Store Bought Flavoring- Whats hot & whats not

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

puig
Novice

Re: Store Bought Flavoring- Whats hot & whats not

Post by puig »

Rad i totaly agree ive followed this forum for the last few years and its been a bundle of infomation , ive made my dad several rums which ive made using molasses only ive taking all the correct cuts etc etc but he finds it too smooth :esurprised: hes not a sipper more of a mixer when it comes to his rum and coke.
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

My Brew Store recommends that a Schnapps Base is added to a SS Melon essence to make Midori. Is this necessary or is the store just trying to sell me something that I don't need.
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

Just the job and as a bonus Honeydew Melons only cost £1.00, top man thanks Dnder.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you also can git melon syrup if you want a easy way out.
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

I've just done a search about different kinds of syrups and I can get a 700ml bottle of melon for £8.10 and Still Spirits Melon Essence is £2.90 for 50ml.
Are Still Spirit Lequeur Essences just syrups.

Edited: Still Spirit Liqueur Essences are concentrated flavourings unlike syrups, but I think you can a lot more produce by using syrups.

Thanks again Dnderhead
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

Just a little update.
I used Still Spirits essences and the following is what i found.

SS Kentucky Bourbon, has a slight caramel taste to it, but very nice indeed will definately get this again 5/5

SS Melon Liqueur (Midori) is a real nice freshing drink especially with Ice cold soda water 4/5

SS Blue Curucao, it tasted like Cointreau with a slight orange flavour 3/5

SS Coconut Rum, nice with chilled pineapple juice 4/5

Rather than use the recommended Base Packs i used the alternative and cheaper method of using sugar and Liquid Glucose to sweeten.

Looking forward to be trying more flavours.
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

I know it's been a few months since anyone posted on this thread, but I wanted to chime in and say that the SS Aussie Gold is pretty good if you're trying to leave your aging stock alone. It says to use one bottle for three 750ml bottles of neutral, but I split it into four bottles with fantastic results. I also got a bottle of the SS Absinthe, but I've yet to try it and give an opinion on it.
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
seize the bottle
Novice

Post by seize the bottle »

The other day I was comparing store bought bourbon (37.5%) with mixed bourbon (45%.) I am sad to say that the store bought tasted better. But after a few sips I started to realize that what was missing from the mix was tails. My vodka was too pure. :) So I put in a bit of the tails and it greatly improved the taste of the mixed bourbon.

Eventually I ran out of bourbon (and rum and vodka) so I ran the still last weekend.

As I separate my rectifying run in 330ml bottles I thought I would try a different mix approach. Instead of using hearts to mix; therefore bourbon I used the first tail cut to mix the bourbon, and for the rum I used the last head cut.

It worked very well.
Enjoying the Tried and True recipes ...
Hunny_Gurl
Novice

Post by Hunny_Gurl »

SS Citrus Vodka - 4/5 love it. Taste like lemonade Popsicle
'Still Spirits' Melon Liqueur - 5/5 (My favourite) ice cubes and lemonade
Aussie Gold Rum - 5/5
Vodka - 1/5 dont wast your money
Icon Liqueur Coconut Rum - 5/5 YUMMY with orange juice and ice cubes
Icon Liqueur Herbal Liqueur - 3/5 taste more like Sambuca then Jaga
SS White rum - 2/5
Still Spirits Classic 1lt Gin - Im not a huge fan of Gin, but this taste like the commercial gin. 1/5 cause im not a fan. But gin drinkers 4/5
SS Brandy - 0/5 YUCKY
Kentucky Bourbon - I love my bourbon and this stuff is crap. 1/5
SS Butterscotch - 4/5 a nice shot
SS Coconut rum - taste like the real coconut. 3/5 maybe a 4

Hope that helps.
peteturbo
Novice

Post by peteturbo »

just trying some prestige dry gin essence. seems pretty good, but i am sure that having come this far, i am going to be better off doing my own gin stuff.
anyhow, to be fair, looks like prestige lived up to their very good reputation, but then, this is the first i have tried.
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

For those of you who have used Prestige brand flavourings, can you tell me which ones are OK, and which ones to avoid?

I have some neutral vodka to try to flavour, and the local brewshop only carries Prestige brand. If one or two of them are OK / recommended, I'll give them a try.

Thanks.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Prestige Pastis is great if you like Pernod/Ricard, though MUCH less sugar-sweetened than the recipe calls for. IMHO it's the ONLY flavouring clearly resembling (maybe tasting even better than) the original liquor.

One part finished liquor to 5 parts 7-Up or water over a load of ice. Yum!!!

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Thank you. I'll look into that one.
peteturbo
Novice

Post by peteturbo »

pernod and ricard are miles apart, so liking both leaves plenty of scope.
i have the absinthe, but nothing to put it in yet. i'll let you know.
Pete
peteturbo
Novice

Post by peteturbo »

i have now tried the prestige absinthe in a 65/70% spirit sugar wash.
wow. its great. A leverley vibrant green at full strength, no louche at all as you add water and ice, until you reach about parity and then the louche comes in beautifully.
tastes good too.
i havent drunk enough to comment on effect though.
Pete
friendly1uk
Novice

Re: essences

Post by friendly1uk »

revolt71 wrote:The pure brewers irish cream was sweet enough to give you teeth like an englishman..way 2 sweet
The English have some of the best teeth in the world. Better than countries that spend lots on making them look better, such as america. By quite a margin.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... SREE&gid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Let me guess... Your to vain to be from europe, and to ignorant for near by continents. To rude for canada, and generally talking bollox. I think I know where you are from.

Sorry to anyone I have offended, but I couldn't let that go unchecked. I have left room to get shot down, but I can't see me being wrong tbh.

Prestige is just soooo cheap. I'm paying about a third of what other brands are asking. I just had 6 bottles delivered for about £11 ($16). I got them as I wanted the chocolate and hazelnut one's to add tones too the expresso recipe that uses vanilla. Just to keep people licking there lips and trying to place what it is they like about it. The choc smells across the room just by opening it. Non of the others do. It sure aint weak.
peteturbo
Novice

Post by peteturbo »

Prestige absinthe;

Green fairy:
IMG01680-20131204-1715.jpg
Ice Fairy:
IMG01681-20131204-1715.jpg
Water fairy - note no louche yet
IMG01682-20131204-1716.jpg
Louche fairy
IMG01683-20131204-1716.jpg
Pete
McGyver
Novice

Post by McGyver »

Try this place. I use the Tenn bourbon and coconut rum oils!

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/essencia/2,1542.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bostash
Novice

Post by bostash »

Just made the Tennessee bourbon on some oak aged spirit and all I can say is yummy.
Attachments
rps20140111_153222.jpg
patience is a virtue
bostash
Novice

Post by bostash »

It was the liquor quik brand if you cannot read the label
patience is a virtue
Deezil
Swill Maker

Post by Deezil »

Ive used this all up, tasty stuff,

http://www.milehidistilling.com/top-she ... n-whiskey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Have some different brand coming now. I like how easy it is and how good it is.
Deezil
Swill Maker

Post by Deezil »

Looks like my new one is same as bostash has. Its good, drinking it now. But I think the other I had was a little better. Plus made 3x as much!
evanwiley
Novice

Post by evanwiley »

Anyone have any information on how to make these essences at home? I would like to make a Vodka and Gin essence.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

hllrsr wrote:If you're looking for gawdawful swill, try the Prestige Bourbon, I've never had a good tipple that smelled and tasted like sweet and sour peach liqour.
ATB
after reading (not enough) of this thread...i thought well others tried them why not.... i tried this prestige bourbon, it tastes like awful perfume! it's Black label brother the "scotch" is marginally less distasteful, but still ruined a good bottle of white. :sick:
this crap is so bad, i'm pouring it out for fear it will taint my boiler if i try to re run and clean it.

had to try...now i know.

never again.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RayZorbach
Novice

Post by RayZorbach »

Tried the Samuel Willard's Midori and used a sugar syrup rather than the glucose and whatnot. It tastes and smells the business. 5/5

I also tried the Samuel Willard's Tennessee bourbon... It was highly saccharine tasting with a strong artificial twang to it that lingered after the flavour had gone. I tried nuke aging 250mL in the microwave on some oak with some sultanas and the same with some dried apricots. The sultanas took the edge off the artificial twang after two nukes. The apricot did very little. I highly recommend the sultana nuke aging but definitely not the Samuel Willard's Tennessee bourbon. 2/5
JH1
Novice

Post by JH1 »

Just tried some SS Top Shelf - Scotch Whiskey in some UJSM aged in heavy toasted american oak chips.
I recommend this, smells & tastes genuine! Nice sweet honey notes w/very noticeable vanilla flavor.

UPDATE:

Tried this without any oak flavoring, and it changed the color nicely, but did not taste like much!
I put it in 65% abv though, and did not dilute to 40, so it may be because I did not properly follow directions this time.
However, I ran out now & cannot test it; I'll just be sticking with natural flavoring now :wink:
lawnman 2
Novice

Post by lawnman 2 »

can highly recommend still spirits malt whiskey black label for a really nice whiskey
and also enjoying still spirits honey bourbon...on par with the wild turkeys honey lequir bourbon very nice bit like lolly drink very sweet but goes down quite nice
jawjatek
Novice

Post by jawjatek »

Mixed some white UJSSM with some Monin White Peach syrup. Made a quite tasty, and expedient, peach flavored likker. Mixed a few pints up (1-1.5 oz per pint, or to taste) for the girls. Works for me.
Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smog »

Get a can of Maple syrup.

Mix 125ml ( 1/2 cup ) of maple syrup into 1 litre ( one quart) of 50% abv neutral and mix it well.

Enjoy this on ice ;-)
Shit I bought but shouldn't have :
1. Amazon 30L pot distiller
2. T-500 reflux column (good product but expensive)
3. Large 60L stock pot + 2" column

Now using 15.5gal KEG + 5500w electric + fully aircooled reflux condensor and product condenser.