Only Orange Zest / Orange Rind

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BDF
Swill Maker

Only Orange Zest / Orange Rind

Post by BDF »

Read a lot of threads talking about using orange zest or the whole peel in combination with other spices and or oak for various spiced liquors. Also came across more than a few fermenting oranges. I didn't find much reporting back on flavoring with orange alone. Apparently some people hang a piece of orange above their distillate in the aging jars to allow the vapors alone to come into contact with the fruit, but that seems like more work and I wanted some orange color. So I'm making this thread to talk about my experiments.

What I've got going so far:
1 pint jar UJSSM - 120 proof - Hearts - Pot Stilled - Zest of 1 orange removed with micro-plane tool (stayed above the white part, only top layer of skin)
1 pint jar UJSSM - 120 proof - Hearts - Pot Stilled - Rind of 1 orange removed with vegetable peeler (still stayed above the white part, only top layer of skin)

Put them down yesterday, and the one with zest immediately started to take on some color, and both ways of skinning the orange smelled great. Using the peeling tool I think got more overall from the orange, but also cut deeper and closer to the bitter white bits, and since it came out in large pieces it will have less surface area than the zest alone will which might affect the rate at which it flavors. I'll be checking them daily in case this is something that goes quickly, dunno if it will cloud, if I would need to chill-filter it, or if doing so would remove the very oils giving flavor.

My goal is a light orange flavor, with a noticeable orange smell, no bitterness, and definitely no sugar added. I attempt to avoid sweeteners in all of the stuff I plan on drinking, with the exception of a teaspoon of glycerin here or there depending on the recipe.

Edit: Results!

After two days each jar had plenty of orange flavor, I found the jar with zest rather than peel to be a bit better (ever so slightly less bite), however I attribute that to it being easier to avoid the white of the orange with the microplane than it was anything else. I watered down to 90 proof (from 120), added 1 tablespoon glycerin per jar (2 total). Actually had almost too much orange flavor before watering down.

It's a nice sipping drink, glad I used corn whiskey as a base as it gives it a bit of character, the orange flavor isn't overpowering, smells like an orange creamcicle. Also, if it makes any sense, this does NOT taste like orange juice at all, it isn't even acidic. It tastes how a fresh orange smells.

I put a bottle aside for aging as I've done this with rather young white whiskey, so I expect it would smooth out with time. Pic attached for color, was pretty light.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by BDF on Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Only Orange Zest / Orange Rind

Post by der wo »

But sugar would help, if it turns out bitter... You will see, if you need it.

And if the color doesn't remain nice orange, but get ugly brown, think about using something against oxidation next time. Perhaps ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or citric acid. A small amount almost not tasteable should be enough. I have used successfully citric acid in a maceration of red pine cones to maintain the nice red color. Storing it dark helps to maintain the color perhaps too.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

If it turns out unpleasantly bitter I'll just end up rerunning it. Using UJSSM with the corn in the background on its own helps to round out many flavors in a way I like. Sugar + booze tends to mess with me, even when staying hydrated or taken in moderation, I don't understand the mechanism but I've experienced the effects enough to know to avoid it when possible.

On Citric acid and oxidation, nice tip, I'll keep an eye out for browning, thanks!
Last edited by BDF on Tue May 30, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Here I wrote:
I have read, 5g citric acid per liter help to remain the red color and improve the taste. Without it oxidation will cause a color change after a time.
I used only 1g per liter. Now almost one year later, the color is still nice.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

der wo wrote:Here I wrote:
I have read, 5g citric acid per liter help to remain the red color and improve the taste. Without it oxidation will cause a color change after a time.
I used only 1g per liter. Now almost one year later, the color is still nice.
Thanks der wo, for including the measure of citric acid you have had success with. 5 does seem a bit extreme. I have been messing with different amounts of acid in my panty droppers, but none of that has lasted long enough for anything to change color, so I was not sure which "dose" was good to use. :-).
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Probably it is not needed to add citric acid to a panty dropper against oxidation. It depends on the ingredients. But normally there is some fruit juice or lemonade in it, which has enough acids. But I never made a panty dropper.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Updated OP with results. Will probably keep a bottle of this around when I want something lighter. Also really instructive as to what kind of flavor will be added in spiced mixtures that include orange zest. Not bitter whatsoever.