Yeast Flocculation

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeast Flocculation

Post by greggn »

Does ambient light impact yeast flocculation once fermentation is complete ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
rad14701
retired

Re: Yeast Flocculation

Post by rad14701 »

greggn wrote:Does ambient light impact yeast flocculation once fermentation is complete ?
It can, especially if the light heats the fermentation vessel causing convectional currents within the wash... A cool place out of direct sunlight works best...
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> It can, especially if the light heats the fermentation vessel

Once racked into a secondary, the carboy is against a cool exterior wall away from direct sunlight so heat is not a factor. I just wondered if ambient electric lighting in the room could influence flocculation.

My AG wheat washes tend to need 5 - 7 days to clear the suspended yeast (though they never clear like a corn wash). I may try some different techniques to block light to see if there's an improvement but it'll take many ferments to reach a conclusion.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Humblebiker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Humblebiker »

Strangely, it was after many years of making wine, bad wine, that I was finally educated as to the importance of leaving your fermentation in a dark place. Literally, years...I had no clue that this was important. Now that I have been "edumacated" my home-made wine is much more tasty. This forum is truly the best thing that has ever happened in the world of the home brewer/distiller. I've learned more from this fine group of like minded individuals sharing their mistakes and discoveries than I have learned from any published book that I have read. Thank you all! :thumbup:
Humblebiker
"Never fall in love. You'll get it all over your face."