ultrasonic aging,, Im a believer!!

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

partonken
Bootlegger

ultrasonic aging,, Im a believer!!

Post by partonken »

I just tried 4 - ten minute cycles in my new ultrasonic cleaner on a batch of whiskey . I kept a control bottle and the difference is incredible to say the least. I would dare say that the whiskey had a 6 year old smoothness. I had a bottle of 3 year old LCBO CC whiskey and it was smoother than it was. I am now a believer and i will be using it to pre treat any whiskey going into a small barrel , rum, or vodka. cheers ken
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: ultrasonic aging,, Im a believer!!

Post by Mikey-moo »

Well done Ken.

Do you stand the bottle in an ultrasonic bath or do you pour the whiskey in the ultrasonic bath itself?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am guessing you use the technique that Odin describes, same as I use. I wouldn't say I get a 6 year aging but it's a great kickstart before aging in the barrel. I add JD chips while giving it a bath. What is the size of your US machine? I like the 1/2 gallon one I bought on eBay.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Was there a loss in the %ABV ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Mikey-moo wrote:Well done Ken.

Do you stand the bottle in an ultrasonic bath or do you pour the whiskey in the ultrasonic bath itself?
If you scroll down in this thread you will see airhill just poured it in and ran 5 , 5min sessions.http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... nic#p23605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow I noticed that some on ebay have different wattages. Does anyone have experience here ? I'm interested
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

:idea: IDEA: Ultrasonic barrel :idea:
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

thinkin that's maybe kinda what Tim Smith is doing... ? but who knows they are saying patent pending...
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

partonken wrote:I just tried 4 - ten minute cycles in my new ultrasonic cleaner on a batch of whiskey . I kept a control bottle and the difference is incredible to say the least. I would dare say that the whiskey had a 6 year old smoothness. I had a bottle of 3 year old LCBO CC whiskey and it was smoother than it was. I am now a believer and i will be using it to pre treat any whiskey going into a small barrel , rum, or vodka. cheers ken
Was your whiskey already oak aged? and for how long? did you put any oak in the ultrasonic cleaner?

I ordered a 6L ultrasonic clear a few days ago and can't wait till its delivered.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

greggn wrote:Was there a loss in the %ABV ?
I've never experienced any loss.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

greggn wrote:Was there a loss in the %ABV ?
no loss in ABV% I ran it up to 40 C in temp and it got a bit warmer by about 1 degree C
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

vqstatesman wrote:
partonken wrote:I just tried 4 - ten minute cycles in my new ultrasonic cleaner on a batch of whiskey . I kept a control bottle and the difference is incredible to say the least. I would dare say that the whiskey had a 6 year old smoothness. I had a bottle of 3 year old LCBO CC whiskey and it was smoother than it was. I am now a believer and i will be using it to pre treat any whiskey going into a small barrel , rum, or vodka. cheers ken
Was your whiskey already oak aged? and for how long? did you put any oak in the ultrasonic cleaner?

I ordered a 6L ultrasonic clear a few days ago and can't wait till its delivered.
Yes, it was aged on heavy toast white oak for 2 weeks and distress aged in and out of the freezer(outside, i live in canada) lately its been -20. No oak in the ultrasonic just poured 6 litres of whiskey and ran it through 4 -10 minute cycles. I bought mine from trendtimes.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

FullySilenced wrote:thinkin that's maybe kinda what Tim Smith is doing... ? but who knows they are saying patent pending...
I seen the episode. Its probably the same thing but time will tell.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

Bushman wrote:I am guessing you use the technique that Odin describes, same as I use. I wouldn't say I get a 6 year aging but it's a great kickstart before aging in the barrel. I add JD chips while giving it a bath. What is the size of your US machine? I like the 1/2 gallon one I bought on eBay.

I bought it from trendtimes USA, and it will hold 6 litres of liquid. Ill have to check the power setting on it. It works!
willee
Novice

Post by willee »

You might want to check the ultrasonic cleaners that are sold for reloading bullets.
Most sporting goods stores that carry reloading supplies (Horniday, Lee).