Infection #2

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Infection #2

Post by Shine0n »

I've decided to make 2-4.5 gal infections of the same type, I poured out the dunder splitting my 5 gal buckets after a good stir to resuspend any glump, solids left in the boiler.
I then added 1 cup each- malted barley and at some point today I'll check my ph and use pickling lime to adjust according.
I did add 1/4 cup oyster shells to buffer from the sudden drop after the infection takes ahold

On the top of the buckets I put an old window screen with bricks on the edges to keep out the damn flies, them little jokers are terrible around here and in my potatoes infection I opened yesterday there were maggots like fukn crazy, but damn if that didn't smell better now than it did last week. ???...???

I'll get a pic up soon as the magic starts to happen,
Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Infection #2

Post by Shine0n »

less that 24 hours and a nice film has completely covered the top of each bucket. I was in a hurry when I stopped in and just to check on the newest ferment (rum) and of course as soon as I bring my ferments outside a nor easter blows in and drops temps to 73f and the ferment hasn't even started. It is gen 3 on the yeast and I'm thinking I'll have to find a way to raise the temps and pitch new yeast with a healthy starter and see what happens.

FYI-I did exactly the same for all my rum ferment, hot tap water to dissolve the BS and moll, used cooler water to bring to pitching temps (95f) and aerated , oyster shells and a pinch of Epsom salt.

In what I thought would be a lacto has not started off that way just by the visual, the film on top is redish and may be because of the dunder. The smell is not much at all as of the moment but is subject to change any day, maybe this temp swing will slow things down a bit, I don't know how or if that will affect this infection good or bad but time will tell.

Pics later today,
Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just looked at der wo's infected dunder thread and mine looks exactly like his one with the yogurt starter so now I'm a little happier to know is what I was thinking it was. WHEW!!!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2017-07-29 15.24.24.jpg
Sorry for the not so clear pic but that's the best my phone does after resizing.
It looks like a dry dirt in high Def
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just got back in town tonight so I went to check on the ferment and it's dry as a bone. Hopefully I can do the strip this weekend, and next ferment will be 30 gal now I have a bigger fermenter open.

One of the pits gas gotten invaded my small fruit flies so I think I'll just sterilize it and put away in the fridge for later use.

The other is going beautifully and perhaps I can keep the bugs out, I'm thinking of some redneck Ingenuity is in the making for a new lid.

It still had a nice sour smell and the top looks alot thicker than last week so whatever is growing is strong and very dominant to not let any other funk grow.

I'll keep on track and get another 2 pits started this weekend.

I'll post another pic of its progress tomorrow as well.

Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

As of Sunday the pellicle has dropped and I've yet again neglected to keep up with this dunder, shit happens!!!

It was nice and sour smelling and full of aromas I really can't describe, sour, sweet, almost floral in a way.

I'll this coming weekend I'll strain and boil and set aside, I think I've gotten the lactic acid and what all comes along with that aspect of it.

Maybe it's time for some age!?!?!?!

Who knows " der wo" lol and the 2 other pits have taken on a mind of their own, the cheese smells weird but good as if I know how to explain that :crazy:

The soil has taken a note of body oder, shit if I know but I'll try them anyway and possibly have something turn out great or at least good.

most likely I'll blend all these to make a wonder rum or complete shit but time will tell.

once mixed with alcohol they may end up with some sort of contribution of esters that go well with rum. I never thought it would be 4 months I'm doing just rum!

I've learned alot over the last few months, I know that doing an infection in the dunder is alot easier than a whole ferment!!! I still need to play with ratios to dial in the low wines to dunder part. I've been doing 25/75 and it very noticeable in the final spirit, maybe I'll learn to document this stuff better in the future but I guess that's why I post here so I can look back and see progress or failure.

I'm not afraid of failure because it shoes I've tried something most are are not willing to do. I see many have viewed this thread but none have replied and that's ok, it's for educational purposes only and I don't blame them because if I haven't tried something like this what the hell could I offer or say??? It's all good!!

I have however kept up with the temps and growth of the pellicle and when it has went dormant so that much I do know,

I've read so much that my eyes stopped bleeding, I know shit most don't and those who do and have shared their input I'm sooo grateful for your knowledge, thanks

der wo expecially, you have shown me (not personally) and in some ways not intended but you are the fukn man!!! I appreciate everything you document and share the way you do because I just don't have it in me. not that I don't want to but it's just because I don't (yet ) have the knowledge. I'm learning though and will continue to do these crazy, strange, interesting, and plum out wild things to achieve my goal of better than commercial spurits.

Thanks all!!!
Shine0n
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Hi ShineOn,

I didn't write, because you have no questions I think. And every comment I could write, you already know from my infection threads.

"body odor" is butyric acid. The clostridia in the soil produced it.

I recommend you to get a bottle sulphuric acid. It wipes the bad smells away and increases the good smells. And then be careful, if you really want to use 25% dunder. And make small sample mixes of low wines and each dunder before the spirit run. Perhaps you like the cheese dunder more than body odor dunder. The esters of the body odor dunder will get carried over stronger probably.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's a good idea of making small samples to check first.

I'll look into getting the acid, thanks.
I'm headed back now to read your thread on where you've used it and amounts per litre and convert it into quarts and gallons.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The pellicle has fallen or been eaten by the critters and has taken a very sweet smell once again, I mean very nice smelling.
I'll strain off and boil and keep for the next spirit run.
I may syphon off whats on top because of all the shit I won't talk about but looks and smells great. lol

I still haven't gotten sulphuric acid yet but is on my list next Friday and will pull a sample to experiment with and hope it brings out some esters to carry over with the final run.

I'm also thinking of doing Buccaneer Bob's essence to try on a small (quart) jar for long term aging as well. possibly the black stuff as it seems fitting for this project.

Great stuff happening with these rums, wish I had more der wo in me to document as well as he does but that's what I have for now.

Shine0n
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Shine0n wrote:I'll strain off and boil and keep for the next spirit run. You don't need to boil. The alcohol concentration will be high enough to kill all bacteria. And the heat will destroy the toxins, if there are any.

I still haven't gotten sulphuric acid yet but is on my list next Friday and will pull a sample to experiment with and hope it brings out some esters to carry over with the final run. I am very curious how you like the effect of the sulphuric acid.

I'm also thinking of doing Buccaneer Bob's essence to try on a small (quart) jar for long term aging as well. possibly the black stuff as it seems fitting for this project. This dunder I would cook before use, because it doesn't get redistilled.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If at all possible could the mods add this thread to my original dunder pit infections thread? It all seems to run together and in all honesty I should've kept it there to begin with.

It seems to be just too much jumping around to find the same thing on the same subject and I feel would be better to be with the other posts as it whats der wo and I have been trying to do.

If it's possible thanks, if not I'll just continue with the original thread,
Shine0n