Rum Yeast Vs Champagne Yeast Vs Brewers Yeast

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sourwood
Novice

Rum Yeast Vs Champagne Yeast Vs Brewers Yeast

Post by Sourwood »

Hello All,
I wanted to reach out and check to see if it really matters what kind of yeast i use. I already have brewers yeast, but if I want to make a rum do i need to go out and get rum yeast or will it taste the same as long as I'm using Molasses in my mash?

Also, champagne yeast seems to be getting a lot of love in recipes i am reading. Is it just because the ABV is increased, or is it a taste thing as well?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Rum Yeast Vs Champagne Yeast Vs Brewers Yeast

Post by Saltbush Bill »

For Rum bakers yeast or a specialized Rum yeast would be my pick. 493EDV springs to mind.
A champagne yeast would be my last choice.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I agree with Salt bush

I tried the 493 EDV Rum yeast in a couple of fermentations but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between it and bread yeast , certainly not on my all molasses Rum .......perhaps it might be noticable on a Panela type rum .

Good rum fermentaions are Hot and fast ....pretty much the exact opersite of what a wine yeast likes .
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I like champagne yeast for neutrals only.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Yummyrum wrote:I agree with Salt bush

I tried the 493 EDV Rum yeast in a couple of fermentations but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between it and bread yeast , certainly not on my all molasses Rum .......perhaps it might be noticable on a Panela type rum .

Good rum fermentaions are Hot and fast ....pretty much the exact opersite of what a wine yeast likes .
That yeast is an industrial product designed to get greater yields. Taste isn't really a factor as to why its so popular with commercial distillers.
All molasses washes is precisely what it was isolated for. It can convert sugars in molasses that baker's yeast won't touch.

Its also a killer strain, so a rum could be started with a wild yeast and then finished with the 493.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Interesting Saltystaves . :thumbup:
Thought it must have been an ester thing but quantity makes more sense , especially from a commercial point of view .
Wasn't looking for that .
Think I have one more serve of that yeast in the fridge . Will check it out . Thanks
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

33C is the sweetspot for it. Yields drop off if the temps are higher or lower apparently.
I've got some in the fridge ready to go.
casamayor
Novice

Post by casamayor »

I tried the 493 EDV Rum yeast, no difference in taste with the baker yeast :wink:
Sourwood
Novice

Post by Sourwood »

Saltbush Bill wrote:For Rum bakers yeast or a specialized Rum yeast would be my pick. 493EDV springs to mind.
A champagne yeast would be my last choice.

Thanks Salt, and everyone else here, for your answers. I will keep in mind what you all said about Champagne yeast. I went ahead and started the rum ferment according to buccaneer bob's recipe (I used DADY yeast), but instead of granulated sugar i added 6 lbs of Panela. I will keep you updated on the results, if anyone would like.