Whole wine barrels at Menards

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Whole wine barrels at Menards

Post by 700G »

Seems like a good deal. I might have to go back and snag one of these:
wine.jpg
stillin' when I shoulda been buyin'
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Whole wine barrels at Menards

Post by Truckinbutch »

Take a lot of stillin to fill one of them . Be sure they aren't wax coated on the inside . Comparative price isn't bad considering that I paid north of $200 for a 5 gallon Gibbs barrel .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Be sure to take a wiff before you buy- there could be some nasty stuff in there. Also wine barrels are toasted not charred and depending how many times they were used they might be a neutral barrel.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Truckinbutch wrote:Take a lot of stillin to fill one of them . Be sure they aren't wax coated on the inside . Comparative price isn't bad considering that I paid north of $200 for a 5 gallon Gibbs barrel .
Hard to do better than a new Gibbs barrel for flavor

OVZ
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Take a lot of stillin to fill one of them . Be sure they aren't wax coated on the inside . Comparative price isn't bad considering that I paid north of $200 for a 5 gallon Gibbs barrel .
Hard to do better than a new Gibbs barrel for flavor

OVZ
Thank you for sharing that . Makes me feel less of a fool for buying one . They are well made .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Be sure to take a wiff before you buy- there could be some nasty stuff in there. Also wine barrels are toasted not charred and depending how many times they were used they might be a neutral barrel.

OVZ
you could char it yourself though, good use of fores, thow some fores in and shake it all about and light it on fire. :)

read about someone doing that on an other forum, the barrel made a sound like a jet engine and did a dance in the garden until it was out of fuel, not to be tried inside...
Don't be a dick
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Truckinbutch wrote: Thank you for sharing that . Makes me feel less of a fool for buying one . They are well made .
Butch, you ain't got no course for feeling like a fool. I got a new Gibbs barrel at the same price, and I will do it again. I also picked up a 55 gallon buffalo trace barrel for $80 from my local brewery. Guess which one was a better investment? I'm going to get 5 fills, 3.5 years of barrel use from the Gibbs, before I have to use sticks in it, or cut it down for its staves.

The 55 gallon was a drunken impulse buy, and in the end I had no practical use for it. When I realized how heavy it was empty, I didn't even want to deal with it for a masher/fermenter/thumper in one. But I knew one crazy butcher that would either use it for that reason, but more likely to also fill the SOB when he gives the pigs and cows a pardon for the summer. Figure in a few years that investment might come back :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
crazy
Novice

Post by crazy »

[/quote]

The 55 gallon was a drunken impulse buy, and in the end I had no practical use for it. When I realized how heavy it was empty, I didn't even want to deal with it for a masher/fermenter/thumper in one. But I knew one crazy butcher that would either use it for that reason, but more likely to also fill the SOB when he gives the pigs and cows a pardon for the summer. Figure in a few years that investment might come back :thumbup:[/quote]

Or another option for the 53 gallon barrels is what Blondie done with one of my Four Roses barrels
Attachments
Blondies barrel table
Blondies barrel table
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

Might have to get one cause it would look nice in the new stillin room at least. :)
stillin' when I shoulda been buyin'
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

wish id seen them. they'd have made a cool chair for my still area
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917