Keeping my yeast alive

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Keeping my yeast alive

Post by Deerhunter »

I would like to keep my yeast alive and use it for a 3rd generation sweet feed run. I have to clean my barrel and was wondering how I can keep my yeast alive while I empty my barrel of spent grains. I've use these grains for 2 runs already and don't believe I could use them a 3rd time. Or can I?
Attachments
IMG_1764.JPG
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
rubber duck
retired

Re: Keeping my yeast alive

Post by rubber duck »

Ya you can use the grain for a third run, take a some out and add some new stuff.

For saving yeast this is a good way to do it if you do a lot of fermentations. When the fement is really vigorous scoop off the top of the ferment, this is where the really good yeast is. Put it in a jar and don't forget to Crack the lid every couple of days to let off pressure. That will give you a good vigorous yeast that you can use agian. It's a really basic way to do it but it works ok, kinda old school and eventually somthing will contaminate it or maybe not if it you run into a crazy strain.

I personally don't do a lot of thin mashes, if I do I use the grain one time and save the yeast, but you can dump some grain add a little new grain and the old yeast in the barrel will get it going with no problem.

I use old wine barrels to do my fermentation, and I don't clean them other then a rinse to get the gunk out. Probably wouldn't pass helth inspection but it tastes good.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Why do you need to clean it? I never do for UJSSM style ferments. I scoop out a third of the trub and replace it with a third of the grain bill each time and that works well. You can probably scoop out 2/3rds and replace it with 2/3rds without getting rid of too much yeast, not that I've tried it. Make sure that the make up water is well aerated and the next generation should be off like a rocket.

If you need to clean it because you had an undesirable infection, you shouldn't try to re-use the yeast.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote:Why do you need to clean it? I never do for UJSSM style ferments. I scoop out a third of the trub and replace it with a third of the grain bill each time and that works well.
The method above works fine for me to, had the same UJSM washes fermenting in the same containers for about 4 years now....never cleaned them once...just replace a bit of grain each time. Distilling is not like beer brewing where hygiene is critical.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Reason I'm asking is my barrel does not have a removable head. Removing a third of grain is a pain in the ass for me. Excuse my French as my old man use to say. L.ooks like I'll be searching for a new barrel
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

At the top once you do a few runs will be some that floats. remove that and say 1/2" to 1" and replace with new. I've done 4 gens already on the same grains this way.

You can preserve the yeast also, At the bottom is a yeast cake and lees. Save some that and put in the fridge for later ferments normally works well. Been doing that with the us05 I used for starting other ferments. I ferment in the basement so cooler and use us05 as its a pretty clean ferment.

B