Fermented it above 70F. It was very fruity. Perfecto! Now I'm thinking about trying some YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™ in my heavier molassas rums I'm making now to see if it will give more of the fruity flavors that I like. But I'll need a good warm spot to get the banana flavors, above 72F I think.
I asked Brew and Grow about ordering yeast from Still Spirits and they said they could. Still Spirits sells Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, and that crap turbo stuff. http://stillspirits.com/nz/distillers-y ... 6s6bmpdf71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
If it makes the rum taste like Juicy Fruit bubblegum like my old ones, I'm in!!!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

My hook Rum that I was complaining about where I used the K1 yeast is coming around. Please forgive my inexperience. This batch could be pretty good, better than I had at a Micro Distillery. But next time I'm going 100% molasses.