Fleischmanns slower ?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Fleischmanns slower ?

Post by Smokey hollow »

I ran out of red star so I grabbed a packet of fleischmanns for my reg run of corn meal and sugar . I heat everything up to get it jump started and usually i get it bubbling an hr or so later but its not bubbling yet and been 6-7 hrs . Could i have got it to hot , or is it just a little slower ? Thanks guys , smokey
One of the hardest things to do is to forgive , but you must not forget that you HAVE TO forgive in order to be forgiven..
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Fleischmanns slower ?

Post by dieselduo »

you probably got it too hot if it hasn't started yet. Try re-pitching now
Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Post by Smokey hollow »

I can look it up but fig ya might help me out real quick. Re-pitching ??
One of the hardest things to do is to forgive , but you must not forget that you HAVE TO forgive in order to be forgiven..
Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Post by Smokey hollow »

I found it buddy , thanks alot I thought of doing that but fig I would ask first . I might wait till tomorrow and throw some redstar in it . Thanks again
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I never have washes take more than 15 minutes to start working, whether dry pitching or mixing up a starter... I am still using Fleischmanns yeast that has been kept in the freezer in a mason jar for over two years...
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

hey Rad, would this yeast be safe to keep in the freezer?? This stuff only has a two week shelf life, if i could keep in the freezer would nice...
Attachments
FL-2117.JPG
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rumBum2 wrote:hey Rad, would this yeast be safe to keep in the freezer?? This stuff only has a two week shelf life, if i could keep in the freezer would nice...
Only dry active yeast will survive freezing... Yeast cakes will survive refrigeration but not freezing because the wet cells will rupture when frozen...

Edited to add:
Baker's Select Yeast (2117) is a special strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, chosen and cultivated for uniformity, rapid activity and enhanced stability in all yeast leavened bakery applications. Baker's Select Yeast (2117) is designed for all yeast raised products such as bread, buns, rolls, croissants, Danish, bread sticks, pretzels, and pizza.
It's a rapid rise dry active... That two week window is for the rapid rise feature... The yeast won't die after two weeks, just progressively lose the rapid rise ability... Yet it will still function like dry active yeast...
Last edited by rad14701 on Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

Had a feeling.. this stuff is cheap. thanks for quick reply. cheers
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I buy Fleischmann ADY by the brick and keep it in the fridge. Over the course of a little more than a year I finally used it up. Never had a single problem with it. I have heard of some guys having it survive even after accidentally pitching at mash Temps.

This is first gen or did you add backset? Could also be pH.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

How hot did you get it before pitching the yeast? Fleishmanns will take temps over 100 f. I usually pitch it at 95 and it always takes right off. As Rad stated it should be up and bubbling in 15 minutes. If it is 85 degrees or above I would pitch some more now. It really
is great stuff.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I pitch Fleischmanns anywhere between 95F and 115F... When mixing a starter or proofing they recommend 115F...
Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Post by Smokey hollow »

Well i got it hotter than i wanted to . Hotter than i ever have before do to helping my kids out while i was warming up the water im not sure about the temp but i do know it was barely steaming when i poured it in the bucket . I just got it to hot .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Hope you had more yeast to pitch, if you didn't.
Mother nature has pitched some wild yeast for you by now :lol:
Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Post by Smokey hollow »

shadylane wrote:Hope you had more yeast to pitch, if you didn't.
Mother nature has pitched some wild yeast for you by now :lol:
So i cant add no red star today ? Or u saying its going to be a bad batch buddy ?
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Just repitch already. Throw the Red Star in there and see what happens. Only some of this is rocket science.

tp
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

T-Pee wrote:Just repitch already. Throw the Red Star in there and see what happens. Only some of this is rocket science.

tp
+1

Make up a good starter and pitch. Making a go starter will help get it going faster and help overcome any infection or wild strains. Although nothing wrong with some wild strains...but it's a crap shoot if ya get a good one or not.
Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Post by Smokey hollow »

T-Pee wrote:Just repitch already. Throw the Red Star in there and see what happens. Only some of this is rocket science.

tp
Im going to buddy i was just keeping up with this thread and asking stuff until i get back home to repitch it. Red star is about 30 min away from me and I couldn't get it till a little bit ago but ya im on it lol thanks
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The yeast you "cooked" will make so good nutrients for the red star :thumbup:
Sams Club sells 2 pounds of bakers yeast for $6
Smokey hollow
Swill Maker

Post by Smokey hollow »

shadylane wrote:The yeast you "cooked" will make so good nutrients for the red star :thumbup:
Sams Club sells 2 pounds of bakers yeast for $6
Good deal ,thanks buddy -ill check it out
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

I know this is an old thread but how many packets of bread yeast do y'all pitch in a 10 gallon mash
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I buy 2 lbs at the time so I can't say certain measurements in grams but 2 teaspoons leveled and properly rehydraded should do the trick.

Just make sure to have an og not off the charts and keep the temp above 80f and it should do you fine.

Shine0n
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

I'm sure that I over pitch, but I do 3 Gm / Gal. I'd guess that 2 Gm / Gal would be just fine.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Fish_06 wrote:I know this is an old thread but how many packets of bread yeast do y'all pitch in a 10 gallon mash
Two packets.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!