Yeast question from a homebrewer's perspective

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

seabass
Rumrunner

Re: Yeast question from a homebrewer's perspective

Post by seabass »

I've had great results using the French saison yeast. Pitching at 83f and maintaining it throughout makes an incredible single malt. I'm pretty sure it's the same strain that westland uses for their single malt. It's an unmistakable flavor that is wonderful in single malt. I think I also get the same yeast flavor in stranahans. It's very similar anyway. Quick turnaround without a single downside that I can find.
vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vagabondmountainman »

Its a great yeast. I like the bourbon that it makes but haven't tried it in a single malt. I hadn't heard of Westland until now I'll have to check it out. It sounds like an amazing grainbill. It would be an interesting mash to try. Do you have a recipe recommendation or guess as to the percentages of each grain? If I was designing it somewhat like a beer I guess it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 70%-80 2 row, 10-15 % Munich, and 2.5 to 5% each or so of the extra special, chocolate and brown malts.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

That's a pretty good start I think. If I remember right, it was about 4% of extra special and chocolate. Maybe more like 10% brown. He went over most of his process in a single malt matters podcast. Lots of good info on there.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

The chocolate and extra special come across pretty strong at 4% for me. I'm sure the way you distill it will change how strong those flavors come across as well. The new make is like chocolate toffee with a bit of the belgian profile. Still no idea how it'll be after a year or two.
vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vagabondmountainman »

Thanks. I'll check out the podcast if I can find it, otherwise I'll go with your recommendations and try something like 70% pale 12 Munich, 10 brown, and 4 each of the chocolate and extra special. I bet this one would make a great split batch---half of the mash hopped and boiled as a Belgian Dubble, and half unhopped and fermented as distillers beer. I've distilled a couple Belgain Quads that were Westvleteren 12/St Bernadous ABT 12 clones and they made amazing whiskey where the toffee and plum notes came across. The second runnings of my stouts make really nice whiskeys as well. I'm really excited to try this grainbill. Thanks a lot for the idea.
Yodaspike
Novice

Post by Yodaspike »

Hi all
So i was wondering, cant get anything except bakers yeast, thus was wondering can i just take a bottle of ipa beer and add some water and sugar to make a starter, or is it a bit more difficult?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Yodaspike wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:24 pm Hi all
So i was wondering, cant get anything except bakers yeast, thus was wondering can i just take a bottle of ipa beer and add some water and sugar to make a starter, or is it a bit more difficult?
Unlikely, most beer is pasteurized (i.e. everything is killed) before its shipped. There are a few brands which don't do that, but they are rare.
Probably would work with wine.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Yodaspike »

Found some ipa beers here, which is supposedly unfiltered and unpasteurized, so was hoping that it should be as easy as just adding it to 1lt water and say 200gr sugar, wait a day or 2, if it starts to bubble then i guess all good
Last edited by Yodaspike on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Coopers brand beer from South Australia has a yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.
I've heard it can be done using it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

This may be of use to you.
There is much more out there if you google or look at the beer brewer forums.
I know you can use the Coopers with the red label as well......pretty sure its exported to quite a lot of countries.
Yodaspike
Novice

Post by Yodaspike »

👍 will see if i can find some and give it a go.
Will be good if i can, then get a nice big batch going with it and then take a few bottles to keep for future projects
Yodaspike
Novice

Post by Yodaspike »

A well, found some cheap and proper brewers yeast, malt and hops, gonna make a few starters and beer next week 😋
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

IMO if you're looking to produce a good drink and are starting out, there's a reason why you get pointed at Tried and True, and a reason why many of those recipes use baker's yeast: it works and generally makes a good product.

If you're at the stage of your distilling when you approach a batch with a particular flavour profile in mind before you start, knowing how to achieve it, then you're not going to be necessarily tied to a recipe and yeast strain selection will more than likely play a big role in the particular profile. Not saying it may not be bakers yeast if that's the profile you're chasing.

Definitely baker's yeasts are different strains. I have used 4 separate brands in making rum and cereal washes: Italian pizza yeast, Egyptian yeast (can't say much about it, label in Arabic) and two local strains. They performed similarly and all made good product. I could not tell the difference unless I tasted side-by-side and then there might even have been other factors at play, such as dunder use, and how old / infected it was, fermentation temperature, duration of fermentation, whether I clarified the molasses before & after fermentation, etc.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Bubbles2
Novice

Post by Bubbles2 »

Yodaspike wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:24 pm Hi all
Internet order
If you live in a crazy country where it is illegal to Brew....( was not so long ago here) Have any friends abroad? However if Beer is available than ordering brewing yeast does not sound out of the pic.
Yodaspike
Novice

Post by Yodaspike »

Normally getting these things here are easy, but because of covid, none of the shops has anything, was lucky to find what i did.
Either way, got brewers yeast, is going slow buy steady so cant wait to taste the beer, but will keep a few litres for future projects, beter than buying yeast all the time
Sulaiman
Novice

Post by Sulaiman »

Reading through this topic I think that I see why there is some disagreement,
Some are considering vodka, where presumably most of the flavours are left in the pot,
So yeast strain is not too important.

Others are considering whisky, rum etc. type products where I'm sure yeast strain, temperature, pH, nutrient types etc. have a significant impact on the flavour of the final product.
(plus, of course, the skill of the brewer and distiller)