The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Post by Badmotivator »

der wo wrote: badmotivator, perhaps you never brought experimenting with sticks to a quality, which would be fair to compare it with your barrels?
I'm sure that you are right. I believe that sticks can make a fine drink. If my barrel idea was never born, I'm sure that I would have chased down more satisfactory methods of aging in glass such as you have, and I would certainly have achieved much better results than my early attempts. I don't think that I will ever be able to make a claim about the relative success of these barrels vs. the best non-barrel methods, because I just don't want to do the controlled experiment that would be required. Anyway, if that experiment were performed by somebody more neutral than me it would have a lot more power. :)

Oh, you added red text to my post. I am colorblind, so I can only see that if I look very carefully. In answer to the red stuff: I think I added a medium-toasted no-char spiral to 3 L of UJSSM and left it for a little more than a year in a sealed glass jar. I did not allow any respiration. After that time, my impression was that the spirit had only gained oak flavor but had not really transformed any of the unpleasant new-spirit character. I now have an understanding about why, and many good ideas about how that could be fixed, including your ideas.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Badmotivator wrote:
.............Oh, you added red text to my post. I am colorblind, so I can only see that if I look very carefully. ......
No axe to grind on this thread, but I have the same issue with "Red" text - Jes on the "you tube thread" changed the colour of his interjections to dark blue, at my request and I find that much more obvious and much easier to read. It woud be helpful to those of us who have this problem, if that would become a standard colour for this process :D
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. Perhaps I should add, that I don't think the barrels will produce a worse result than sticks. But I am not sure if it is worth the effort. Perhaps you remember, I posted this already earlier in this thread.
I understand, that now since you have worked it out, the tools the processes and everything, you will not go back to sticks. For me, I know I will have to stop the hobby in late summer for a while, and I don't want to start something new like this now.

Ok. I will use dark blue in future.
Edit: Oh, I see, blue looks much less agressive. Perhaps I get much nicer replies in future. :D
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Fantastic, Bad.
I had the idea the pots were conical (a bit wider at the top) but it looks as though they are truly cylindrical.
Is that right? It is a bit hard to tell from pictures; I have been searching the interweb for conical ones without success.
In fact there are not a lot of cylindrical ones...
Thanks,
Geoff
The Baker
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

The Baker wrote:Fantastic, Bad.
I had the idea the pots were conical (a bit wider at the top) but it looks as though they are truly cylindrical.
Is that right? It is a bit hard to tell from pictures; I have been searching the interweb for conical ones without success.
In fact there are not a lot of cylindrical ones...
Thanks,
Geoff
All of the inexpensive "Bain Marie Inserts" that I have bought have been slightly conical. If I remember correctly the sides are only about 1.5 degrees off of vertical, which might be hard to see in a product photo. I tried searching for a seller in Australia that carries them and failed. Sorry.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I think he can use any stainless steel pot he finds. All of them are slightly conical. They wouldn't get the press out of the pot if it wasn't conical.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks Bad and der wo.
Geoff

P. S. I guess they are slightly conical so they will stack, too. G.
The Baker
hausflicker
Novice

Post by hausflicker »

I joined a while ago at the start of a new still build, but have been at a bit of a stand still (money, man!) and haven't had much to share and ended up lurking, but yesterday I bottled some of my first spirit run that I'd put into a homemade version of BadMo's barrels and thought I'd jump in and share some promising results.

Like I said, it was my first spirit run, a bourbon mash, and it was far from perfect. But I put some of it in a BadMo barrel, a 4 qt bain marie that I cut down to hold just over 2 liters (I did some math to precisely match the SA/V ratio of 53 gal barrels, but it was so long ago I don't remember how it worked out), put some of it on toasted and charred oak cubes, and kept some white.

Unfortunately, I had some weeping problems around the stainless spicket that got pretty bad in the 90+ degree heat we've had recently, so I called it after 9 months. But even after such a short period of time, the difference between the BadMo Barrel aged stuff and the cubed age stuff is stark. "Oaked," vs "aged" has real meaning here. The cube infused spirit was definitely oaky, with sweet caramel and vanilla additions, but it still tasted like my poorly cut white dog underneath it all, while the bain marie aged spirit was cleaner, smoother, and more unified. I think it was on the way to being something good.

I think you're definitely onto something BadMotivator, I look forward to seeing more on this experiment.
vg30e
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vg30e »

That is an awesome build. Badmo, is it possible to take the cover off and put it back on? or does it just swell and become permanent? Reason being, you can easily put different flavor wood chunks inside the Bain-Marie as well and get a really complex flavor profile.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I suppose you could try it. You would need to rig up a way to pull with crazy force on the head. This could be accomplished several different ways: 1) screw-eyes installed in the outer face, used to pull out the head, 2) a T-shaped metal piece inserted through one of the holes, used to pull out the head, or 3) heating the nearly-empty barrel with some water inside, with the tap and the bung closed, to create enough pressure to cause the head to push itself out.

But I ain't gonna do any of that. Any way you do it sounds like a nightmare to me. Barrel heads may be used once or twice, and then I will replace them with new heads.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

So how are you planning to remove the old heads to install new ones when you do? Just curious to that side of it if you don't mind me asking.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

yakattack wrote:So how are you planning to remove the old heads to install new ones when you do? Just curious to that side of it if you don't mind me asking.
I think that Bad Mo just described three ways to do so - I'm sure that there are other ways

OVZ
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

yakattack wrote:So how are you planning to remove the old heads to install new ones when you do? Just curious to that side of it if you don't mind me asking.
I have done it many times when a head has failed to seal up and needed to be re-headed. It's a mess and it's loud. I remove the bung and the tap and then dig at it with a hand jigsaw. At some point I can bash and break all of the pieces of the head out of the barrel. It's no fun, but it only takes a minute, and no care at all.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

I made a bung puller from a 3 pound car body dent puller. I had mangled many bungs while prying them out before trying this. I don't know if this would work as good on the BadMo heads because of the larger size but it may be worth a go. :eugeek:
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Here's a fun little head-scratcher! I harvested some bourbon some months back from barrel No. 2. I thought I might reuse the barrel for some rum, and set it aside in the shop and kind of forgot about it. When I finally looked at it again, the head had dried out enough to pull cleanly away from the can. But look how it warped!
IMG_748.jpg
IMG_749.jpg
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i've built a lot of decks and wood always warps opposite to - if the grain goes like this )) it warps like (

if you get the piece out the middle that looks like )o( , well shit, it just splits.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

HDNB wrote:i've built a lot of decks and wood always warps opposite to - if the grain goes like this )) it warps like (

if you get the piece out the middle that looks like )o( , well shit, it just splits.
Interesting observation. I have seen as well recently. I just did a lot of toasting experiments with oak sticks 2cm x 2cm x 15 cm and long story short, every piece of oak I toasted that split while toasting had the )0( grain. And also, the split was across the grain.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I just emptied my Bad Mo Barrel of Booners corn after 8 months, smells and tastes nice. Maybe that's why the angels took so much :cry:
BMangelshare.JPG
OVZ
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Oldvine Zin wrote:I just emptied my Bad Mo Barrel of Booners corn after 8 months, smells and tastes nice. Maybe that's why the angels took so much :)
OVZ
Cool, OVZ. I'm glad you're happy with the flavor. Did you harvest early because of the loss rate?
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Here's a thing I didn't know could happen: I got myself a shop press so I could press in the heads without struggling with a bunch of clamps or mallet work. It works very well; it's stronger, faster, and gives me better control. But...
IMG_3139.jpg
IMG_3140.jpg

Damn. It might be that this bucket had a defect (others in the same group are fine) or I pressed it in with unusual force. Anyway I'm not sure how I'm going to prevent this happening again.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Addendum:
What really sucks is that this didn't happen when I was pressing the head in, it didn't happen during the swell test, it didn't happen when it sat dry for a week, it happened spontaneously in the middle of the night after I marked it and affixed the brass badge. Weird.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Badmotivator wrote:
Cool, OVZ. I'm glad you're happy with the flavor. Did you harvest early because of the loss rate?
Yea that was one part of the decision to harvest, the other was that I had just made a batch of worcestershire sauce and wanted to age it on oak. So far the head sealed up nicely, maybe the thicker than bourbon consistency and all the sugars in the sauce sealed the joints??
I hope that you are not too offended by my use of one of your beautiful creations to age something other than alcohol. Rest assured that I take as much pride in my sauces as I do with my beverages.

Sucks about the metal fatigue on your latest experiment, hopefully it was just a faulty tub to begin with.

OVZ
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Worcestershire sauce? Awesome! I'm the furthest thing from offended! I hope the barrel brings good results.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

I've got a gallon of C.O.B. aging in a gallon size BadMo Barrel and 5 quarts of home made malt vinegar in a 6 quart Badmo. About 5 weeks now. They both went in the same day.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Badmotivator wrote:Worcestershire sauce? Awesome! I'm the furthest thing from offended! I hope the barrel brings good results.
:thumbup: If it turns out good there will be a jar with your name on it.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

sipping some booners casual corn from that bad mo barrel :thumbup: :thumbup:

OVZ
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'm sipping on some rum I aged in mine. It's kinda in between a 10 and 15 gallon barrel as far as taste and abv loss. I haven't actually tested the abv but I know from the bead and taste.

This is a pretty good product for the hobby distiller or a micro distiller that needs to do some r and d. It's not exactly like a barrel but it's so close, and it just works really well for small batches.

Bottom line is I've got some more testing to do but I'm going to buy some more because this idea and this product works.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Could you do some custom oak? Like it would be a pain in the ass but but I would pay you for it.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Are these for sale now then? Where can we buy them from please...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

rubber duck wrote:Could you do some custom oak? Like it would be a pain in the ass but but I would pay you for it.
What do you have in mind?