Dunder Pit - In Honor of ShineOn

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Dunder Pit - In Honor of ShineOn

Post by TDick »

Okay, first things first.
I AM STILL A NEWBIE

I was reading page TWO of ShineOn's topic "Feed grade molly and brown sugar wash"
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 40&t=64374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I asked not a stupid question, but one that indicated I had not read from the beginning.
ShineOn patiently replied and sent me back to school, and I am SO glad he did.

Reading through from the beginning was a great educational process that I invite every newb to do.
It's ABC's on thinking through a process to make the product you want. Thanks again ShineOn! :D

BUT - part of the discussion - about Dunder - confused me. At one point Shine was concentrating on his Dunder.
Then, the statement that the Dunder makes no difference and is a waste of time.
Lately back to square one and his working on a Dunder Pit.
I wanted to find out more about this but didn't want to muddy the wash on the original thread.
I Googled Dunder Pit and found this article - very interesting, at least to me.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/great-rum- ... goat-heads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

There has been a lot of conversation about "quality" rums, and I'd like to get more input from the Pro's about this.
Thanks again ShineOn!
:mrgreen:
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Dunder Pit - In Honor of ShineOn

Post by Shine0n »

I'm glad you mentioned my saying dunder was useless part, I'll try and clarify some.
When at the time I said that, it was ment for adding fresh dunder to the wash, not low wines. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on that particular part of the thread. At the time I wasn't in to stripping runs because my original rum recipe is what I normally make to consume.

Now I'm just experimenting with dunder because....?????
I have no idea really :crazy: just because I guess.

Maybe I should've made different threads for my trials but I figured that if I keep all my rum stuff in one place it would be an easy find later and could see how things progress.
During these experiments if I find that adding the aged infected dunder makes my rum that much better I'll open a new thread in the appropriate section. Kind of why I opened this section this am, pondering whether to start a new one here for this new mess I have going on.

I'm glad to see you have started a thread of your own but at any time you have a question about what I'm doing you can post on my thread, I'll try and keep most of everything posted in there about rum and ALL that applies, dunder, temps, fermenting, running my still etc.etc.

What I'm trying to do is have enough strip of rum to do a low wines run with infected dunder and see what the outcomewill be. better? worse?
I've mentioned that I plan on doing different infections with my limited (cheap) resources.
This one is done with potatoes
Next will try and get a lacto by using some malted barley
One will be with a cheese culture (Swiss)

So on and so on and let these dunder pits age for some time.

If I find that there is a good major difference than I will post in the recipe development.

For now I'm just having fun, I get some serenity sitting in the barn running the still and reading here on HD.

Now I'm at a point where I want to explore new and interesting recipes. If it's a bust, it will be noted and I can learn from mistakes I've made.

As for dunder pits, I haven't a clue what the hell I'm doing. Just been reading (alot) and seems like fun to try!
You show me a person who's never failed and I'll show you a person who's never tried!!!

Shine0n