first barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

freefall
Swill Maker

first barrel

Post by freefall »

I have finally been able to fill a 20ltr barrel. I am added late heads and early tails. all hearts. This was an UJSSM. The flavor seems pretty simple. I am sure a good grain bill would help. We will see what a year on oak with a once used bourbon barrel with a vanilla bean will taste.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: first barrel

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Congrats! Good luck with the flavors and let us know how it goes! :)
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

I've had Sweet Feed on oak for 4 months and the vanilla aroma from the oak along was very strong(No Bean Added). I have my 20L refilled and will let this one sit until next year Christmas. I was using a new barrel. Good luck with it.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I am going to see how it is coming along this week. It has been about a few months. The goal is to have it good to go for my nephews wedding. I plan on giving him enough, So that he and wis wife can toast their anniversary every year for the next 50. So between 1 and 2 gallons. I am also going to bring some for the after reception party.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Just cracked open the barrel last night. I had 145 going in and it is at 144 now. Loving my Angels. I was never a whiskey fan.....Until now. Being how hot it was in the crawl space. I would say 9 months was a bit long for oaking...as far as color goes. But the flavor was incredible. The vanilla bean in it just gave a back flavor. just enough to make you want to take another sip. I had friends over...they also agree. It was a big hit.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

freefall wrote:Just cracked open the barrel last night. I had 145 going in and it is at 144 now. Loving my Angels. I was never a whiskey fan.....Until now. Being how hot it was in the crawl space. I would say 9 months was a bit long for oaking...as far as color goes. But the flavor was incredible. The vanilla bean in it just gave a back flavor. just enough to make you want to take another sip. I had friends over...they also agree. It was a big hit.
Ain't nothing like a good barrel treatment, freefall. Six month's whiskey in mine... waiting ...waiting
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I didn't mind the waiting..I was never a fan of whiskey. And It was up in the crawl space..I pretty much forgot about it. But My nephew is getting married. . i want to give him a half gallon to toast on their anniversary every year. If they run out...I will give another half gallon. lol. Not sure how much I actually lost I would say about 2 quarts. I definitely lost a bunch trying to pour out of the barrel..
Note to self....always fill a few extra jars before having a few drinks.
Can't thank everyone on the boards enough for some great advise along the way.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

freefall wrote:I didn't mind the waiting..I was never a fan of whiskey....
Barrels not only change the whiskey. They change our acceptance of whiskey.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Agreed...
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Gave my nephew a gallon of the whisky I barreled as a wedding gift. to toast with yearly on their anniversary. He said it was just like a buddies who runs a distillery. So I made it to step one. Next is to make some hbb after I do my flute so I can get to a proper craft whisky level.