Apple wild yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Apple wild yeast

Post by Shine0n »

Tis the season of apples as I have some falling from the trees and the brix is a solid 13 (nice hard line)

I'm only going to try wild yeast for a couple gallons of hard cider to keep and drink.

I have 3 trees within a 50'triangle on the driveway edge, 2 are the same and one is different. I want to harvest the yeast and multiply with their own juices until I have enough to store for future use.

This will be done in a controlled environment (not lab) under stable temp conditions.

5 apples will be used in each sample, processing them and putting into a half gal mason jar with vented lid (coffee filter) so they don't go POP!
1- core and process apples
2- Set in dark closet to ferment
3-feed pure apple cider until desired quantity is reached

I'm reading but don't quite understand about washing the yeast!?!?!?

These will be used only for a couple gallons of hard cider I don't plan to distill if needed and they don't ferment well.

Just having fun!

The plan for fermenting for likker is to use ec1118 but if some of the yeast are kicking strong and I have enough I may go that route. Who kows... Cranky, MDH, jimbo. lol

Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Apple wild yeast

Post by Shine0n »

I've been reading on some cider forums and man they make it hard on a fella trying to do something for a first time.
adding this, dont add that, this yeast, wild yeast, long term, short term, sparkling, sweet, semi sweet, dry.

If there some on here who make a semi sweet cider, carb or no who could give me a little help it would be appreciated.
I know wild yeast can be a crap shoot and I plan to only sacrifice a few gallons, 5-10 but if all goes well and I hope it does I will most definitely try a larger wild yeast ferment for the brandy.

As it is I may not have time to do large quantities of apples this year like planned but I have obligations that take priority over ciders and likker.

I still will do what I can when I can and 10 gal is very doable and possibly more.

Thanks, Shine0n
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

When mine reaches my desired sweetness, I prime with simple syrup and bottle. When they are primed, the whole batch is refrigerated until drunk. If fussy about the yeast, I refrigerate inverted and disgorge them when they are ready.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Chris, I've not heard that said before. Disgorge? I think I know but not sure exactly.
Also do you ferment with wild yeast or a name brand?

I'd really like some drinkable cider next year so I'm doing all the research I can with my time restraint due to work and all the help I get is most appreciated.

I've been reading on a cider forum and watching different videos and seems all are from Europe and those apples are not local to me.

I'm thinking of fermenting juice and pulp separate and run the pulp for a calvados and I don't see too much on here.

Don't get me wrong, I've read Cranky's thread and jimbos and it has little to do with just cider other than what they distill. Great stuff by the way to the both of you.

Time is getting short and I'm looking at every option and recommendations available in short order and I will continue to research on my own as well.

Thanks
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The wild yeast worked well and I plan to harvest them and keep refrigerated until next years apple season.

No infection, no off smells, just clean crisp apple ferment.

Good stuff, now I'll just continue on my apple journey thread from this point on.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Cider really can be as easy as crush, press, wait, bottle.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

As I've seen :thumbup:

There is a cider place in England that all they do is crush, press and age in oak barrels for a year and let the wild yeast do its thing.

I did buy 4 packs of D47 to use but I misplaced them :oops:

I'm still trying to find time to press what I can but I also have the idea of running pulp and all in the thumper.