Going for a Crown Apple / Crown Vanilla...

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

Going for a Crown Apple / Crown Vanilla...

Post by joeymac »

My goal is to experiment with a UJSSM style sugarhead and then hopefully put together an AG whiskey after some experience in adding flavor/aging to my drink.

I used a standard UJSSM base spirit, double distilled (stripped and then a Spirit run of multiple strips with backset added to the boiler). I collected 20 jars and was left with 6 jars @ 71% after the cuts. I tempered the white liquor to 110pr and split it up into 8 jars holding 600mL each. Each jar had around 2.375oz of rinsed clean JD barrel smoking chips added to it (which increased volume of each jar +100mL). I then prepared some granny smith and honeycrisp apples by slicing the meat off the cores and then slicing the chunks into approximately 3/16" slices. I also prepared some Madagascar vanilla bean by cutting and splitting the 1" long pieces lengthwise with a razor. After reading many good things here about maple syrup helping with smoothness and mouth feel, I got some pure maple syrup. Finally, I ordered some ptfe liners for long period aging. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I left a full jar of 110 proof white dog just as a comparison.
Jars 1 & 2: JD chips + 1tsp Maple Syrup
Jars 3 & 4: JD chips + 1tsp Maple Syrup + 1" vanilla bean (split in two)
Jars 5 & 6: JD chips + 1tsp Maple Syrup + 2/3 granny smith & 1/3 honeycrisp apple (sliced)
Jars 7 & 8: JD chips + 1tsp Maple Syrup + 2/3 granny smith & 1/3 honeycrisp apple (sliced) + 1" vanilla bean (split in two)

I plan to leave it 14-21 days as recommended in mash rookie's jack daniels chip aging thread. I took a picture with one of each kind of jar after 1 day and it already had some good looking color. Although it's now day 3 and the apples are starting to turn a bit brown and I'm wondering if I should leave the apple slices in for the entire 2-3 week aging duration. (??) Not sure if I used too much apple either... I didn't read too much guidance around here on the apples for making a whiskey with some subtle apple in the background. A lot of threads on apple brandy and apple pie, but not too much info really aimed at whisky with an apple touch (only two or three threads mentioning a Crown Apple recipe). Heck, I half-considered dropping a green Jolly Rancher in there instead. :lol: But I do think the oak should be OK as mash rookie's thread said to just fill 50% with oak chips. The vanilla bean and maple syrup had a bunch of good threads here on additions and tastings too, so I feel confident with those.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Going for a Crown Apple / Crown Vanilla...

Post by bitter »

Carmel is another good addition.

Typically things with sugar are added after aging when cutting to final strength so you can still check % and adjust accordingly.

Mix a little rye in your UJSSM if you want to get closer. I really like about 5-10% rye in my UJSSM.

You might also want to looking at aging longer with sticks not chips. Look at aging the T-Pee way.

I have some 2 year old UJSSM (On one my last bottles) and its super smooth now.

B
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

bitter wrote:Carmel is another good addition.

Typically things with sugar are added after aging when cutting to final strength so you can still check % and adjust accordingly.

Mix a little rye in your UJSSM if you want to get closer. I really like about 5-10% rye in my UJSSM.

You might also want to looking at aging longer with sticks not chips. Look at aging the T-Pee way.

I have some 2 year old UJSSM (On one my last bottles) and its super smooth now.

B
It's my first UJSSM spirit run... so I need some drink NOW. So chips it was. :ebiggrin:
I actually have my next gen UJSSM going with corn and oats (50/50)
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Take really narrow cuts and it will be good to drink faster.

Patience is on those hard things with this hobby... and building up drinking stock.

I'm just starting to get a decent stock

At 60-65% unless indicated
3G UJSSM (All over 1 year old)
1G Booners
1G Hook Rum
2.5G Odins Easy gin (45% was 5g but it gets drank)
5G Sweet Feed on oak
2G sweetfeed White
2/3g of Innis and Gun Gumball (46%)
Some neutral also.. not sure how much
about 1G 100% Barley once I make the run.
Bottles here and there I bottled.

Keep it up and you will get there. Its nice to have stock over 2 years old. Ideally trying to ensure my drinking stock is 1-2 years old

B
Last edited by bitter on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

bitter wrote:Take really narrow cuts and it will be good to drink faster.

B
+1

Oaks delay drinking. And nuking ain't the same.

Do some panty droppers for immediate drinking. The ladies will get on board, too. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
bitter wrote:Take really narrow cuts and it will be good to drink faster.

B
+1

Oaks delay drinking. And nuking ain't the same.

Do some panty droppers for immediate drinking. The ladies will get on board, too. :thumbup:
I thought my cuts were pretty conservative... I only kept about 6 of 20 jars and sent the other 14 back into the feints keg to make neutrals when it fills up. I read several accounts of oats being outstanding and that oats take awhile to age. But when it's ready oats can be incredibly smooth. My plan for the 50/50 corn-oats UJSSM is long term aging. least a year.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Everything you said is true. However, I said oak :ebiggrin: . There was a random 's' on there, but I meant the wood :lol:

To many people put liquor on oak and then want to drink it under 4 months. Just not worth it if you ask me.
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

Ahhh, you did!

Speaking of OAK times though, I thought that's the allure of the JD chips... being previously used they have already had many of their tannins leeched and are thought to be much more mellow than new toasted/charred Oak. Handful of long time posters in mash rookies thread seemed to think the JD chips were surprisingly nice. Although I do want to try the T-pee way as well as making a BadMo Baine Marie barrel. I'd love to do a 5 gallon actual barrel, but that would take probably 4 months for me to fill.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

In my experience, it still tastes like oak flavored white until the time has passed. If you want to drink it young, drink it white, or make something with it. Just my opinion, though. It may be OK, but every pint of 2 week oaked white that you drink is a pint of 6 month old whiskey that you won't have. Ain't worth it to me, anyway.

And JD chips or not, it's still wood. Allot of the flavor is used up the first time, but there's still plenty of everything. There isn't any magic that turns once used wood into an instant gratifying oak stick. In my experience, the only difference is you need twice as much 2ND used oak as you do fresh.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:In my experience, it still tastes like oak flavored white until the time has passed. If you want to drink it young, drink it white, or make something with it. Just my opinion, though. It may be OK, but every pint of 2 week oaked white that you drink is a pint of 6 month old whiskey that you won't have. Ain't worth it to me, anyway.

And JD chips or not, it's still wood. Allot of the flavor is used up the first time, but there's still plenty of everything. There isn't any magic that turns once used wood into an instant gratifying oak stick. In my experience, the only difference is you need twice as much 2ND used oak as you do fresh.
+1 Shine On - Drink your young stuff white or drink beer instead, while you wait for your aged to age.

OVZ