safale us-05

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

safale us-05

Post by Tater »

Gonna try a booner type ferment using white corn meal when weather breaks.Back room where Im gonna ferment hangs between 60-70 degree f this time year.Been looking into using a ale yeast due to temps .Bought some safale us-05 from grapestompers .Can anyone tell me anything about it?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
columbia36
Novice

Re: safale us-05

Post by columbia36 »

That's my favorite yeast for making ales, and 65F is the perfect temperature. Should work fine for you. Expect at least a week, maybe two to ferment out at that temp.
I'm using a temperature controlled ferment chamber, so for spirits I use bakers yeast at 80 or 85 year round. Just can't do an ale or lager at the same time.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

It's the same strain as white labs 001 or wyeast 1056, if you've ever used them. 65-68 degrees or so is about perfect for a nice clean flavor, low esters. Jimbo recommends it for his bourbons and I've used it extensively for beer making. Can't go wrong with it!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Watching the post.
It's winter, so maintaining the fermenter at 60 to 70F should be easy.
Baker's yeast has kept me in alcohol for awhile.
Figure it's time to try something different.
Guess I'll have to farm enough US-05 to start the fermenter.
I'm too damn cheap to buy more than a packet.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Shady,
I bought a 12 packet lot on fleabay for $30 shipped. $2.50 per packet is pretty dang cheap. I use it for beer brewing and then wash and reuse for bourbons.

Easy. Cheap. Good.

SR
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

tks ill let ya know how it goes
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have only used the safale us-05 a couple of times now. Jimbo turned me on to it, hopefully he will chime in here. For me it seems to work slowly but it produces a very clean tasting ferment which seems to carry over into the distillate when ran.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

65-70 is perfect for US-05. It ferments clean allowing the flavors of your recipe to take the stage. Yes it's slower than bakers at 80. But you'll be good to run in 1-2 weeks depending on which side of 65-70 you're at. Cuts are wider and easier with a clean yeast like this too.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Any of you make a starter with this yeast or sprinkle on as pack directions
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Use 1 pack per 5 gal. Hydrate in a 1/4 cup warm water for 5 min. Or just sprinkle if you don't want to bother. I've done both ways with no problem.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

For distilling I prefer 04. As the spirit ages it'll get a much more estery profile.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Good then I take it that however introduced the yeast will perform the same taste wise. Tks for the replys
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

got ten gallons of rice converted with enzymes. im using the us05 for the first time. i have noticed it is slower than bakers as well. i ened up going on vaction and wont be back for another week to see how it went. im praying it has finished and not coming home to an infection . ill post back up when i do some stripping runs. got another 10 gallons of rice fermented with bakers . so i will have a good side by side
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Waiting on mash to cool to pitching temps now .Am eager to see how it goes. :D
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Good luck Tater, I think youre gonna like it. Very clean and predictable results.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I read a number of positive comments by Jimbo and others before Taters thread, so I ordered this about 2 wks ago. Still waiting. Erggg. Am looking forward to testing it. Hopefully will have something positive to report as well.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Added yeast Sunday afternoon .Was slow taking off but rocking and rolling now.Not use to a yeast thats this happy at these temps.temps. Tks for all the reply's.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Anxious to see how this yeast plays out. Got my order in today. Will ferment between 60-70. Also Booners but not quite ready yet. I don't have the balls to go 50# corn. Glad your goin' first.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

I just used it in my DME+Grains mash. Fermented from 1066 to 1000 in 8 days. Temp was 22C
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

My recommendation with commercial ale yeasts is to aim for about 7-8% and make a yeast starter first so that it can grow in population, if you want a faster fermentation. In Scotland it takes them only a few days to ferment out, that is the way they do it.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

This yeast did well in my opinion Will Use it again .Finished yesterday.Mash has good taste . Gonna try some rye with it next
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Tater wrote:This yeast did well in my opinion Will Use it again .Finished yesterday.Mash has good taste . Gonna try some rye with it next
:thumbup: good to hear.
TurtleLA
Novice

Post by TurtleLA »

Guys I used US-05 for the first time two days ago. It's bubbling decent, but when I opened up the top just to take a peak I noticed zero cap on it. Yeast I have used has a decent cap after a day or two. Any incite? Thanks
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

US-05 always makes a foamy cap. Check again in a day or 2
TurtleLA
Novice

Post by TurtleLA »

Will do Jimbo, thanks
TurtleLA
Novice

Post by TurtleLA »

Finally got a nice cap when I got home from work!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Tater wrote:This yeast did well in my opinion Will Use it again .Finished yesterday.Mash has good taste . Gonna try some rye with it next
Did try the rye with yeast from the corn mash. never took off very well and this morning was covered with infection. Dumped will try again at another time with fresh yeast.
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

MDH wrote:For distilling I prefer 04. As the spirit ages it'll get a much more estery profile.
I was thinking the same thing. I used 04 for maltier beers whereas 05 leaves a cleaner crisper taste. Everyone seems to use Bakers or 05 yeast for whiskeys so think I may have to switch and try the 05 or 04 with a starter
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

Mashed a 9gal batch 2 weeks ago, split them up into to 10 gal fermenters and pitched a single Saf 05 into each after rehydrating. Took 2 weeks between 65-70 to ferment out but only down to 1.010.

I fermented on the grain (12lb Flaked Maize, 4 Flaked Rye, 4 Pale malt) and have never figured out how to take OG as there are too many solids suspended in the mash. Brewer's friend calculated it at 1.064. After fermentation, I strained and transferred into glass carboys and cold crashed 24hrs trying to save the yeast for the next round.

Trub and yeast didn't separate like a beer does so left some sludge on the bottom of each after transferring to the still in hopes of using again.
Question 1 - Anyone else do this with decent results?

Question 2 - To those of you that us 05 - what FG do you usually end up at? When I use 05 for beer it always ends around 1.010 mark and wonder anyone gets it lower before it dies off?
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

I use us-05 pretty exclusively for my AG mashes and have always had good luck with it. I have a storage room in the basement that stays a consistent 65-68 degrees and works well with the 05. I think it is pretty common to do back to back ferments. I leave any sludge that is on the bottom and dump a new batch in, usually takes off very quick. I routinely get down to 1.00 with it, and I believe the worst I've gotten is 1.003ish. I