Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by FullySilenced »

I was able to get a photo of your vibratory ageing device... Didn't know it aged the drink as you drank it...

I guess you could also call it a strap-on, but like, on your face? Hmm. Available at The Screaming O for $13.95
Attachments
Bushy-rapid ageing booze mustache .jpg
Bushy-rapid ageing booze mustache .jpg (13.81 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

FullySilenced wrote:... and even in a few cases, some people just say putting the spirits in a barrel and leaving it for a few years works in a fashion...

FS
:crazy:

I can accept guys putting hooch in the microwave, so long as it dosnt lead to putting important things in there, like bacon! :mrgreen:
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
jrome
Novice

Post by jrome »

FullySilenced wrote: I guess you could also call it a strap-on, but like, on your face? Hmm. Available at The Screaming O for $13.95
It ages your whisky while you sip, it makes you look cool and it pleasures the ladies.

The best swiss army knife I've ever seen! :D
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

You can use those types of things for aging ?!?!?!

man, I could probably treat a good couple of gallons at a time - but the wife may ask questions :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

Anyone blown themselves up yet??? Ah I remember the days when poor ol' Full Service :wink: got told his proven method would mushroom cloud all the people who tried it ...

As for boiling - dunno - there may be a safety issue, but it may be negated as even a high ABV (lets say 80%) failing jar would immediately dilute to a very low ABV with a well supervised boiling and the water volume of the boiling pot. I would ASSUME that it is doable, and safe due to the built in dilution, but I have not tested this AT ALL. Even with boiling water (around 200+ 'F) would quickly evaporate the likker, I would ASSUME that the ABV of the vapor would be low.

Then again, those mason jars are made for this. I would only suggest using new ones ... just in case, but even then I am guessing
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
jrome
Novice

Post by jrome »

Doogie wrote:You can use those types of things for aging ?!?!?!

man, I could probably treat a good couple of gallons at a time - but the wife may ask questions :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:
I think I'll stick to the microwave... If the wife came home and there were a bunch of dildos vibrating in my hooch to age it, the judge'd give her everything in the divorce (including the still and dildos).
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

yours has "a bunch" of those things??? :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

After contemplating the moustache and its potential to really improve the character of typical white dog mixed with a little wood...

After much thought and deliberation, I want to nominate a name for it and possibly call the method

"Bushy's Original Handlebar Ageing"

If anyone can think of a better name please throw it out there.. Heck the process prolly deserves it's own thread...
Last edited by FullySilenced on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

+1 on bushy's
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Bushy's Ultrasonic Dildos, eh? Baby, let's get a buzz on.
It's a little less mainstream than the jewelery cleaners.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

jrome wrote:

I think I'll stick to the microwave... If the wife came home and there were a bunch of dildos vibrating in my hooch to age it, the judge'd give her everything in the divorce (including the still and dildos).
Or there might be one missing from the dildo hooch jar when you get home....
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

The jar'll keep them sterile and tasty.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

heartcut wrote:The jar'll keep them sterile and tasty.
Well, for safety, make sure to cut the ABV to around ... dunno ... 30%?
Would hate to have the wife take one from the process that was being used on 95% and forget to rinse it off ...

Think of safety ... :P

RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Doogie wrote:
heartcut wrote:The jar'll keep them sterile and tasty.
Well, for safety, make sure to cut the ABV to around ... dunno ... 30%?
Would hate to have the wife take one from the process that was being used on 95% and forget to rinse it off ...

Think of safety ... :P
I hear that's what the kids are doing these days, haha.....

Call me old fashioned, but I like drinking my liquor with my mouth.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

That is old fashioned. I nowadays consume it through my eye balls!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Odin wrote:That is old fashioned. I nowadays consume it through my eye balls!

Odin.
Did you say balls? Who wants to try first? Might feel refreshing...

:shifty:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Jimbo wrote:
jrome wrote:

Or there might be one missing from the dildo hooch jar when you get home....
geez, a girl could chip a tooth
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Someone Post some new NUKING RECIPES PLEASE! Let get the thread back on topic.... Dang Bushman and his vibratory ageing...made me get it off topic..

:D
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Ok, here's something I've been noticing. You want to get it hot enough to really take effect, but watch it. Tonight, I pushed it 15 seconds too long, and it boiled out 1/8 pint out of my quart of all grain. Ugg. I still licked the damn puddle off the rotating plate.

What? I know you've done it, too. Don't act like you ain't licked the counter after spilling some of your finest. :roll:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I've noticed that the slight drop in abv seems to take the bite out of the sugar washes pretty nicely in just a round or two, any one else?
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I think I went a little overboard with my last batch. It was 8 quart jars filled about 3/4 full with about a half cup of JD BBQ chips straight from the bag. I nuked 3 times allowing it to cool to room temp and then aired it over night before the next cycle. Each time I nuked, it came to a slight boil - not enough to overflow the jar, but very hot. It's been aging in glass (without the chips) for just under 2 months. I pulled 24oz a couple of days ago and diluted to 50%. It has a strong wood taste - not terrible, but not my best by any means.

Lesson learned I guess. Next time I'll try 2 cycles and shorter airing time - less time on the wood. And, maybe decrease the power level a little too.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to tone down the wood taste? I was thinking of maybe adding a touch of caramelized sugar and maybe a vanilla bean and let it sit for another month or so.

Edit: It's a pot stilled SF whiskey.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Ok, here's something I've been noticing. You want to get it hot enough to really take effect, but watch it. Tonight, I pushed it 15 seconds too long, and it boiled out 1/8 pint out of my quart of all grain. Ugg. I still licked the damn puddle off the rotating plate.

What? I know you've done it, too. Don't act like you ain't licked the counter after spilling some of your finest. :roll:
In the mornin, I've put a jar lid over a glass I went to sleep beside to keep it till the next night.
Have noticed that nuke aging really adds to the taste and smoothness of whiskey piggybacks. Have had friends with good taste in whiskey ID some "Bourbon" pigyback as an AG, though they did like the AG even better. Love it.
First time to an AG, got enough nerve to do a nuke round to start off some mixed grain whiskey, seems to be coming around faster than ambient aged. Will report through a slight alcohol haze when it's ready.
heartcut

W. H. Auden
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SoMo wrote:I've noticed that the slight drop in abv seems to take the bite out of the sugar washes pretty nicely in just a round or two, any one else?
I've seen that just nuking white dog 3 cycles and then setting it back to age if I wasn't going to flavor it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I think I went a little overboard with my last batch. It was 8 quart jars filled about 3/4 full with about a half cup of JD BBQ chips straight from the bag. I nuked 3 times allowing it to cool to room temp and then aired it over night before the next cycle. Each time I nuked, it came to a slight boil - not enough to overflow the jar, but very hot. It's been aging in glass (without the chips) for just under 2 months. I pulled 24oz a couple of days ago and diluted to 50%. It has a strong wood taste - not terrible, but not my best by any means.

Lesson learned I guess. Next time I'll try 2 cycles and shorter airing time - less time on the wood. And, maybe decrease the power level a little too.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to tone down the wood taste? I was thinking of maybe adding a touch of caramelized sugar and maybe a vanilla bean and let it sit for another month or so.

Edit: It's a pot stilled SF whiskey.
i found the same thing with JD chips, wayyy to strong. i took them out and about 3 weeks later it toned down quite a bit, and the longer it sits the easier it is to drink.
i found i don't really like the JD flavour, so it's easy to leave this one alone :lol: but it's def better with time.
i've found medium french oak form the wine store to be a favorite and ex-bourbon barrel is awesome too, but the bourbon flavour is really delicate, it loses a lot of intensity after being bottled in a week or two and ice really thins it out.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

HDNB, thanks for the response. I'll let it sit a while longer and try it again. I was fairly happy with the chips the first few times I tried this method. I don't know what I was thinking - letting it sit on the chips for so long. Like I said, lesson learned.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

You got to remember chips have a huge surface area... and being thin they transfer the flavor faster and maybe more completely the first time they are used...

I have mostly been nuking quarts at 55 to 65 abv with one to two ounces of chips by volume.. two cycles then i leave the chips in and put it in the back shelf for a month or two... sneak sips to check flavors seems to just get smoother with time... cut it back to 40-42 abv to drink it and ... :thumbup:

Ya just gotta fine tune it for your own tastes...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Will microwaves go bad ? I had 4 quarts of aged white dog I wanted to nuke today . 75% sweet feed triple distilled and aged 3 months . Was pretty mellow as is . Stuck he first quart in wave for 4 min and it came out with a slight boil . Capped it and stuck the second quart in for 4 min and it was hot , but no boil . Left the wave alone for 2 hrs and put the 3rd quart in for 4 min . Reasonable boil and I capped it . #4 was the same as #2 .Hot , but no boil .
?Time to replace the wave ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

TB, I don't know much about the workings of microwave ovens, but that same thing happens with mine. I started leaving the door open for a few minutes after each nuking and that seems to resolve the problem. I guess it needs to cool down a bit between uses. I don't think there's anything actually wrong with your microwave.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

They do wear out... and quit working... so would start by giving it a little rest tween nukins...

Booze is not hurting it unless your wrapping the booze in tin foil...or something under it like a metal pan... or bowl..

have fun and happy stillin...

FS
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

It gets drunk, nobody works good drunk.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Been givin it a rest . It was old when I started this hobby . Just wonderin if it needed retired to simply heating my coffee in the mornings . Let a younger pup pull the freight train .