Got a Friend a Gift

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joblack83
Novice

Got a Friend a Gift

Post by joblack83 »

Hello All,

I joined this group mostly because I want to know about aging liquor...or rather enough to make sure I got our friend the right gift. His favorite liquor is Gentleman Jack, so we bought him a bottle of that and then we got him a wooden whiskey dispenser barrel thing from JcPenney's. I did some research on it the night before but when we brought it home and looked inside the barrel with my husband's flexible flashlight, the inside is lined with this white material, probably plastic. When I was attempting the research I know it said you couldn't simply age a bottle of whiskey in the bottle because the glass won't react or something. From what I understood an oak barrel ages the liquor because it allows oxygen to interact with the liquor. I'm a bit confused because I thought that it would just turn the liquor to syrup.

So basically, do I need to get the man a different type of barrel? Or are all barrels lined with something? I'd really be extremely grateful for clarification or pointers. Thanks!
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Got a Friend a Gift

Post by HDNB »

well, you are basically making oak tea or syrup. It's not only oxidation and evaporation of nasties we look for in wood, it is also the addition of wood sugars that add caramel flavour, tannins tart things up a bit and vanillins give a nice nose and smooth the mouthfeel. charred barrels give a more robust color and also give over a hint of smoke.
obviously you don't get these things from plastic or glass. In fact, plastic is not recommended at all as alcohol is a powerful solvent and who knows what type of plastic they have used.
there are small, unlined, charred oak barrels on ebay. maybe you can find something there.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I think it is likely the white stuff in the barrel is wax.

Geoff
The Baker
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

The Baker wrote:I think it is likely the white stuff in the barrel is wax.

Geoff
Unless it's one of these :
01010_1n9CKSFMUgc_600x450.jpg
00707_7MRb6WAguCU_600x450.jpg
Plastic bladder inside - totaly worthless for aging spirits

OVZ
joblack83
Novice

Post by joblack83 »

Unfortunately it is like the one in the picture except is has Heritage Collection stamped on the front. Thanks everyone for the replies.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Oldvine Zin said, 'Plastic bladder inside - totally worthless for ageing spirits '.

I would never have believed that!!

Geoff
The Baker