Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by Durhommer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:19 pm

interesting will have to invest in a good sherry any certain sherry KB
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:51 pm

You'll probably want to get a Oloroso style sherry.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:39 am

thanks cayars
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

conodor
Novice

Post by conodor » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm

I have a convection/microwave oven. It comes with a metal rack. i leave that in there when i nuke a piece of pizza. It's easy to remove. The entire inside of the microwave is metal.

Just want to verify that there's no concerns using this style of microwave.

Thanks!

still_stirrin
Master Distiller
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:33 pm

conodor wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm
...Just want to verify that there's no concerns using this style of microwave...
RU nutz? It’s your damn microwave....and you don’t know if it’s safe ot not to cook metal in it?

I’d say, if you don’t know...then you’d better unplug it right now before you hurt yourself. You’re dangerous. :wtf:
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
Enzyme info: SebStar
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser

Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:55 pm

conodor wrote:
I have a convection/microwave oven.
Does it have an option to just nuke without convection?

If so, it would just be working as a regular microwave if you choose that option.

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:26 am

Microwave mode only shouldn't be an issue...

Convection isn't required...

Happy Stillin

FS

conodor
Novice

Post by conodor » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 am

still_stirrin wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:33 pm
conodor wrote:
...Just want to verify that there's no concerns using this style of microwave...
RU nutz? It’s your damn microwave....and you don’t know if it’s safe ot not to cook metal in it?

I’d say, if you don’t know...then you’d better unplug it right now before you hurt yourself. You’re dangerous. :wtf:
ss
Some people on this site make it difficult for new people to feel comfortable here. I've read a lot on this site and I've see so many posts where people rip into someone and have no idea what they are talking about. This is a prime example.

There's more advanced microwaves out on the market since the 70s that ONLY microwave. They are a microwave/convection oven combo. It's a microwave by default, and you hit a button to change it over to convection oven mode.( electric heater with a fan basically) It has a metal rack inside the machine. It stays in there on either mode. So YES you can cook metal in a microwave. Due to the fact that it's held to the side of the microwave with plastic clips there's no issues with arc.

But if you would have read my comment completely rather than just rip on a guy with low post count you can see i didn't ask can I put metal inside a microwave. I asked if there was a concern with using a convection/microwave oven. Due to the fact that it has the combo feature on it. What I've read I didn't see anyone mention this.

Post counts don't equal IQ... Don't call someone "nutz" and "dangerous" if you don't know what you are talking about, or can't even spend 10 seconds to read their entire post. I think i'm going to go find a forum that isn't so aggressive.
Last edited by conodor on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

conodor
Novice

Post by conodor » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 am

FullySilenced wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:26 am
Microwave mode only shouldn't be an issue...

Convection isn't required...

Happy Stillin

FS
FS/Bagasso,

Thanks for the sensible replies, Yes it's microwave by default. This is my 2nd micro/convection, i rarely use the convection part of it. Once or twice while cooking for a large party basically when i needed a 3rd stove.

I searched all over and couldn't find any draw backs due to the convection oven option. I took the rack out, did 30 - 45 second burts with no issues. I wouldn't use the convection portion with the spirits inside.

cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:22 am

I honestly have never had a combo unit like that, so really know nothing about the combo units.

But if the rack does come out then the safe bet might be to remove it when nuking a jar. You may need to remove it to fit the jar anyway.

Chances are you would be fine but if you want to try it, the safe thing to do would be to take it outside and try it on a couple of jars and have a fire extinguisher near by just for safety reasons.

You are probably 99.99% safe using it AS IS, but why take a chance if you can greatly reduce any potential fire hazard by trying it outside first?

Another option would be to pick up a dedicated microwave just for this use. I just saw a small microwave that fits a quart/liter mason jar for $29.95 at Walmart yesterday. I know it fits a mason jar because the MW and jars were 2 row away from each other so I grabbed a jar and tried it in the display unit. I almost purchased it myself just for use near the still but I already have 2 working microwaves so...

Right now is a great time to purchase things like this with "black friday" sales going on assuming you are in the US.

Just food for thought.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.

VLAGAVULVIN
Trainee

Post by VLAGAVULVIN » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:13 am

conodor wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 am
I think i'm going to go find a forum that isn't so aggressive.
Bro, looks you didn't see the mess that happens on the Russian forums...
:silent:
гохард или пнх.gif

Never make banana brandy. And never ferment potatoes: better make banana brandy... Oct.20, 2019

Watching your run is making me lazy (c) James LaBrie

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:55 pm

On my last spirit run of SF, I think I may have grabbed a jar too many from the heads, due to feeling a bit under the weather. At any rate, rather than nuking, I think Im going to set up my Anova immersion cooker, set the temperature of the water bath, and give a test jar a soak. I think I can better control the temperature of the booze this way than I can using the microwave.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

kyolic
Novice

Post by kyolic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 pm

A video of nuclear aging with UJSSM:

SGB
Novice

Post by SGB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:16 pm

IMG_20200721_203442.jpg
Been doing wood chip infusion for my ujssm from just about the beginning. I had first started with coffee beans, black tea but after I started experimenting with wood I just stuck with it because its so damn good. Just read on the news some craft distiller is doing it as well. I think the physics of infusion be it from a barrel or chips is the same. Obviously, in a barrel it takes longer compared to chips. I usually get results in hours if using wood chips on their first run and days if already used. I use a tropical red oak, has really good flavor. In my opinion it's just as good as the big boys I cut my chips small 3/16x 2 inch, bake them then torch them black.

VLAGAVULVIN
Trainee

Post by VLAGAVULVIN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 pm

SGB wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:16 pm
I think the physics of infusion be it from a barrel or chips is the same.
Infusion, but not [further] transformation. The chemical magics happen across the border of phases.

Two hints might be helpful:
A) Take out and dry your chips periodically (and then drop'em back).
B) Saturate monthly your infusion with air oxygen (by means of pump, syringe, etc.).

Bon chance!

Never make banana brandy. And never ferment potatoes: better make banana brandy... Oct.20, 2019

Canuckwoods
Bootlegger

Post by Canuckwoods » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 am

I understand the O2 but what does drying the chips do?

VLAGAVULVIN
Trainee

Post by VLAGAVULVIN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:17 am

Canuckwoods wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 am
what does drying the chips do?
For the sake of the angels' share :lol:

Gas exchange occurs through the wall of the cask, one side of which is in contact with the environment, and the other is constantly wet. There is a moisture gradient in the thickness of the wall: the air is in contact with the liquid somewhere within the wood mass. The contact area is rather large and significant to work out the beverage profile. It would be nice to simulate this process.

I think the most desirable "true-ish" oxidation occurs in a piece of wood, partially dry / partially wet. Or dried-to-soaked alternately...

SGB
Novice

Post by SGB » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 pm

Yes I do dry them out, but to reuse them. Sometimes will drop the back in the jar if I feel it needs more flavor or color. If I can possibly distill more than I drink I can try the in n out dry n wet more time process.
Thanks for the tips!

VLAGAVULVIN
Trainee

Post by VLAGAVULVIN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:46 pm

You are welcome. And don't try to dry them super fast in your MWO just after you picked them out of your spirit. If you don't wanna get a campfire inside...