sweet tea vodka

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweet tea vodka

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I saw Sweet Tea Moonshine in a Likker Store in Lafayette, Louisiana a week or so ago. I didn't buy any, I was in there to pick up some DIXIE beer, but I am going to try this soon. Going to do the Sun tea thing.
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

I use hot tea bags. I've used Lipton for green and black teas and then I use Stash teas (what I sell at my Deli) for things like Earl Grey, Chai Spice and Jasmine Green Tea. Maybe all the "Sweet Tea" posters should have a summit and come up with a recipe for the tried and true, ha!
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I was thinking of trying this with Constant Comment an orange spiced tea blend...
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

I haven't had a complaint with any kind I've used. We have had it straight, mixed with lemonade and soda and it's always good!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

FullySilenced wrote:I was thinking of trying this with Constant Comment an orange spiced tea blend...
Just tried this in a quart of white sweet feed, 3 bags constant comment tea. Seeped for two hours, color and smell is great! Tried a taste very good, orange carries over nicely. Did not add any suger but will taste tommorow and decide. This is a keeper! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

:mrgreen:
I searched "Sweet Tea" and ended up here.
Maybe it will revive the topic.
What I am interested in however, is a little different.

I live in the Deep South and our sweet tea is SWEET!
My sister came to visit and brought a gallon of commercial sweet tea, as usual rich and sweet.
We forgot to put it in the fridge so it's been sitting on the kitchen counter for about 4-5 days now.
And I believe it's beginning to "turn".
So I'm wondering if anyone has tried fermenting and brewing up some tea?
I have a small pot still so I wouldn't lose all the flavor (I don't think.)
:mrgreen:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Kombucha is a fermented tea, though it's fermented by a particular mix of microbes that you likely didn't have wafting around your kitchen unless you already brew kombucha. It's typically very low alcohol though, .5-2% max.

There is a commercial kombucha manufacturer that runs all their kombucha through a vacuum still and makes a variety of liquors from the distillate.

So I guess that's to say it's been done. I honestly doubt that much flavor would come over from a typical southern sweet tea, and what does surely won't taste like the 99% sugar solution we call tea!
seasider62
Novice

Post by seasider62 »

Haven't posted lately but this one caught my eye. I use Southern Breeze sweet tea , pre sweeten. Use 2 large bags in 1.75 ml bottle mixed with 65 proof sweet feed. Let set for 3 weeks in cool place. Make a great sipper over crushed ice.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Starting to see apple pie recipes popping up and it got me to thinking how popular sweet tea vodka was a few years ago. I thought I would revive one of the sweet tea threads and see if anyone is still making it. I know I haven’t in at least 5 years.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Thanks for ther bump. I forgot all about this stuff, and now I actually have true vodka. Looks like something to whip up!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Making an Arnold Palmer with this sure sounds like it would taste good on a hot day (none of those around these parts anytime soon). I just made some neutral so I think I’ll whip up a jar of this now and save it for a sunny day. From reading the thread, I think I’ll start with less sugar and see where it goes.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels