Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by FullySilenced »

@Rick Martin... just try it nuking it is too simple not to give it a go...

water boiling does not set up vibrations in the liquid as nuking and Ultra Sonic's would do... so i think it is less effective in the short term...

happy stillin,

FS
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Since reading this thread I've been nuking everything. Lol

My rum is by far the best, I took a few raisins and a couple drops of vanilla and a 1/16 tsp of orange zest and 14 or so sq inches of med toast oak cubes. Added to a quart of bold rum. Did 1 cycle per day for 3 days and now it's at 1.5 months and holy crap it's good.
The rum is 125 proof/ 62.5%
Once cut to 90 proof it's gone way too quick, glad I read this thread and got my age on.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Forgot to mention, I just finished my first AG mash. Honey bear bourbon, I have 45 gals of mash to run and I plan on nuking some hearts for some fine sippin.
dubnluvn
Novice

Post by dubnluvn »

My experience:

Put 1 oz each medium toast and heavy toast oak chips in pint jar. Filled - leaving an inch of headspace - with 103 proof. Heated to 150 deg (appx 1:30 in microwave) sealed, shook gently and put in freezer to cool. Returned to room temp after about an hour. Repeated for 3 total heat/cool cycles. Separated the chips, filtered twice with a coffee filter and added 4 oz of untreated 103 proof. Dark reddish brown finish, somewhat transparent but not cloudy. Definitely oaky, smokey and sweet.

Good result as far as I'm concerned given the time taken for the process. I thought it had a little too much bite but my friend was thoroughly impressed. Will try it again, reusing the once used chips. Perhaps the flavor will be tempered a bit more.
"There's never time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to do it again"

"Anyone can do it....with tools"

"I'm only here for a good time, not a long time"
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've just finished my 3rd cycle of honey bear bourbon and I must say WOW!!!
I've done this for a year now and it has improved everything from white to oaked.
Rum
Brandy
Bourbon
This is proven to help and accelerate the aging process, it'sthe perfect way to start an aging process.

I keep oak on for as long as the bottle is available. I've found no reason to remove it unless it keeps me from sipping splinters. Lol

FS, man I'm glad for people like you who are not afraid of an experiment. Keep up the good work and thanks

Shine0n
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

I see some posts in this thread about higher proof alcohol heating much faster than expected.
This is because the specific heat capacity of ethanol(and most other organic liquids) is a little over half that of water.
Water takes nearly twice the energy to heat than the same weight of ethanol.
Once you factor in the lower SG of ethanol it takes even less energy to heat the same volume as water.

There are suggestions for using cling film to contain vapor in the head space which is a good idea, better if you push the film down below the level of the container to just above the liquid so that there is room for significant gas expansion before you lose the seal. I wouldn't trust the magnetron cathode without at least trying to contain the vapor, I used to make spud guns and the power of a reasonable volume of contained flammable gas is fairly impressive.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There is no way cling film is a sensible addition to nuking barrel proof likker. I would not trust any advice from anyone who suggested that.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Quite apart from the obvious plastics contamination just thing on what nuking is trying to achieve. You heat it to boil off lower bp alcohols and then want to include a mechanical way of preventing that, err ok .....
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

Flush the head space after stopping the microwave.
The polyethylene is not in contact with the liquid and I am not getting significant condensate during heating to 60 C, the film comes off when I stop the microwave.
Better than a potential explosive mix coming into contact with the magnetron IMO but up to you.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

@johnnyv i have nuked hundreds of batches with no issue... all told there have probably been 10,000 batches nuked on all the sites that have the method posted on it... so far that has not been even one reported issue..

Early in the thread a few guys put microwaves outside and boiled a few jars dry to see if they could make a fire or blow a microwave up... didn't happen...

I hope you keep trying the procedure and that it works well for you...

All you other NUKERS ...

happy stillin,

FS
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

I cover the jar with a dish towel. Soaks up the evaporated vapor. The microwave doesn't smell like alcohol and the towel allows the vapor to evaporate. IMHO
cyrilion
Novice

Post by cyrilion »

Just tried "Nuclear Oaking" 6 jars of 350 ml of 70% abv with American White oak(bought at a hobby shop so i'd have something to judge with), western maple, plum, cherry, and i also tried blackberry cane (one roasted at 360 for 2 hours with the rest and one raw). Saw this post after putting in about 20 1/2 inch cubes of each and leaving over night, caught it in time and left about 3 cubes in each and then mic'ed 3 times to 150 allowing for sealed cooling in between, Oak and cherry were excellent, plum was my uncles second favorite, western maple was weak and too woody, the blackberry canes impart notes of blackberry but less appealing flavours, wouldnt recommend, gonna try some leaves later though :) . will be cooking some of the maple, plum, and cherry at 400-500 to compare flavour and trying oaking at lower abv, cut some to 55% for my next test though i did really enjoy the woodsy flavours of the Oak. I don't know how this compares to traditional barrel aging but it certainly speeds up experimentation, Cant say i'd have been happy to spend six months or more to get that blackberry cane flavour :sick: , thanks for sharing FS :D
Wouter
Novice

Post by Wouter »

Very interesting technique! I am going to try this for my first distill :).
Seems like a great way to get a decent result and not quit the hobby out of impatience.
But scared of the stories of tanine though. But then again, a lot of people do not seem to report this.

Also wondering, has anyone tried this with commercial booze?
Let's say you take a cheap bottle of Jack Daniëls. And then just add a bunch of their chips. Wham bam, old Jacky Dee for free.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Wouter wrote:...has anyone tried this with commercial booze?...Let's say you take a cheap bottle of Jack Daniëls. And then just add a bunch of their chips...Wham bam, old Jacky Dee for free.
Naw, not something I'd do even if I had a couple of bottles setting in my cupboard. I'd put it into the low wines and redo a spirit run, making sure to cut all the heads that are in the "old No. 5". I wouldn't try to "trick" Jack Daniels to be something that it's not by re-finishing it. I'd redistill it and truely make it something else.

But, YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
blackmoor
Novice

Post by blackmoor »

I'm very intrested in trying this, but alas my options for getting the wood ships is limited. Ebay.uk find something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grill-BBQ-Rau ... SwfDhZhDOA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

What do you think of the price? It is 18 eur + 17 eur shipping, so 35 euros for 3 litres of wood. If I could sell my firewood for that price :D How many times could I use the same wood again, if I take the hit and order one bag of the JD wood?

What wood would make the single malt scotch taste, any luck in that department?

I have access to one year old pine, birch and some spruce/fir. But I don't have a chipper which could make the needed chips, of course with hand axe, when taking the time, it is possible...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

blackmoor, Here's a link you may find can save you that EU35 or at least most of it ! Bit of a discussion around those chips and other methods.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p7451860
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

blackmoor wrote:...one year old pine, birch and some spruce/fir. But I don't have a chipper...
Ya, I wouldn't recommend using any of those woods, especially the spruce or fir. They have resins in them that will make your liquor taste like shit! Pine and birch are both open celled woods so they don't function like oak.

But I have used aged fruit woods: peach, cherry, apple, and some nut woods: walnut and pecan. Make sure the woods are well seasoned. Experiment with each one to find the flavors you like the best. Pecan is a little buttery, so it would be nice in a rum. I also like the subtle sweetness up front that cherry wood imparts. Apple wood gives a slight "spicy" flavor and makes an interesting whiskey. Peach wood would be nice in a peach brandy too I'd suspect, although it was not my favorite for a whiskey (personal preferences tho).

And you don't need to "chip" the wood. Cutting into "dominoes" is better. Cut lengthwise along the grain, making a 1" x 1" x 4" domino...and toast it in the oven, then char it appropriately with a handheld propane torch. It'll make a fine (and fresh) whiskey for you.

Part of the "make it yourself" experience in making spirits would even include making your own aging wood sticks. Go for it...you'll be glad you did. And give the Jack Daniels distillery a big "piss off".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I use the JD BBQ chips, but don't get quite as badly ripped off as you do. Shop around.

My firewood man gave me the heart of a large round of oak that I have outside in the weather to take a slice off whenever I do another batch of toast. Give your locals a call.

Try your local cabinetmaker.

Ask at your local pub.
Last edited by NZChris on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Wouter wrote:Very interesting technique! I am going to try this for my first distill :).
Also wondering, has anyone tried this with commercial booze?
Let's say you take a cheap bottle of Jack Daniëls. And then just add a bunch of their chips. Wham bam, old Jacky Dee for free.
Now that you mention it...

Last year, before I went down THIS rabbit hole, my son brought home a small bottle - 375ml of Jim Beam Honey :esurprised:
Only problem is he left it and took off with my bottle of Old Forester Signature.
I had a bag of JD chips and for the helluva it, put a handfull and the JB in a jar, stuck it in the freezer.
Then it goes outside in the still 80-90 degree heat.
This has been going on a while, when I've tasted it it's sickly sweet to me. So I put it in the freezer and forgot about it.
Occasionally I stop by the local ABC - state store - to see what's new and how it's being marketed.
My version of going to the mall. Went by Friday and noticed that Evan Williams Green Label - 80 proof - was $8.99 for a 750 ml bottle.
Thought what the hell. For that, I'll cut the JB and try nuking it.

Emptied the JB and chips into a quart Pyrex mixing cup then topped it off with the EW and covered with a loose top.
It had been sitting outside so starting temp was 80F
Nuked it for 1 minute in 1200W and temp rose to 112F.
Stirred and after another minute it was at 147F.
I then added the third minute on 80% and it was at 172F.
(remember not only is it 40%, it has honey to crank up the heat)
At that point, I covered it in plastic wrap to catch the condensation.
After about 30 minutes here's how it looked.

(The JB when new was the same color as the EW)
Tasting it it's still sweet and it has a little bitterness. I assume from tannins from too many chips.
And it's a bit of the taste of JD and I don't like JD.
Anyway, I drained it back in the bottle with no chips and have it sitting in the fridge.
(and I can't say why I put it in there).
I'm thinking of doing 2-3 more nuking sessions but with toasted oak - no char.
My analysis is
1. If you don't like Jack, don't use Jack chips. (Wasn't that stupid!)
2. Be careful how much you put in and don't let it get overdone.

Otherwise, welcome to suggestions.
Attachments
Nuclear Evan Williams.jpg
blackmoor
Novice

Post by blackmoor »

To you suggestions, tried to search from my country's shops, with grill wood search term.

found these:

http://bbq.savustintukku.mycashflow.fi/ ... chunks-oak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://bbq.savustintukku.mycashflow.fi/ ... rel-chunks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

pricewise would be lot cheaper, maybe 20 euros with shipping...would these work?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

The second one would get you started... the real barrel chunks .... if they are too large you can split them into smaller pieces. and rechar or toast them at your desire...

have fun and HAPPY STILLIN

FS
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Now you see - I'm the reverse ! Oak has only a few usages in it and the second one says it has been used multiple times so tastes of whisky. I don't think that will perform as "oaking oak" as it were.

For our purposes - Scotch really wants a second usage barrel, US Whiskey wants new oak.

I actually do my Scotch on New oak sticks and have also just done one on a batch on sticks I used previously. It has come out fine. The "SHerry" / "bourbon flavour" is easily enough added with a few mls of (in my case cream sherry) the actual spirit. So for Jack Daniels ? - Well how about 20 ml of Jack Daniels per Gallon in addition to the oak ?
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Bamaberry wrote: I then added the third minute on 80% and it was at 172F.

You should leave it uncovered until it cools. That lets some of those harsh heads steam off, leaving a much smoother drink. I do this with low end stuff sometimes, nuking to 170F or so in a mason jar and letting it cool uncovered.
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

This is a great topic/thread. I'm in the third cycle nuking some rum w spices. It seems to be working great. I haven't tried any yet but considering what I'm reading-I'm expecting some good sheet. 4-5 L of spiced for the holiday, time "nog up"
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

masonsjax wrote:
Bamaberry wrote: I then added the third minute on 80% and it was at 172F.

You should leave it uncovered until it cools. That lets some of those harsh heads steam off, leaving a much smoother drink. I do this with low end stuff sometimes, nuking to 170F or so in a mason jar and letting it cool uncovered.
Leaving it uncovered kinda defeated the purpose IMHO
You want the vacuum on it to help penetrate the oak and when you break the vacuum it releases it back out and over and over.
This nuke thing works like a charm and I use it expecially on rum if I decide to oak it, it even works well on clear likker.
I've taken headsy sf and made it better in 5 cycles and it also took alot of the sugar bite away, I did However let it sit under vacuum in the fridge for a month but man was it good stuff after.
This method is the real deal and I for one am a believer.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Having some time over the long weekend and just being a curious sob, I decided to "Nuke age" a 1qt jar of the Roasted Barley Rye. I used 1 3/4x3/4x4" white oak stick that was toasted and charred AND also used once for a USMJ jar. I was a bit concerned about putting 65%ABV into the microwave, but hey guys get into little capsules and get shot into orbit right? I did 4 complete cycles 2 minutes (1200W) temp about 145, seal set on counter to room temp. Nice color, very very drinkable at this stage however, the same run I have aging "normally' for just about 2 weeks or so, already is giving a smoother taste. My take away...if ya want to get it in a hurry and don't want white, go for it. It DOES have the characteristics of oak aging. But I think the smoothness and full development come with time.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Moonbeam
Novice

Post by Moonbeam »

Couldn't alcohol loss through vaporization be a problem with this method? Heating up the spririt in such an uncontrolled system as a microwave one could easily exceed the boiling point of the ethanol.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Loss very minimal. Read the thread on this...goes back a ways
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Start with post one about 31 pages back .... :shock: :mrgreen:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Moonbeam wrote:Couldn't alcohol loss through vaporization be a problem with this method? Heating up the spririt in such an uncontrolled system as a microwave one could easily exceed the boiling point of the ethanol.
Welcome
Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg
Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 6627 times
I noticed you just joined today but have quite a bit of experience.
I've been here almost 6 months, NO experience, so I am a NOOB.
Let me offer constructive criticism you will see here often:
READ READ READ
Without getting off topic, this is a thread I am very interested in.
I read the WHOLE thing, all 31 pages, through once. And yes, there is a LOT that I would say is off topic.
(You are either worried about blowing up or not. If you are worried, don't do it.)

After I read it, I still continue to skim it here and on other forums. Maybe it's overkill.

If you ARE interested, do the work. Go back to page 1, and read. I'll suggest since it is so long, you might just read FullySilenced's posts. That saves time and keeps you focused on his logic and process.

If you still have questions, you'll find it easier to get the answers.
Cheers!
:mrgreen: