Two different yeasts in a batch

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Two different yeasts in a batch

Post by amdamgraham »

Hello,
I've been making straight corn whiskey using enzymes, Sebstar Hi-temp and regular beta. At this time of year my house is a little cold, middle to low 60's. I was thinking of using a lower-temp yeast on this recent batch but I could not get to the homebrew store in time and so I pitched Fleishmans dry bread yeast at abut 90 degrees and things got going nice and strong. I wrap up the fermenter to insulate and hold temp as best I can but the temperature eventually drops, of course. It's been 4 days and the activity level has dropped considerably. I have another 6 days until I will do a run. Is there any point in adding another yeast strain into this scenario that perhaps will work better at the lower temperatures? Since it got a really good start the yeast population should be high so even if it is slow and the activity is cut in half from optimum, there are 6 more days to go. Is it possible my yield would suffer in this situation due to the lowered activity and unfermented sugars?
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Two different yeasts in a batch

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Sounds like my normal method. Try it and see how it goes for you, works for me.
MDH
Distiller

Re: Two different yeasts in a batch

Post by MDH »

For lower temperatures, just use higher pitch rates of yeast.

Lager yeast strains are ideal for low temperature fermentation. You can then finish the attenuation with a low-temperature wine strain such as Champagne, or another conditioning, which is meant to ferment at cellar temperatures.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.