oak chips aging confusion

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

oak chips aging confusion

Post by brewmaster2014 »

I'm sure this was covered,for some reason I cannot.find solid answer,as far as I understand,if whiskey.is aged on chips usually the contact time is only 2 weeks or so, than the liqueur is strained and bottled,my question is, how will it mellow out just by its own? Or can I live it on chips for say a year? If this was discussed I will appreciate link.cheers.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: oak chips aging confusion

Post by heartcut »

Char some chips or sticks and leave the whiskey on it till you think it's "there". I use 10-20 grams charred JD chips per quart for whiskey, but there's lots of different opinions about the right amount. If it tastes right to you, eh?
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Post by brewmaster2014 »

Cool thanks a lot
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I will add to this as oaking is part of the process and adds some color and flavor but airing is also a big part of the aging process. This is why many use barrels as it allows for some evaporation (called the angels share). Using chips in jars does improve things but for me I use a solera method where I start in 2 and 4 gallon mason jars with chips and a lid, then it is transfered to my 5 gallon barrels for further aging. Sometimes I kick start it with a US bath (ultra sonic).
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=24410
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

There are some good write ups here on the forums about aging, including aging experiments with different kinds of wood. A lot of different ways to do it with varying degrees of success.

I've been using the JD chips straight out of the bag. I use the nuclear (microwave) process as the initial part of the process and then age off the chips in gallon pickle jars with a natural cork stopper. Every couple of weeks I give them a good shake and remove the stopper for an hour or so. I leave it in the glass jars or at least 2 months and then draw and dilute each bottle from that stock as I need it. That said, the chips seem to give inconsistent results because of differences in chip size and grain orientation. I plan to start using toasted and charred oak sticks.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I just served up some AG bourbon I made back in April that sat on three 1" x 4"sticks I split from 1JD Smoking Blocks straight out of the bag. I stored it in my attic with the cap on and fully diluted (80proof). Everyone raved about it.

The point is, you can do it a hundred different ways: on wood, off wood, cap on, cap off, 125proof or 80 proof. Try it a variety of ways but keep specific notes so you can replicate the results.
Those who stay...
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Post by brewmaster2014 »

As usual lots of good advice fellas,thank you very much.
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

At one time I aged in a 4gal glass jar Medium toast with a coffee filter over the top so it can breath. I took pics every day of the progress as it aged until it was all a uniform color. I used less oak and aged longer than some do. I let it sit for close to a year tasting once a month and time makes a big difference!! I think the pics are on here somewhere but that was a several years ago.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

squeezins wrote:At one time I aged in a 4gal glass jar Medium toast with a coffee filter over the top so it can breath. I took pics every day of the progress as it aged until it was all a uniform color. I used less oak and aged longer than some do. I let it sit for close to a year tasting once a month and time makes a big difference!! I think the pics are on here somewhere but that was a several years ago.

I would love to see those pics, as im sure others hear would too :wink:
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

They should be on this forum somewhere. I'll look on my computer and see if I can dig them up.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.