Aging on fruit.

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Happybrew
Novice

Aging on fruit.

Post by Happybrew »

Can someone point me in the direction of some information on aging on fruit. I ran some dragon's blood the other day and have a gallon of really nice Lemon/berry schnapps I'd like to age on some strawberries. Info on aging times and amounts would be appreciated. Everything I found via search, seemed to pertain to mashing fruit. Thanks.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Aging on fruit.

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Happybrew wrote: I ran some dragon's blood the other day
Ive been around a while , I got no idea what this stuff is, can someone help me ?
Happybrew
Novice

Post by Happybrew »

Lemon Berry wine. There are a bunch of recipes for it that are all a little different. But if you are familiar with skeeter pee, it's basically that with mixed berries.
My recipe for 6.5 gallons is:
3 16oz bottles pure lemon juice.
10 lbs of sugar
8 lbs frozen mixed berries
1/4 tp tannin
Water to 6.5 gallons.
Ec 1116 rehydrated
Fermaidk in 3 part staggered addition and degassing.
3 weeks primary at 66f.
6 months secondary.
Stabilize however you prefer, and backsweeten with one can Old Orchard berry blend, frozen juice concentrate.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You might get more useful results searching for steep, steeping etc., rather than for 'aging'.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I did a strawberry liqueur last year - just a few berries and a little sugar in a half gallon of whitedog. (Maybe 1lb strawberries) - It has come out as a liqueur ok with (to my taste) too much strawberry flavour and too "syrupy" so I advise that you just put a few berries in there and taste it regularly. Trial and error I think is your way forward on this one, after all the effort you seem to have put in with the ferment etc. - Do let us know how it goes ! 8)
Happybrew
Novice

Post by Happybrew »

NZChris wrote:You might get more useful results searching for steep, steeping etc., rather than for 'aging'.
Good to know, thanks,
Ended up experimenting with a small amount. 300ml on 50 grams of berries. It was about right for me after a week. I made the rest of the batch up at that ratio (3ml/g). I didn't use any sugar. The berries alone were enough for the flavor I was looking for, and even some nice color.