Microbiological testing on mailorder enzyme preparations

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

butterpants
Swill Maker

Microbiological testing on mailorder enzyme preparations

Post by butterpants »

In my second post I detailed how I was planing to prepare a whiskey mash. I'm adverse to bugs in my fermentations so I mentioned I'd being pulling off grains and flash pasturizing the wort prior to fermentation. A user (Cuginosgrizzo) inquired about some liquid SEBamyl GL (or Beano but I opted not to go with Beano) being added to the cold side of my process and its potential impact on microbiological load. So I put together a very quick experiment to put this issue to bed in my mind. Figured I'd share it here with y'all.

What were testing:
Weather or not there are any fermentation spoilage organisms present in SEBamyl GL preparations or derived from the repackagers.

Methodology:
Serial dilution of enzyme samples 1:10 and 1:100 then spread plate onto different enriched agar media. Incubation at 25C for 10 days, aerobic and anaerobic, in the dark. Obviously sterile technique used for all plate preparations.

Products Used
Enzymes were SEBamyl GL obtained from enzymash.biz

Micro media used was MRS (designed especially to enhance growth to lactic acid bacteria), PDA (general fungal growth), WLN (nutritive media for yeast and beer spoilers but selective for acid producing microbes by color changes)

Results

No growth was observed.

I'm fairly confident tossing this stuff right in a fermentation bucket or anywhere on the cold side of a ferment. :thumbup:
Attachments
microtestingenzymes.jpg
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Microbiological testing on mailorder enzyme preparations

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Great job butterpants, and thanks for the review! you sure know your game :)