Yeast Energizer ?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeast Energizer ?

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

A few weeks ago while ordering some DAP for an upcoming ferment I noticed that the vendor was selling yeast energizer. I understand that our little yeastie friends need nutrients to thrive but what exactly is a yeast energizer ?

Thanks, FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Yeast Energizer ?

Post by still_stirrin »

FMH,

http://www.northernbrewer.com/yeast-energizer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Good nutes for yeast to chew on.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

DAP with extras
It is what you make it
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Yeah, looks like DAP, some boiled yeast, a pinch of epsom salts, and a B vitamin. Thanks SS, that's good to know.

Now I wonder what's in Fermax.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Looks like the same thing as "yeast energizer" with a pinch of calcium salts
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/fe ... t-4oz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

That makes perfect sense.

Mighty nice of C & B to kick down the info.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

If you use yeast nutrient on a nearly filled carboy of fresh pressed grapes – you’d better stand back. Sometime in the night the fermentation might fountain up through the bubble airlock and you’ll have a mess to clean up. I’ve learned firsthand to leave a little more space unfilled at the top of a carboy and to respect the power of yeast nutrient.

In advertising, “energizer” must equal nutrient. I heard about yeast nutrient more than 40 years ago but I’ve only been using it myself for the last decade or so. Your OP made me wonder however, what DAP was. Unfortunately that caused more reading.

-----------------
Here are three sentences that I wrote about a decade ago, but intend to restructure now:

* Yeast nutrient provides the vitamins, amino acids, nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus that yeast cells need to grow well.
* Contents of packages labeled “Yeast Nutrient” may include: dead yeast, folic acid, niacin, diammonium phosphate, calcium pantothenate, magnesium sulphate and thiamine hydrochloride.
* Homemade nutrient might be made from ammonium or potassium sulphate and ammonium or potassium phosphate plus a few vitamin B1 pills.

From the middle sentence the observer should note that “folic acid” = vitamin B9 or = vitamin M or = pteroylglutamic acid. “Niacin” of course is another name for nicotinic acid or vitamin B3. “Calcium pantothenate” (or pantothenic acid) is another name for vitamin B5 – which is an essential nutrient for all living animals. “Thiamine hydrochloride” from that same sentence is the sulfur-containing vitamin which is essential for all living organisms and which is better known as vitamin B1. The last three typical yeast nutrient ingredients are DAP, Epsom salts and non functioning yeast cells. “Diammonium phosphate” provides the yeast with extra nitrogen and is created by reacting phosphoric acid with ammonia (nitrogen & hydrogen). [Phosphoric acid is predominately used to acidify soft drinks like Coke a Cola (also good for pickling steel or cleaning metals]. If you drink water with magnesium sulfate you’ll get diarrhea but it makes great plant food. I read somewhere an explanation of why dead yeast cells are useful in yeast nutrient – but have forgotten. Perhaps it works like oyster beds; where you shuck an oyster, eat it, then throw the shells or hulls back into the water for the benefit of little baby oysters.

Blackstrap molasses itself, makes an excellent yeast nutrient (vitamins and minerals for snotty little kids at bedtime too). In the third sentence the phosphates and sulfates mentioned are most frequently encountered as fertilizers. [It is off topic but interestingly, potassium sulfate also reduces muzzle flash in artillery propellant charges, and is occasionally used as a fining agent and flux for glass].

In conclusion or in an emergency; I figure you could whip-up a satisfactory yeast nutrient - from some Multi-vitamin/mineral pills, whole smear B complex type vitamin pills and some Miracle-Gro plant food.
Omnia mea mecum porto
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

I had a stuck ferment, It just quit.

I threw in 3 packs yeast and 10 teaspoosn yeast nutrient.
immediately took off, and with in a couple of hours i had a nice cap, and a bubbler that sounded like a full auto uzi

brrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrrbrrrrr
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

frodo wrote:I threw in 3 packs yeast and 10 teaspoosn yeast nutrient.
Please share the nutrient you added with us.

DAP?
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

from there website
fermax.gif
DSCN3921.JPG
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks.
NortherStiller
Novice

Post by NortherStiller »

I use Fermax and Fermaid, both work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

I've been using BSG nutes.
I didn't add more yeast, but added a cake and nutes from another wash if done.
Yield was low but it actually had a decent flavor.
I added a touch of maple extract to it.
Came out nice for an 85% grain.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I had 4 inches of clear space above the grape pulp before I added the yeast last night. Stirred the contents up twice this morning before putting the airlock on around noon.

I come by an hour or so later and the pressure had already shot out the tinted fluid in the airlock, burped out sticky grape juice all over the lid and down the sides. Like a teakettle that is too hot, the gas is exiting in a steady stream and too fast to see individual bubbles. The ferment has been going like this for 45 - 60 minutes and shows no sign yet of slowing down, either. Darned yeast nutrient.

This video is dark and resolution poor, but the digital camera helps by being ancient and obsolete. I've no software or experience needed to enhance the video either. Will attempt to stick the video on Google Drive though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ogNS ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Omnia mea mecum porto
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Since I have not been able to find any DAP locally, I substituted some 15-50-15 fertilizer that I have. Since DAP is typically around 18-46-0, I figured that it would be fine. And it was.
So, in a pinch if you have no yeast nutrient or DAP, you can use fertilizer in the right percentages. After all, it is all derived from various mineral salts to create the needed nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. DAP typically only contains the first two, but the potassium in fertilizer can be helpful as well since it helps raise the pH.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

skow69 wrote:Yeah, looks like DAP, some boiled yeast, a pinch of epsom salts, and a B vitamin. Thanks SS, that's good to know.

Now I wonder what's in Fermax.
Fermax is a premium nutrient which contains diammonium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate and autolyzed yeast. Great for all beer and winemaking. Use 1 tsp per gallon in last 10 minutes of boil.

found on brew & grow Minnesota web site searching "fermax yeast nutrient msds"
be water my friend
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

"Fermax Yeast Nutrient is a proprietary yeast food in powder form. Containing diammonium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, yeast hulls, B vitamins and calcium salts, it supplies all important nutrients that yeast require for a healty fermentation.... The use of a proper nutrient will also minimize the possibility of sulfide frormation during fermentation (of grape must). Typical use is between 1 and 4 grams (1 teaspoon) per gallon. Divided doses are recommended, with half added at the start of fermentation and the remainder added midway through fermentation."

I have always done the divided dose thing, but I use about half what they recommend. Like 1 teaspoon twice in 5 gallons. It is also very alkaline so it helps keep the pH in range.
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

Anyone notice a difference between Nutes?
Since I started distilling I used BSG nutes as well.
I picked up some fancy White Labs nutes thinking it'd be better as it's designed by yeast Mfg's.

This current mash will be my third time using it.
Not a fan, I honestly thing that the BSG worked better, take offs seemed faster anyway.