C.O.B. status

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

C.O.B. status

Post by still_stirrin »

Several months ago (10 months, actually), I started a COB excursion. TSC cracked corn, grocery store "quick" oats, and LHBS 2-row malt. I followed the prescribed process for gelatinizing and mashing the grains, starting with the -HTL then the -GL enzymes. OG was 1.070+/- for all 30 gallons (brewed in 3 separate 10-gallon batches). I always lauter my mashes, so these were all fermented "off the grain" in 3 "serial" ferments.

After each of the 10-gallon ferments completed, I stripped it (27 3/4 gallons, accumulated) and stored the low wines (8.4 gallons @ 28.8% ABV, accumulated) until ready for the spirit run. All runs were pulled from the potstill (for flavor retention). I collected roughly 12.5 liters of 125 proof spirit for aging (after all cuts).

I put the spirit into three separate 5 liter oak casks and aged for 5 weeks in my utility room where it gets to mid-90*F when the furnace is running (during winter its cold outside so the furnace runs a lot). After the 40-days in the cask, I removed the spirit and put into 2 liter mason jars, each with 3 chunks of bourbon barrel stave approximately 2" long (each). They've been in the jars roughly 2-1/2 months now.

Coming out of the cask, the bourbon had a nice light amber color with a pleasant bourbon-like oakiness. But the caramel and vanilla notes were not yet developed. So, I was hoping that more time and the staves would improve this character. But since the continued aging in glass with the staves, the jars have all developed a nice soft caramel sweetness and the vanilla aroma and flavor is coming through now as well. And the color has darkened to a dark amber/garnet red now.

Since it is still at cask strength, I have only sampled very little periodically. But I am optimistic this COB will be a knockout. The oats have added such a soft transition between the corn sweetness and the barley. This bourbon is very pleasant even at cask strength although I will temper down to 90 or 100 proof for bottling. The flavor is rich and smooth with just a hint of warming in the throat and chest. You know it's real whiskey and it invites a 2nd taste every time.

I am looking forward to springtime when I will bottle this whiskey. Now, if "old man winter" would just scurry away...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: C.O.B. status

Post by bitter »

Congratulations! Most all grain seam to turn out well.

B
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: C.O.B. status

Post by bilgriss »

Sounds like a great combination. I'll look forward to an update when the time comes.