amylase enzyme

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

amylase enzyme

Post by Kabundokan »

hello everyone, does anyone knows about LD Carlson Amylase Enzyme? I just bought a few weeks ago and it didn't came with instructions/papers, I hope it's not fake. lol. I used google to see if there are info about this type of amylase.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: amylase enzyme

Post by still_stirrin »

It is used to help "dry out" beers that may stop fermenting too soon (too high of mash temperatures). Typically, 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons is adequate to reduce some of the long chain sugars in beer and allow the yeast to ferment a little longer.

Make a little slurry by adding the enzyme powder into a cup of warm (not hot) water and stir it into the ferment. Or it could be added to the mash tun during the beta amylase temperature rest.

Effectiveness in our duty...YMMV.

I much prefer the liquid enzymes for mashing distiller's beer. See the hotlink in my signature for more info.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

It's a powdered enzyme. Likely low (room) temperature.
There is surprisingly little info on that (legit) brand.
Most labels I found for it say "1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons."
Here's one discussion: http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =3&t=62089
amylase.png
amylase.png (43.04 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kabundokan »

I bought this kind of enzyme from Ebay. And the seller looks legitimate because they sell alcohol making products. I read the description of the the item at "more information" and it says that it should convert starches to sugar up to 94%. anyway I tried it with potato. boiled and mashed then tested the liquid with iodine and it turned black, shook it well, and still black.
I added the amylase as required and kept the temperature at 145F for an hour and using my digital thermometer. Tested it again with iodine; it turned black but then it disappeared, shook I stirred it well, and no discolouration.
I assumed that it converted the starch into sugar. I did the gravity and it's about 1.02. I only used 5 knuckle size potatoes. I will purchase an alpha amylase from the city and compare the results the next mash.
I will let you know what are the results after.
I will try it on corn as I have lots of friends that just loved the liker. lol.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Going from what others have said, potatoes don't yield as much starch as corn.
Seems odd as starchy as those suckers are. But listen to experience.

Also make sure you iodine only the liquid and not solids. Solids will skew your test.
Kabundokan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kabundokan »

yup. I only used iodine on the liquid. I used the amylase on making rye whiskey as well and it looks like it converted the starches into sugar and gave me a gravity of 1.04 which that gave me about 6%-7% potential alcohol. gravity was taken the day after steeping. Cooled down to about room temperature.
I will leave the link on here.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1oz-AMYLASE-ENZY ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Radek
Novice

Post by Radek »

Alpha-Amylase starch hydrolyzing enzyme. For preparing mash from grinded rye, wheat, , rice, and other grains.
Directions for use: Heat water to 85 -95°C in container and add grinded grain of Your choice in the following ratio: 1 kg grinded gains per 3 to 4 L of water. Mix thoroughly. After 15 to 30 min, add alpha enzyme (1,3g per 1kg of kibbled grain). Maintain the temperature of the mixture at 95°C for 1h whilst stirring continuously. Then leave mash to cool down to 30°C. Add a a sachet with distillery yeast (You will find it in my offer) and ferment 3 to 7 days in accordance with the instruction on the package.

http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Alpha-Amylas ... %20amylase

http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Alpha-Amylas ... %20amylase