"WILD" OAK

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CRACKERCREEK
Swill Maker

"WILD" OAK

Post by CRACKERCREEK »

I live in a area that has many types of oak and recently I cut down a tree for a neighbor. I split the oak and dried it on a grill off and on for a few days. finely when it lit almost instantly once the grill ignited i figured it was dry enoough. I further charred it to an almost alligator char. Now its in the jar with some 120 proof sweet feed shine. It has turrned a greyish dirty water color ? is this just part of the char doing its thing I plan to leave it on this heavy charred oak for about a week then transfer it to a jar with a medium toasted oak. Well am I on track for something halfway decent? or wrong track alltogether. I have read some of the other posts but none really refer to what I am doing here.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: "WILD" OAK

Post by Dnderhead »

did you quench the wood? that is usually its quench or dip it in water while its hot right out of the fire.
CRACKERCREEK
Swill Maker

Post by CRACKERCREEK »

Dnderhead wrote:did you quench the wood? that is usually its quench or dip it in water while its hot right out of the fire.

I quenched the wood using a very light fine mist becuase I did not have access to enough steam.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

A few notes:

1. Use only the heartwood
2. Season the oak for a year. I know this is counter-intuitive but it needs to oxidize. Do it in a nice warm dry place. Ever walk into an antique furnished house and smell that sweed wood? That's a mixture of cherry and oakwood oxidizing.
3. When you roast the wood, do it for a long time at a lower temperature, it should be the color of light-chocolate or a medium-roast grade of coffee. I know with Rum they like lots of charcoal but they are using the barrel to filter the spirit, not solely to add flavor.
4. As said here, blanch the wood in hot water several times. This will get rid of excess tannin.
5. After washing, feel free to do charring if necessary. It will not be as astringent without tannin because you will be left with less wood acid and more carbohydrates/byproducts instead, giving good caramel taste.
6. Last but not least be patient, spirits will begin looking grey or even pink before they take on a beautiful gold, yellow, green or brown.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Make sure there is no ASH on the charred wood when it goes into your spirit.

Hardwood ashes were leached for their caustic soda content for soap making :sick:
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
CRACKERCREEK
Swill Maker

Post by CRACKERCREEK »

Great help all.
The wood isnt heart wood, it is a mix. I did clear the ash off. And It wasnt seasoned Ill do better next time. I hope I didnt f up this batch. Guess it could just be re-distilled.

Any one use the store bought oak chips. or JD chips to toast up and toss in?