What could go wrong?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MX450
Novice

What could go wrong?

Post by MX450 »

Hey all;

I have a question. Im thinking about making my first Wash and want to get your opinion on what will happen if the following ingredients are combined for the wash.

6 lbs. dark brown sugar
10lbs. Whits table sugar
4 gallons water.

heat to 165 and dissolve all sugars in the Stainless steel pot. Stirring constantly for at least 10 minutes to kill any bacteria that may be present.

check PH and adjust to between 4.5 and 5.0 using Apple cider vinegar and 3 small lemons to accomplish this.

Once Temp is about 80 degrees then toss in about 4 tablespoons you Turbo Whiskey yeast.

Cover and wait.

Starting SG should be around 1.132

Again, What kind of flavor could I be expected from this wash? If I was to put this together.

This would be ran in a 10 gallon pot still with straight 1/2 in. ID and 5/8in. OD copper line to the same dia. copper line made into a 5 coil worm in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks in advance, MX
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: What could go wrong?

Post by StillerBoy »

MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm I have a question. Im thinking about making my first Wash and want to get your opinion on what will happen if the following ingredients are combined for the wash.
Option.. Best you not try this so called recipe, as there's many issue identified with it..

As a first try at making a wash, try one from the Tried & True recipes.. that way you can learn the proper way, and if you failed at understanding the process, help would be available.. otherwise help will not be so available as it's a unknown recipe..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

No nutrients, SG so high that off flavours are almost unavoidable. Use of turbo yeast.

Stay off turbos, head to Tried and True like StillerBoy says.

If you're after neutral for refluxing, try Shady's Sugar Shine. Or Teddysad's Fast Fermenting Vodka from here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56998

For a light whiskey, pot-stilling the FFV recipe is nice, as is Deathwish Wheat Germ.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

In a word? Everything...

You will make alcohol...and that's about it.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm 4 gallons water....

......This would be ran in a 10 gallon pot still
Rot-gut turbo piss passed through a single run which will bring out all of its worst qualities. Make more of something better.
Strip it, then do a proper spirit run and make good cuts.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Water it down to like 1.090, add some nutrients, use bread/wine/beer yeast instead of turbo yeast, do a stripping run or 4 to collect low wine's and run the low wines to get your final spirit.
Last edited by tombombadil on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

tombombadil wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:37 pm Water it down to like 1.090, add some nutrients, use bread/wine/beer yeast instead of turbo yeast, do a stripping run or 4 and run it again.
What advise is this... Is this the advise you provide to new comers.. hope not...

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:49 pm
tombombadil wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:37 pm Water it down to like 1.090, add some nutrients, use bread/wine/beer yeast instead of turbo yeast, do a stripping run or 4 and run it again.
What advise is this... Is this the advise you provide to new comers.. hope not...

Mars
Why not?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Seems to me you have just plucked ideas out of thin air without any real thought at all,,,,,,why not use a tried and tested recipe until you have some idea what you are doing.
MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm heat to 165 and dissolve all sugars in the Stainless steel pot. Stirring constantly for at least 10 minutes to kill any bacteria that may be present.
Where is this bacteria coming from that needs to be boiled ? Who else does this and why? This is the second time in as many weeks Ive seen this stated, yet Ive never seen it said on a forum before? Where does the idea come from?
MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm adjust to between 4.5 and 5.0 using Apple cider vinegar
And this idea ?
MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm toss in about 4 tablespoons you Turbo Whiskey yeast.
Turbo is a bad idea to begin with, might I ask why you want to use a whisky yeast in a sugar wash that contains Brown sugar? Your not making Whisky or anything like it.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

You are asking what could go wrong and according to one of your previous posts
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p7620896
A lot could go wrong.
You also seem to be following information about methods and recipes from the “net” and not this forum.
You can and will find much information outside this forum that will lead you astray.
This site is the best resource any distiller, home or pro has.
If you spend some time just doing some research here all your questions will be answered and a bunch of answers to questions you did not even think of.
Fix your still so that it is safe and start off with some of the easier tried and true recipes if you actually want to be successful in this hobby.
As you gain experience and knowledge you will then be able to create recipes that you know will be successful before you even start them.

Good Luck
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

After posting above I felt I did not ask you the question that should have been asked to help you.
What do you like to drink and want to make.
Give us that answer and we will point you in the right direction to make something you can be proud of

:thumbup:
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

It's a george special! :sick:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Thebigbrewbowski »

Sounds like the sugar wash out of "the joy of home distilling"

I followed the attached for my first run but used rum turbo yeast and for a first time it was a good experience. I cant say it tasted horrible but the similar ujssm using regular bread yeast is alot tastier. You dont need turbo yeast, I wont even touch that topic here it makes people hot and bothered lol. Run it and see how you like it, save some and then follow a tried and true recipe and compare. I think thats a good learning lesson instead of just saying "dont do it". "Learn from the past, dont dwell on it"[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202007 ... 96b3c9.jpg[/IMG]
MX450
Novice

Post by MX450 »

Saltbush Bill, to answer your questions.

1.)partially true, I don't know what I am doing but I was looking at the Still Spirit Whiskey yeast ( 2.2 kg/92 gallon) since my actual Turbo yeast was sent to another state, I wanted to use this yeast instead. I have this yeast here now. From what Ive read and been told here seems to push me towards equipment that I don't have.( Leibig or Reflux) so Im running what Ive made so far.Like I said, I'm new and have very minimal knowledge. So far A 10 gallon pot still with 10ft. copper( want to leave room for a thumper/doubler down the road) to a 5 coil worm in a 5 gallon bucket.

2.)here under the rum section
https://www.moonshinestillpro.com/Moons ... s-s/14.htm

3.)Here at 3.00 minute mark on, the Apple cider vinegar is because the initial PH of my tap water in 8.7 so 3 full lemons dropped it to 6.1 so the only citric thing I have is Apple cider vinegar and I figured since the boiling point is 213 that I wouldnt get any in my run as Im cut flame off at about 206 deg and continue to make cuts.

4.) Not really sure that this Still Spirit Whiskey yeast Made in Aukland,NZ is a turbo or not but the seller told me it was so me being New, I have nothing to prove him wrong. The reason I want to use the brown sugar is because I have several lbs of it as well at several lbs of white sugar. If the yeast I have is Turbo then I dont need anything else as the yeast should already have the nutrients that I need with the yeast, right? Im not using a DADY type yeast so I dont need Nutes... My thinking anyway.

Question.... What would I actually ferment? The still Spirit website gives very little information.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Expat wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 pm It's a george special! :sick:
MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:26 pm
Ding Ding Ding Winner! :lol: :crazy:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:26 pm Question.... What would I actually ferment? The still Spirit website gives very little information.
Now let's see.. could it be alcohol.. bingo..

Mars

Good call Expat

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I feared you might be right and you where Expat. Bloody George again :(
MX50 watching that You tube blokes examples and ideas will lead you into more trouble than you can imagine. Do your self a favour and forget he exists.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Just reading your original post. With 4 gallons of water and 16 pounds of sugar how do you get a starting gravity of 1.132? I get closer to 1.184 giving a potential of a 24% starting ABV if it somehow fermented down to 1.000 for a finish gravity. Sugar has a PPG of .046 points per pound of sugar in a gallon of water and you have 4 times that. Most sugar washes that have decent flavor are typically done at a maximum of 1.75 pounds of sugar per gallon of water giving a starting gravity of about 1.080. This will give a potential of 10.5 % starting ABV if fermented to 1.000. That is why it was recommended to water down the wash a bit. You have a 10 gallon pot still so cut the sugar down in that wash and make 2 buckets of wash. If you do it in 5 gallon buckets use 4 gallons of water and 6 pounds of sugar. If you want to use your turbo go ahead but bakers yeast is so much less expensive and works well. Add some nutrients to the bakers yeast and you will be much happier with the finished product. I would imagine your original recipe would be something
close to solvent tasting.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm I have a question. Im thinking about making my first Wash and want to get your opinion on what will happen if the following ingredients are combined for the wash.

6 lbs. dark brown sugar
10lbs. Whits table sugar
4 gallons water.
What would happen is there's way to much sugar.
Even turbo yeast can't handle that much.

Here's my favorite sugar wash recipe
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=70585
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Expat wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 pm It's a george special! :sick:
First Prize.png

I am biting my lip & sitting this one out.
Everything that needed to be written has been.
MX450
Novice

Post by MX450 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm I feared you might be right and you where Expat. Bloody George again :(
MX50 watching that You tube blokes excamples and ideas will lead you into more trouble than you can imagine. Do your self a favour and forget he exists.
Done!!
MX450
Novice

Post by MX450 »

corene1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 pm Just reading your original post. With 4 gallons of water and 16 pounds of sugar how do you get a starting gravity of 1.132? I get closer to 1.184 giving a potential of a 24% starting ABV if it somehow fermented down to 1.000 for a finish gravity. Sugar has a PPG of .046 points per pound of sugar in a gallon of water and you have 4 times that. Most sugar washes that have decent flavor are typically done at a maximum of 1.75 pounds of sugar per gallon of water giving a starting gravity of about 1.080. This will give a potential of 10.5 % starting ABV if fermented to 1.000. That is why it was recommended to water down the wash a bit. You have a 10 gallon pot still so cut the sugar down in that wash and make 2 buckets of wash. If you do it in 5 gallon buckets use 4 gallons of water and 6 pounds of sugar. If you want to use your turbo go ahead but bakers yeast is so much less expensive and works well. Add some nutrients to the bakers yeast and you will be much happier with the finished product. I would imagine your original recipe would be something
close to solvent tasting.

using George 1lb sugar/1 gallon water in an SG of 1.039 ( now know its wrong) its 1.046

so .039x 16 lbs sugar = .624 \ 4 gallons of water = .156 x 131.25 = 20.475

NEW MATH

.046 x 16= .736\4 =.184x131.25 = 24.15

PH of mt tap water is 8.76, I used 3 full lemons juice and enough Apple cider vinegar to drop the PH to 4.75.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MX450 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:50 pm
PH of mt tap water is 8.76, I used 3 full lemons juice and enough Apple cider vinegar to drop the PH to 4.75.
I wouldn't recommend adding anything acidic to lower the waters pH.
Fermentation will take care of that.
I would recommend a mesh bag full of crushed oyster shell and coral.
That might help the yeast survive for a little while, before stalling due excess sugar.

Here's what I think,
Your having too much fun throwing the ball into the tall grass and watching us scramble for it.
So I'm going to go play somewhere else and leave you alone with your lost ball. :wave:
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

using George 1lb sugar/1 gallon water in an SG of 1.039 ( now know its wrong) its 1.046

NEW MATH

Why do you keep insisting about going down this path when several people have pointed you to the excellent, TRIED AND PROVED TO WORK recipes in the Tried and True section?

Rather than tweak your own recipe, please please please head over to the Tried and True section and start there. Do a wash from that section following the instructions EXACTLY. When you've got at least one successful run under your belt, come back and ask for help tweaking things. As has been pointed to you in your other thread, there's hardly anything simpler than Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash, and it will give you a really tasty product.

Seriously, toss away the Turbo and any preconceptions you have from watching YouTube:
TDick wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:29 pm The corn flake TRIED & TRUE recipe was created by @Odin because he can't get quality corn in Europe.
I believe you are in Texas where corn is plentiful and a whole lot cheaper than breakfast cereal.
If you want to stay with corn & sugar, probably the most run/most successful mash is Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash Method.
It's been around 15 years. Somewhere in that thread is a solution to any and every problem you could possible encounter.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
MX450
Novice

Post by MX450 »

MartinCash wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:08 pm

NEW MATH

Why do you keep insisting about going down this path when several people have pointed you to the excellent, TRIED AND PROVED TO WORK recipes in the Tried and True section?

Rather than tweak your own recipe, please please please head over to the Tried and True section and start there. Do a wash from that section following the instructions EXACTLY. When you've got at least one successful run under your belt, come back and ask for help tweaking things. As has been pointed to you in your other thread, there's hardly anything simpler than Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash, and it will give you a really tasty product.

Seriously, toss away the Turbo and any preconceptions you have from watching YouTube:
TDick wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:29 pm The corn flake TRIED & TRUE recipe was created by @Odin because he can't get quality corn in Europe.
I believe you are in Texas where corn is plentiful and a whole lot cheaper than breakfast cereal.
If you want to stay with corn & sugar, probably the most run/most successful mash is Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash Method.
It's been around 15 years. Somewhere in that thread is a solution to any and every problem you could possible encounter.
Thanks... I was merely answering a post. Im not tweaking this but merely showing the OP that I reworked the math. Im here to learn... So far everyone has been super helpful. ive already answered most of the questions asked of me. Im just trying to figure out the right way to proceed. Thanks MX
MX450
Novice

Post by MX450 »

shadylane wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:23 pm
That might help the yeast survive for a little while, before stalling due excess sugar.

Here's what I think,
Your having too much fun throwing the ball into the tall grass and watching us scramble for it.
So I'm going to go play somewhere else and leave you alone with your lost ball. :wave:
Not having fun here...im not "throwing balls into tall grass"
Thanks for the advice though.
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Post by Thebigbrewbowski »

MX450 wrote:

Here's what I think,
Some people think you have to do everything their way, how boring life would be if we all did the same things the same ways. Most people learn more from their own experience then from others advice.

Like I said above, experiment and see where it gets you, its all part of learning. I dont recall my turbo rum wash being a flop I know my family and I all enjoyed it, as shallow as our inexperienced alcohol pallets may be. The more I engage in this hobby the more I learn. This site is great for information and feedback, sometimes the feedback is very narrow minded and sometimes thats for good reason, don't let it bother you.
MX450
Novice

Post by MX450 »

Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:49 pm
MX450 wrote:

Here's what I think,
Some people think you have to do everything their way, how boring life would be if we all did the same things the same ways. Most people learn more from their own experience then from others advice.

Like I said above, experiment and see where it gets you, its all part of learning. I dont recall my turbo rum wash being a flop I know my family and I all enjoyed it, as shallow as our inexperienced alcohol pallets may be. The more I engage in this hobby the more I learn. This site is great for information and feedback, sometimes the feedback is very narrow minded and sometimes thats for good reason, don't let it bother you.

Will do thanks
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Nothing wrong with doing things differently or experimenting. Thing is you need a base to work from first. That is the tried and true recipes as well as standard fermenting and distilling procedures. Once you have a base then you have something to compare you modified versions to. Just my thoughts though.