71B-1122

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

71B-1122

Post by frodo »

trying a new yeast, Lalvin 71B-1122
Saccharomyces cerevisiae
it is a yeast for making wine and baking bread

any one have any luck with this yeast ?

I had a bakers yeast stall out, so i added nutrients and this new yeast. It took off after a couple hours and is chugging right along.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: 71B-1122

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'm making a raspberry mead right now and I used the 1122 based on some info from Jimbo:

"Id order up some 71B1122 and some fermax. It will be worth the extra couple days wait. 1118 has a high alcohol tolerance, much higher than 71B1122. The point of this approach making a sweet mead is for the yeast to give up before the alcohol gets too high, leaving lots of nice residual sweetness. As it was I think I got to 15% ish range. With 1118 you'll hit 18% or 20%, it will be less sweet (obviously) and sharper to drink (40 proof). Also 71B1122 is known to accentuate fruity flavors in fruit ferments. It has some nice fruity esters of its own. 1118 is clean fermenting. You want this mead sweet, smooth and fruity, not crisp, dry and high alcohol. Thats basically all in the yeast."

The yeast has been working well. I'm step feeding my honey into the mead and I have about 5# left to add, then the fruit. All seems to be working great so far.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I use it when I ferment in the winter because it works at lower temps. I always liked what I've gotten out of it.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I started with the 1122 last year because Jimbo recommended it. I like it and D-47 because they ferments cold and adds fruitiness but cuts can be a little difficult.