Amylase

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

KYBANDIT
Novice

Amylase

Post by KYBANDIT »

My source for the 5lb bag of amylase closed the doors...Where is the best place to purchase? Was paying roughly 35 bucks for the 5lb bag...
StimpDog
Novice

Re: Amylase

Post by StimpDog »

I'm about to make my first batch of corn mash and in reading the recommended literature "making pure corn whisky", it says:

"some home distillers have observed that the use of amylase has very little affect on the reduction of unfermentable sugars, and have decided to stop using it"...the author suggests that "you prepare a batch or two without using amylase and compare the terminating gravitey (TG) to the TG of batches prepared with amylase. If the amylase is working you will observe a noticeably lower TG when it it used".

can anyone here verify this? I just want to know if I should be investing in amylase.

thanks, Stimp'Dog
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

It's an old book. Perhaps the liquid enzymes we now use, were not available at this time.
5lbs is a bit crazy. Search here for SEBamyl and SEBstar. You will find much information. Those enzymes are not needed for a good whiskey, but depending on the grain bill make life easier.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
StimpDog
Novice

Post by StimpDog »

at what point in the process do you add amylase? can i add it when i add the yeast?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Stimp,
no spoonfeeding. It's a long story. And there is more than 1 type of amylase. And each demands a different process. And each grain bill and perhaps milling grade demands little changes...

Search for the liquid enzymes. And recipes like Booner's all corn.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

Like Der Wo said, SEBamyl and SEBstar. Best enzymes in the world!
Can be found here: https://enzymash.biz/index.php?route=pr ... ry&path=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Instructions also found on this site too.