Should I switch?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Should I switch?

Post by Chixter »

I've been a busy beaver lately, I'm turning into an AG fanatic. Consequently, my 2# stash of RedStar DADY is becoming depleted. I've also upped my batch sizes to 12-15 gal ferments as opposed to 5 -6 gal ferments for the sake of efficiency.
Being sorta new to this I have no other comparison. The DADY from RedStar has worked good for me it seems. Whether I have a 1.060 or a 1.040 SG this yeast takes it down to 1 or slightly below in about a week's time. Lately I have been running Jimbos AG using wheat. Soon to do 30# of barley, then experiment some. Very easy method IMHO. For someone who is exclusively doing grain whiskies, what are some recommendations for yeast varieties? I will probably get some more DADY but is there something better out there for a hoochmiester who is on a narrow path? Has anyone had experience with this?: https://www.homebrewing.org/500-g-Ferme ... ntEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Should I switch?

Post by still_stirrin »

The distiller’s yeast (DADY) is great for grain products. If you plan on a brandy, then a wine yeast would give you a nice flavor. The D47 strain is good with grapes. And Cranky likes the champagne yeast (Lalvin EC1118) for his apple ferments. It works steady and finishes with a clean profile.

But, since you’re on an “all grain” kick...stick with the DADY, unless it’s too expensive. Bread yeasts will work too and can be very economical. The secret to all good ferments is to keep the environment “friendly”...in the proper temperature range and with adequate aeration for cell budding. And with grain ferments, nutrition is provided for in the grains themselves.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree with you about the ease of Jimbo's recipe. I use it but with my rye. To answer your question or not answer it, I think we all have different tastes thus what yeast to use is very subjective. You have named a few of my favorites.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

I've had great results with Safale US05. I do AG as well. Jimbo's turn out great and I have some really good honey bourbon batches being combined right now