Candy Infusions

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Candy Infusions

Post by C2H5O5 »

Been playing with Candy Infusions with my last few runs and here's what i got.
20160929103 (Custom).jpg
20160927106 (Custom).jpg

I had my brother, sister in law and a close friend help me sample some of the candy infusions I had made, my wife does not drink.
Armed with some ice, wings, corn dogs and some other appetizers we went to work, we were pouring half shots over ice.
Root beer, Butterscotch, Tootsie Roll, Caramel, Apple Pie and Dreamsicle were served ice cold from the refrigerator.

Disregard the tweak specifics,
These were all poured over ice and sampled as is;
  • Lemonheads 60 proof - three thumbs up
  • Jolly Rancher Watermelon 60 proof - OK but up the candies by 5 and a wee bit strong, cut to 50 proof
  • Jolly Rancher Grape 60 proof - OK but up the candies by 5 and a wee bit strong cut to 50 proof
  • Jolly Rancher Cherry 60 proof - OK but up the candies by 8
  • Jolly Rancher Blue Raspberry 60 proof - passed by the majority but my brother absolutely loved this, but up the candies by 4 and a wee bit strong cut to 50 proof
  • Red Hots 60 proof - three thumbs up, folks went back fora second hit of the Red Hots., I was the only one that thought it was slightly too sweet.
  • Sweet Tea 40 proof, OK as a mixer (not a candy infusion)
  • Dreamsicle, three thumbs down but may be able to salvage in a punch. (not a candy infusion)
  • Butterscotch - 35 proof- Three thumbs down, this would be salvageable with upping the candies but I won't bother making it again.
  • Jolly Rancher Green Apple - 40 proof - one of my faves, but not for everybody.
  • Wertherers Caramel, 35 proof - Three Thumps up, folks went back for another hit of this as well.
  • Candy Cane (peppermint) 60 proof - OK but could be better, upping the candies a bit will help.
  • Root beer - 60 proof? Three Thumbs up, will probably do a larger run and cut to 20 proof for bottling, we all went back for a larger shot of this and one of the testers had a second hefty glass of this.
  • Tootsie Roll - @ 40 proof was absolutely amazing three thumbs up! could not taste the alcohol at all, this will be bottled in lower proof next year. By the end of the night this bottle was more than half finished!
  • Kahlua - 35-40 proof - This was just some Tootsie roll with a bit of instant coffee, everyone like it but felt it wasn't as good as the tootsie roll by itself.
The top 4 in order were;
Tootsie Roll (unanimously), Root beer, Caramel and a tie between the Red Hots and Lemonheads.
My SIL Really liked the watermelon also.
Since I was the only Sour Apple lover, it didn't make the top 4 as a group.

I have a few more jars of hearts that I will be setting aside to bottle some Tootsie Roll
Other observations:
  • add a shot of Lemonheads to the sweet tea for an awesome Arnold Palmer
  • Cut last years Apple pie with some fresh cider, proof is about 18 proof, three thumbs up
  • Add a shot of Candy Cane Peppermint to Tootsie roll for a Chocolate Mint.
  • Add a bit of instant coffee to the Tootsie roll for a Kahlua

Still working on;
  • Limoncella
  • Blueberry maceration
I lasted until about 6:00 am before I decide to call it quits!
I think we all needed this after a rough week at the hospital with dad having a valve replacement and a bypass.
I will be updating my E-book with these candy infusions, I like to mark successful recipes with "Tried and True" in the title.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Re: Candy Infusions

Post by Johnny6 »

I'm curious to try the Tootsie Roll recipe. What was the starting proof when you did your infusion? How many candies did you use (per quart)? Sounds like a fun experiment and testing session!
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

Yes, please share the tootsie roll recipe, that might be something my better half will try.
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Here's what I did but you can definitely make it stronger.
*Note, the tried and True means that I have made this with success and does not mean that is HD Tried and True!.
“Tootsie Roll”
*Tried and True
20160930002 (Custom).jpg
  • 16 oz. 100 proof
  • 50 Midge Tootsie Rolls
Fill a 33 oz. Bottle with 100 proof. Place tootsie rolls in a 16 oz mason jar, cover tootsies with hot water and shake, once dissolved top off with cold water, shake again and add the tootsie Roll syrup to the 33 oz jar = 50 proof
Optional, shake a few times after refrigerated and strain, you can also spoon off the top if poured in a large mouth mason jar, shake then skim the foam, I prefer to strain it several times after shaking so I don't skim off too much from the flavor profile. *Place in the refrigerator.

I will weigh the midges next batch so any size can be used by weight.

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I did this with skittles once for a friend, but back in the day with commercial vodka. Separated all the different colors. It was spot on with skittles. It worked like really well. Only thing was you had to filter out the wax like stuff before bottling, though. Just dissolved the candy in the alcohol. But great.

Thanks, C3PO. This was a cool thread. Good job. :thumbup:

PS. Where the hell does everyone keep getting these flip tops? Love 'em.

Edit. posted same time with op
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Greenthorn wrote:Yes, please share the tootsie roll recipe, that might be something my better half will try.
If your better half does not like the taste of Alcohol, she will enjoy the 50 proof.

C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I did this with skittles once for a friend, but back in the day with commercial vodka. Separated all the different colors. It was spot on with skittles. It worked like really well. Only thing was you had to filter out the wax like stuff before bottling, though. Just dissolved the candy in the alcohol. But great.

Thanks, C3PO. This was a cool thread. Good job. :thumbup:

PS. Where the hell does everyone keep getting these flip tops? Love 'em.

Edit. posted same time with op
Just a heads up, these are rubber stoppers on these. I have not yet cut my replacement teflon washers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CU ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

If your better half does not like the taste of Alcohol, she will enjoy the 50 proof.
Yes, she loves the fruity tooty stuff, mostly a chardonnay drinker though.
On my way to wally world.
1 midge is approx. 3 grams
152 in a one pond bag, so says google.
Thank you
GT
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Instead of using candy, use LorAnn flavorings. These are the concentrated flavors used to make candy. You can buy them on line or in most craft and bake shops. The bottles are tiny because it only takes a couple drops.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Hound Dog wrote:Instead of using candy, use LorAnn flavorings. These are the concentrated flavors used to make candy. You can buy them on line or in most craft and bake shops. The bottles are tiny because it only takes a couple drops.
That was actually my first choice for flavoring until I realized the candies provided the sweetness, flavoring and mouth-feel.
With that said, the advantage of the flavorings is you can dictate the sweet - flavoring ratio.

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

C2H5O5 wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:Instead of using candy, use LorAnn flavorings. These are the concentrated flavors used to make candy. You can buy them on line or in most craft and bake shops. The bottles are tiny because it only takes a couple drops.
That was actually my first choice for flavoring until I realized the candies provided the sweetness, flavoring and mouth-feel.
With that said, the advantage of the flavorings is you can dictate the sweet - flavoring ratio.
The problem with candies is that they impart a shitload of sugar into your final product... Nobody needs that much sugar in their diet, especially diabetics like myself... Flavorings don't impart much if any sugar at all... Some folks have to think about their health and what they consume 24/7/365... Just because someone isn't diabetic now doesn't me they won't be... Never thought I would be diabetic but decades of drinking Rumple Minze like it was water proved otherwise... I'm lean, mean, and diabetic... :esad:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

rad14701 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:25 pm
C2H5O5 wrote:
The problem with candies is that they impart a shitload of sugar into your final product... Nobody needs that much sugar in their diet, especially diabetics like myself... Flavorings don't impart much if any sugar at all... Some folks have to think about their health and what they consume 24/7/365... Just because someone isn't diabetic now doesn't me they won't be... Never thought I would be diabetic but decades of drinking Rumple Minze like it was water proved otherwise... I'm lean, mean, and diabetic... :esad:
This thread was one that was referenced in : "Jolly Ranchers?"]

Like Rad, I'm trying to eliminate sugar & carbs from my diet.

Just so happened the day I read this SMBO brought home some Simple Syrup to add to coffee:
Vanilla Simple Syrup.jpg
I can say that at least when adding it to coffee it is VERY sweet without the bitter artificial taste.
(I don't know if this link will work but they have a bunch of flavors - Skinny Syrups

One thing I guess is just a matter of personal choice. I spent years thinking about how to add different flavors in the still.
Then it dawned on me it's a helluva lot easier to add to your finished product by mixing a cocktail.
Right now I'm drinking, not distilled Apple Rye, but bourbon mixed with sugar free Fuji Apple soda - 60 cents at Walmart.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

C2H5O5 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:23 am Been playing with Candy Infusions with my last few runs and here's what i got.
20160929103 (Custom).jpg
20160927106 (Custom).jpg

I had my brother, sister in law and a close friend help me sample some of the candy infusions I had made, my wife does not drink.
Armed with some ice, wings, corn dogs and some other appetizers we went to work, we were pouring half shots over ice.
Root beer, Butterscotch, Tootsie Roll, Caramel, Apple Pie and Dreamsicle were served ice cold from the refrigerator.

Disregard the tweak specifics,
These were all poured over ice and sampled as is;
  • Lemonheads 60 proof - three thumbs up
  • Jolly Rancher Watermelon 60 proof - OK but up the candies by 5 and a wee bit strong, cut to 50 proof
  • Jolly Rancher Grape 60 proof - OK but up the candies by 5 and a wee bit strong cut to 50 proof
  • Jolly Rancher Cherry 60 proof - OK but up the candies by 8
  • Jolly Rancher Blue Raspberry 60 proof - passed by the majority but my brother absolutely loved this, but up the candies by 4 and a wee bit strong cut to 50 proof
  • Red Hots 60 proof - three thumbs up, folks went back fora second hit of the Red Hots., I was the only one that thought it was slightly too sweet.
  • Sweet Tea 40 proof, OK as a mixer (not a candy infusion)
  • Dreamsicle, three thumbs down but may be able to salvage in a punch. (not a candy infusion)
  • Butterscotch - 35 proof- Three thumbs down, this would be salvageable with upping the candies but I won't bother making it again.
  • Jolly Rancher Green Apple - 40 proof - one of my faves, but not for everybody.
  • Wertherers Caramel, 35 proof - Three Thumps up, folks went back for another hit of this as well.
  • Candy Cane (peppermint) 60 proof - OK but could be better, upping the candies a bit will help.
  • Root beer - 60 proof? Three Thumbs up, will probably do a larger run and cut to 20 proof for bottling, we all went back for a larger shot of this and one of the testers had a second hefty glass of this.
  • Tootsie Roll - @ 40 proof was absolutely amazing three thumbs up! could not taste the alcohol at all, this will be bottled in lower proof next year. By the end of the night this bottle was more than half finished!
  • Kahlua - 35-40 proof - This was just some Tootsie roll with a bit of instant coffee, everyone like it but felt it wasn't as good as the tootsie roll by itself.
The top 4 in order were;
Tootsie Roll (unanimously), Root beer, Caramel and a tie between the Red Hots and Lemonheads.
My SIL Really liked the watermelon also.
Since I was the only Sour Apple lover, it didn't make the top 4 as a group.

I have a few more jars of hearts that I will be setting aside to bottle some Tootsie Roll
Other observations:
  • add a shot of Lemonheads to the sweet tea for an awesome Arnold Palmer
  • Cut last years Apple pie with some fresh cider, proof is about 18 proof, three thumbs up
  • Add a shot of Candy Cane Peppermint to Tootsie roll for a Chocolate Mint.
  • Add a bit of instant coffee to the Tootsie roll for a Kahlua

Still working on;
  • Limoncella
  • Blueberry maceration
I lasted until about 6:00 am before I decide to call it quits!
I think we all needed this after a rough week at the hospital with dad having a valve replacement and a bypass.
I will be updating my E-book with these candy infusions, I like to mark successful recipes with "Tried and True" in the title.
Wow. That is one hell of a experiment.
Nice going🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.