DADY yeast ?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

DADY yeast ?

Post by Sailman »

I just finished Generation 4 of a sweet feed and I used dady yeast and I have a question. I got to thinking it would be a waste to let all of the yeast in the bottom of the carboy go to waste so I decided to pour into a pint mason jar. I've never tried to save any yeast before and I have no Goodway I'm just collecting the yeast cells so will this work if I put it in the refrigerator? Also is there any good reason to keep it? I've got plenty of yeast on hand I just did this on a whim.
IMG_20200815_093547.jpg
smokeybowls
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: DADY yeast ?

Post by smokeybowls »

I'm new so I have no idea but I do like to help when I can . I found this thread might help you .

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=43164
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Thanks for the link it looks very interesting maybe I'll read up on this a little further later. Keeping the yeast was an afterthought anyway because I just usually repitch with new unless I'm doing a generational spirit.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I often harvest my yeast and keep in the fridge and it works fine. Just rehydrate and bring up to room temperature before pitching. And for goodness sake don't completely seal the jar in case the jar explodes!!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

If yeast is difficult to obtain or you have a specific strain you are developing, then I would say sure, save it. I order my whiskey/rum yeast for about $15 a pound delivered and at 15 grams per ferment ..... it lasts a long time.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Don’t keep the lid on tight or you could open the fridge one day to a bottle bomb.

I’ll save first gen yeast and wash it in clean water / chill / settle/ decant / wash / chill / settle / decant for 3 or four iterations then store in the fridge in a wine bottle. Use maybe 1/4 cup in a starter for next batch.

Particularly with more expensive ale yeasts that might cost $5/packet makes it more worthwhile.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Google washing yeast. I do it often
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Thanks Guy's
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

George has a video showing how to consecutively wash yeast for pitching. Imagine that...something useful from him.

But, I’m not advocating to watch George’s videos...unless for their comedic value.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K