Post aging flavoring

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

riotontheroad
Novice

Post aging flavoring

Post by riotontheroad »

I have a run of bourbon that I have recently just finished aging (charred oak in mason jars). The smell and taste came out great, but Id like to experiment with adding some flavors to a portion of it. Any suggestions? Vanilla, black cherries, peppper, etc....im open to anything. Thanks guys!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Post aging flavoring

Post by Bushman »

Lot's of different flavoring you can add mostly personal preference. I sometimes add vanilla beans, also if you like orange flavor I sometimes add the following:
Wash and peel an oranges and make sure you have taken off all of the white rind; otherwise it will come out bitter. Slice the orange into strips.
Dry the orange peels for 1 hour @ 50°C. Set aside to cool.
Add the orange peels, cinnamon, clove, oak and vanilla bean
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Vanilla always works good. With just about everything we make. I like tossing a bean in when aging on oak.

Everything else is personal taste and availability.

Cinnamon can be over done quick. So use it sparingly. And keep some back to dilute it. If you over do it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
riotontheroad
Novice

Post by riotontheroad »

Thanks for the advice. Im going to flavor a small batch starting today with vanilla bean, orange peel, and a few peppercorns. I will be tasting it every few days, but what kind of timeline should I expect?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The orange peel will come on quick. And can over power it fast. Talking like hours.
I used some in a rum. At 6 hours it was good. The next day it was horrid.

Vanilla takes some time. Talking like weeks.

Peppers corns I've only used with other strong flavors. So I can't comment on how fast or strong it will be. I've never had it overpower anything yet. Check daily for a while to gauge progress.

Temps play a role in the whole process too. Warmer temps will go quicker. For most things. But not all will show a big difference.

It will just take some experimenting to figure out what's best for you.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This is my Grande Marnier recipe: I am posting it so you can see how I prepared the orange peel, also a warning about watching it while in the oven.
This is my modified recipe, I think it is pretty close with a bit spicier flavor than the actual Grand Marnier but served it last night to family members and they all loved it!

Grande Marnier

Ingredients
1 liter 45% (90 proof) vodka/ neutral
The peel of 2 good size oranges
10 Tablespoons invert light brown sugar syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Add 1/4th cup raisins for 4 days
Agave syrup if needed at end for taste

Directions
Peel the oranges and using a micro planer remove the pith ( white stuff just inside the skin). You can cut it away as well as if you don't get all the pith it's not as bitter as lemon but the micro plane is much easier and really does a nice job of removing it.

Place peel white side down on a baking sheet and put under broil until the edges turn dark and just start to look like they are going to burn (when it gets close you have to keep a good eye as they catch fire fast). Turn over and brown the white side.

Add peel to spirits with some JD chips for color and leave for 2 weeks.

Prepare brown sugar:
2 cups light brown sugar
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Bring mixture just to boil stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
(If you want thinner syrup you can add another 1/2 cup hot water at the end of simmer)

While sugar is still warm take 10 tablespoons out and add to spirit (the rest can be saved in a small mason jar for another batch).

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to spirit and stir or shake
Add 1/4th cup white raisins for 4 days

After 4 days you can serve or age longer on oak but I would remove the raisins as I left mine in longer which gave it a spicer taste.

I also added small amounts of Agave syrup before bottling and tasted it until I felt it was right for me.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

This would be great to have in the Tried and true!