How Do I Keep My Yeast Going For Later Batches?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

KYMountainMan
Novice

How Do I Keep My Yeast Going For Later Batches?

Post by KYMountainMan »

I found an Ale Yeast that I really like, and produces all of the qualities I like in my beer.

The only kicker is that it's $8 plus shipping every time I order a vial of it. It ends up being around $14 a vial if that's all I order! :esurprised:

How can I buy 1 vial, keep it going, and 'dip' into the yeast every time I want to ferment a batch of brew?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: How Do I Keep My Yeast Going For Later Batches?

Post by NZChris »

Can you make a starter from a small % of the vial then reseal it and save the rest?

What does the blurb on the vial say for storing it?
ksarrow
Novice

Post by ksarrow »

Found a lot of great info on this site.

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Yeast-bank/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
KYMountainMan
Novice

Post by KYMountainMan »

That last post made me want to start more science experiments! :D

I could basically have an entire yeast bank in my freezer to pull from at any time. If I think some of them are outdated, I could regrow more yeast from the yeast in the 'Bank' and keep it going indefinitely. All I would need would be the 'Parent' strain from the home brew supplier, and I could perpetuate that initial strain indefinitely.

Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for!
Stumpy Al
Novice

Post by Stumpy Al »

For my rum I use 600 ML of last batch. I keep it in mason jar for next run
Stumpy Al
Novice

Post by Stumpy Al »

I collect yeast on second day of ferment and then put it in the refer. The girls just go to sleep.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

ksarrow wrote:Found a lot of great info on this site.

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Yeast-bank/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Yes, freezing is the way to go if you want very long term storage. But I have found the process to be somewhat of a... Pain in the a$$. Plus, it takes too much room and I am lucky enough to have a separate fridge dedicated for this and my home brew.

Fortunately, I came across another method that is much easier, takes less room and storage is much more flexible. In fact, you don't even need a fridge. I do keep mine in the fridge at about 35°F. I currently have 5 different strains banked that are about 2 and half years old. Best of all it doesn't require any tools or ingredients that you don't already have.
I'm goin the distance...
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

MitchyBourbon wrote:
ksarrow wrote:Found a lot of great info on this site.

Yes, freezing is the way to go if you want very long term storage. But I have found the process to be somewhat of a... Pain in the a$$. Plus, it takes too much room and I am lucky enough to have a separate fridge dedicated for this and my home brew.

Fortunately, I came across another method that is much easier, takes less room and storage is much more flexible. In fact, you don't even need a fridge. I do keep mine in the fridge at about 35°F. I currently have 5 different strains banked that are about 2 and half years old. Best of all it doesn't require any tools or ingredients that you don't already have.
Interesting, sooooooo......................what is your miracle method :?:
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

So sorry. Hockey was calling me.

I suspend the yeast in a isotonic sodium chloride solution. That's isotonic not gin and tonic.

You see, the key to long term yeast storage is the elimination of osmotic pressure. So let's talk a bit about osmotic pressure. If you have a liquid with a high salt concentration, the osmotic pressure of this solution is high. On the other hand, distilled water which has almost no salts has a low osmotic pressure. If two liquids with different osmotic pressures are connected by a membrane, the two pressures want to equalize: Water from the low pressure solution wants to pass through the membrane and flow into the high pressure solution. The water flows until the two pressure potentials of the two solutions are equalized. So if yeast are placed in a solution that is too salty they will dehydrate and die. If placed in a solution that has too little salt the yeast will absorb water till they explode and die.

So what's isotonic? It's just right. Isotonic in this case refers to solutions which have the same osmotic pressure as the cells itself.

So here is what I do. When I buy yeast from the brew shop I buy it in those vials. Before I pitch the yeast I boil liter of tap with 9 grams of salt. Let cool. After pitching the yeast there are still a ml or two of yeast still in the vial. It's a tiny amount but thats all you need. Then I add about 10 ml of the now cool salt water to the vial. Screw the cap on put it in the fridge or don't. Normally I keep mine in the fridge.

To reanimate, prepare a small starter. Add 10 grams dry malt extract to 100 ml water. Add just 1 ml from the vial that you had in storage. Allow this to ferment out completely. This may take longer than your usual ferments as the yeast may be a bit groggy. Then prepare a 900 ml starter with 90 grams dry malt extract. Add the contents of the first starter to it and allow it to ferment. When this is done you should have enough yeast for your next 5 gallon wash.

Note: if your tap water has a lot of salts in it, use distilled water.
I'm goin the distance...
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

uhmmm Mitchy do you think this would work also using trub from a ferment or that's not sterile enough?
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:uhmmm Mitchy do you think this would work also using trub from a ferment or that's not sterile enough?
Sure, you just need to make sure you wash the yeast real good. You also need to make sure that the yeast you store is real healthy to start with. If you had any issues with you ferment you probably don't want to use it.

There is one piece of equipment that comes in real handy if you get into baking yeast and that's a stir plate. Mine cost me $50 and it has paid for itself many times over. If I didn't bank my yeast I'd probably go back to bakers. I guess what stops me from doing just that, is that I also brew a lot of beer and bakers just doesn't make for a good beer.
I'm goin the distance...
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

@MitchyBourbon

Two questions for you, sir.

1) "<snip> 900 ml starter with 90 grams dry malt extract... you should have enough yeast for your next 5 gallon wash."
If I'm planning a 10 gal wash, can I double the starter and DMW size to create the desired yeast amount? Is it straight forward?

2) "<snip> make sure you wash the yeast real good."
How do you wash yeast?
I've collected it and separated the darker trub ... what more do I need to do to wash it?

Thanks.
-Just need something else to build. -