yeast for rum?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

david

yeast for rum?

Post by david »

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to make a rum close to the "real one" and i'd like to have ur opinion about the best yeast to use (similar to the one used to make rum in Haïti for ex. ).

- lallemand 10118 (wine yeast)?
- Cooper's beer yeast?
- bakery yeast?

The original gravity won't be very high (1060.0) and will try to use 100% molasse wash.

Some advise?

Tnx!

David
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

sure

Post by Uncle Jesse »

any of them will work just fine, but i would go for the beer yeast personally, unless you push your specific gravity further in which case the wine yeast will work nicely.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I like distillers yeast in rum
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

distillers yeast is best if you can get it.

white labs sells a tennessee style yeast at times, and they have a "high alcohol" yeast with a silver label.

did you guys know that they sell their yeast in un-expanded 2-liter bottles? that's how they are shipped before being blown out to the size we recognize. i hear they are bullet proof...
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
davidOne more question...

Post by davidOne more question... »

Tnx u everyone for the the advice. One more question : does molasse wash foams a lot (like malt mash)?

Tnx again!
david 2

Oups...

Post by david 2 »

My last question wasn't vry clear...

Does molasse wash foam a lot "during distillation" when i'll be using my still, not during fermentation...

Tnx again!
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

It foams like an SOB and I speak form having it boil over on me. :evil:
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook

Post by Guest »

bakers 8lb sugar 5 lb blackstrap 1 oz citric i gal h2o simmer 20 minutes . dilute to 5 gal . age on charred oak 2 wek any type oak split to fit jug and burnt black with flame. divine.
Ethan

Re: Oups...

Post by Ethan »

david 2 wrote:My last question wasn't vry clear...

Does molasse wash foam a lot "during distillation" when i'll be using my still, not during fermentation...

Tnx again!
I have let some of my washes go for 3 weeks. The wash tastes incredibly dry (no hint of sweetness) at the end and it tends to foam less than washes with less fermentation.

I have a 20L boiler and it runs fine with about 6 or 7cm of headspace and about 1450W through the element. Wash is typically 4kg of sugar and 2kg of molasses.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: yeast for rum?

Post by nuntius01 »

i use bakers yeast. personal preference. and yes it foams crazy
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917