Saving yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Saving yeast

Post by jon1163 »

So I've been using Safale US05 and pitching one pack per 5 gallons into my HBB mash. SG is around 1.06/1.05 and FG is usually 1.05/1.00...after storing in the fridge to settle this is what I have.

Safale 05 is $3/pack though so my plan is that after racking this to my boiler, to save some of this yellow sludge, which I'm guessing is yeast in a jar in the fridge. Then just pitch it in with my next batch of HBB instead of a new pack of dry yeast...

Will this work and how much of the sludge should I use for a 5 gallon batch?

ThanksImage
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Saving yeast

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

There is nothing wrong with using yeast from a previous ferment. Looks like you've got a nice little collection there! The only problem is make sure you're back set or your ferment is not too hot and you will be good to go my friend.

Use as much as you need. Sometimes people will throw half of the yeast in while the ferment is hot and then throw the last in after it has cooled down that way the yeast has extra Yummy's to feed on. It all depends on what your recipe calls for.

I've seen people use a pound of yeast on a very small ferment.... why? no idea! :crazy:

I use around 7 grams for 30 gallons, if that
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Saving yeast

Post by Desvio »

One of the things I actually got good at was saving yeast, in the beginning I was told that the sludge from your ferment is good for 5-7 more batches (I lean on 4-5 with the infrequency I ferment). "Washing" yeast I feel you lose some of that trub that serves as a necessary nutrient for the yeast, another one of those over-thought pieces.

You can make a starter and get them going, or just dump it in and go, I've done both with little differences in results.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.