Wood Profiles - Black Cherry

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

onewhiskyguy
Novice

Wood Profiles - Black Cherry

Post by onewhiskyguy »

I've acquired a grip of woods. I'm currently at 16, but working on acquiring 20 more, or even more as I find suitable woods. I find this topic(http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... =4&t=33487) interesting. Some of these woods are tried and true and very well known, but others are hardly used. I lurked around here for years and have tried a few of these and think it might be good to have a wood profile topic for each of these. My hope would be that people could discuss projects they have done, tasting profiles they have found, ideas relating to a specific type of wood. My personal interest is in Scotch type single malt Barley's. I hope to eventually have made a bottle for each type of wood and to let it age for years as I slowly taste. I want a Malt library unmatched by any other in the world.
Black Cherry.jpeg
In this photo is Black Cherry wood. From left to right is Raw, Medium Toast, Heavy Toast. I used Pigroasters profile to toast these(400F for 1 ¾ hours and 450F for 15 minutes. Result Medium Toast, 450F for 35 minutes for Heavy Toast). As I work my way through these I will likely char these to varying degrees.
akira7799
Novice

Re: Wood Profiles - Black Cherry

Post by akira7799 »

I bought some black cherry to do some experimenting with as well. I'll toast the sticks at 200C for 2 hours (my medium toast) and the then char.

I plan on adding them first to a sugarhead.

Down the road they'll go into an AG.

I'll also update with results, notes, and tasting notes.

Gimme at least 6 months, most likely a lot more.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

Where are you getting your woods from onewhiskyguy? I'm looking forward to your various results!
onewhiskyguy
Novice

Post by onewhiskyguy »

I'm getting there slowly......quite a backlog of stuff to do. I'm up to around 25 bottles aging. A few of them have some of the black cherry wood. I took about a 6 month break, but just busted out the still again(30L and 10L Alembic)
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

I really like the black cherry, either on it's own or blended with some aged on oak.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

Please keep it up and please keep us posted onewhiskyguy. Any idea when we're likely to hear some results?