Oak question

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fortbuilder825
Novice

Oak question

Post by fortbuilder825 »

I have a bunch of red oak trim (planed, not treated in any way) from a remodel project.
Can I char that up for some aging sticks?
I know that it can't be used for barrels due to it's cell structure, but can I use it for aging?

Also - I have found several oak pallets, that are delightfully weathered, can I clean them up, char them and use them for aging as well?
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Oak question

Post by dieselduo »

I personally don't like red oak. As far as the pallets go, almost all of them are treated with chemicals
fortbuilder825
Novice

Post by fortbuilder825 »

dieselduo wrote:I personally don't like red oak. As far as the pallets go, almost all of them are treated with chemicals
Good to know! Many thanks
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I don't have the same "Oak" as you, but I use English oak Quercius robur (& variants) which has been lying in the woods for a few years maturing. Cut like kindling, toasted and charred - works fine. - It seems your "white oak" would be preferable.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

dieselduo wrote:As far as the pallets go, almost all of them are treated with chemicals
I can contribute some information on this particular subject. Fact is, most pallets are NOT treated :thumbup:
Cost to much for a product that gets destroyed so quickly. And as time goes on, and prices go up. Less and less pallets are fumigated with MB.
Look for a IPPC Logo stamped on the pallet. It is a requirement to be stamped these days.

[HT] = Heat treatment.
[MB] = Methyl Bromide. <---- to kill off invasive species like pine beetles. Do not use ! It is a neurotoxin and carcinogen.
[DB] = Debarked.
[KD] = Kiln Dried.

Of course if it's an old skid, or no stamp can be seen, best not to use it. I cannot speak if HT or KD would still be good for oaking. I'm sure another member knows that info.
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Oak needs to be out in the weather and go through several washing and drying cycles which wash out harsh tannin and promote microbial activity that reduces astringent compounds.
You can acquire kiln dried rough sawn boards, but using them immediately is a mistake (one I've made myself). They need to be weathered (a year at least) and then air dried (give it six months outside, but sheltered).

These were cut from the same board, but only one makes drinkable product.
QA Oak.jpg
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Easiest way is to get a half barrel planter at the lumber yard . The price of the ones falling apart can be negociated down . One half barrel cleaned up , retosted . and some sticks charred will flavor more drink than most hobbyists will make in years .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .